Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 01:37:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Car Weekly. Legends report  (Read 2332 times)
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2003, 06:18:41 pm »

In this weeks CCW, is an article on the legends race at Le Man, written by Matt Skelton. With some great photo's,  Quote.
Anyone who has been to Le Mans will tell you it's a special event and, having now seen it for myself, I know that it is. From a British point of view this years race was particualarly memorable and, from a classic enthusiast's perspective, there was a huge amount to enjoy aside from the awsome spectacle of the 24-hour marathon proper.
For starters, thousands of Brits made the journey in classics of all shapes and sizes. Driving anywhere around Le Mans in the days leading up to the race was like being part of a mobile and very friendly classic car show!and, come the race week end, the Le Mans orginisers showed that they were keen to pay homage to the history of what is probably the greatest motor racing event in the world.
The star classic attraction was the "Le Mans Legends event-a one hour race with a driver change that took place on the Saturday morning. Featuring many cars that that originally ran at Le Mans between 1959 and 1971, it provided a spectaacle that got the blood pumping and the memories rolling back for the very knowledgeable crowds.
The sight of historic Ferraris, Fords, Porsches and many others being driven at full chat in the hot La Sarthe sun was quite incredible.
Overall victory went to Willie Green in a 1971 Ligier JS3-his fastest lap was only a few seconds shy of that recorded by the TVR team in qualifying for the race proper!
Classic Jaguars were also well represented as the marque celebrated the 50th anniversery of the legendary Le Mans victory for the C type of Duncan Hamilton and Tony Rolt-the first  time a car won with an average speed in excess of 100 mph. As a result, many C types journeyed to the circuit, and all of them paraded on the circuit to a rapturous reception.
And of course there were a large number of vintage Bentleys present in anticipation of a return to victory lane for the great British marque for the first time since 1930. And when it came, the reaction from the British among the crowd was as enthusiastic as it must have been 73 years ago. Unforgettable.

I have entered the pice as it was written, for those of us that may not be able to get hold of a copy of CCW.
I think the Author has been bitten by the LM bug.
Take care.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
IanB
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 06:49:01 pm »

No W S for you this week!! you must have writers cramp!!
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 10:10:24 pm »

did you read the Le Mans legend report in July issue of Automobile Historique ?

This is probably the only one report written by a CA member... and it's available in English !!! The pictures are really great !  Shocked

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 04:47:30 pm »

Gilles I will try and get hold of a copy.
Thanks.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: