Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 01:51:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peugeot Sport Diesel Hybrid by end of 2008  (Read 6672 times)
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »

Peugeot Sport will present by the end of 2008 a competition Prototype powered by the Diesel hybrid technology!

According to LMES.net

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:30 pm »

Jean Philippe Collin, the managing director of Peugeot, announced this at a press conference at the Geneva Motor Show last week.

Could they possibly be thinking of previewing this at Le Mans this year?

Ade

Le Mans - the how you get there is not quite as important as being there.
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:04:17 pm »

Diesel hybrid technology!

What the hell does that mean Huh
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »

Diesel hybrid technology!

What the hell does that mean Huh

Diesel engine with KERS (kinetic energy recovery system), i.e., braking produces energy, this energy is then recovered & reused.

"KERS is basically an efficient CVT gearbox joined to a flywheel that rotates when the cars undergo braking. The stored energy can then be used to boost acceleration for overtaking and cornering."

For the technically minded: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/09/26/kers-technology-revealed/

Ade
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:30:16 pm by ajw » Logged

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »

Diesel engine with KERS (kinetic energy recovery system), i.e., braking produces energy, this energy is then recovered & reused.

"KERS is basically an efficient CVT gearbox joined to a flywheel that rotates when the cars undergo braking. The stored energy can then be used to boost acceleration for overtaking and cornering."

Ade

So it's similar to my son's collection of eslatic band model planes then Wink Grin
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:18:22 pm »

Ade

So it's similar to my son's collection of eslatic band model planes then Wink Grin

Yep, but the elastic bands will of course be bigger. Grin

Ade

mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:01:46 pm »

Surely thats just more that could possibly go wrong during an endurance race  Huh

or can the car run properly if that system fails?

They have lumps of what round the back???
goodduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »

i would assume that if the system failed the diesel engine would continue working without any problems. Im sure we will see more and more manufacturers going down this road *toyota*. i cant wait to see what kind of performance gains it will have.

looking for 2 General Admission tickets for 2023 24H Le Mans race only but will buy anything available.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:34 pm »

"The ACO is currently studying specific rules for LMP1 (cars) which will be equipped with KERS.  This regulation will meet the balance of performance between LMP1"

This is an extract from the 2008 'Sporting Regulations' as issued by the ACO.

What I believe this to mean is that if any vehicle fitted with KERS displays a significant performance benefit, regulations will be put in force to (somehow) slow it down again.

The ACO has a bit of a bee in it's bonnet about overall lap speeds (for safety reasons), and are taking steps to ensure that the lap times do NOT dip below 3min 30secs by bodywork and air restrictor mods, so anything else that is introduced to speed up a vehicle will be pounced on.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
nickliv
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »

"The ACO is currently studying specific rules for LMP1 (cars) which will be equipped with KERS.  This regulation will meet the balance of performance between LMP1"

This is an extract from the 2008 'Sporting Regulations' as issued by the ACO.

What I believe this to mean is that if any vehicle fitted with KERS displays a significant performance benefit, regulations will be put in force to (somehow) slow it down again.

The ACO has a bit of a bee in it's bonnet about overall lap speeds (for safety reasons), and are taking steps to ensure that the lap times do NOT dip below 3min 30secs by bodywork and air restrictor mods, so anything else that is introduced to speed up a vehicle will be pounced on.

Del

BUT they will be let off the congestion charge.

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 12:53:14 pm »

Flywheels??  So will the Peugeots appear with a piece of traction engine bolted to the roof.

This has been tried before and the weight of the flywheel has to be quite a few percent of the weight of the vehicle, and this extra weight just about cancels out any advantage.  There is also the gyroscope effect - when you push it, it turns left instead

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: