Club Arnage
May 01, 2024, 12:15:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question Regarding Thinking  (Read 6794 times)
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:32 am »

A question........ Undecided

I was wondering if anybody could explain the ACO's thinking about only allowing teams to re-fuel cars when they first enter the pits?

Over the course of the weekend we had teams re-fueling damadged cars before then taking them into the garage for repairs.  Should anything go wrong I wouldn't want to be the one sitting alongside a car full of fuel!! Shocked

Just having an extreme thinking moment!!

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:26 pm »

Petrol is not that dangerous, the bit that is dangerous is the petrol fumes which is highly inflamable and likely to expode

So it would make sence to fill the tanks and reduce the chance of expolsion.

May be that is why they do it. - unless someone knows different?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
24hourman
CA Veteran

Racing is life everything else is just waiting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:49:31 pm »

I believe the reason for the new refuelling  rule is so that there is no possibilty that the car pulls out of the pits with the refuelling rig still connected a la F1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:17:09 pm by 24hourman » Logged

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:34 pm »

An associated question:    There was a new rule this year that the cars had to be earthed before refuelling could start.  Anyone see/know how this was achieved?

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:54 pm »

Would that be done via the jacks?  I seem to remember the car went up on jacks regardless of having tyres or not.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:03:29 pm »

Would that be done via the jacks?  I seem to remember the car went up on jacks regardless of having tyres or not.

No - they cannot be (weren't) jacked up whilst refuelling.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:07:43 am »

I've never understood why they refuel before jacking up the car to do other things. Yes, I know they can't touch the car (except screen-clean etc) while fuelling, but the car weighs considerably more with fuel, so the jacking system has to work harder. I always throught the idea of endurance racing was to limit the stress on components so they'd go the full 24. This procedure does exactly the opposite.

Baffuled!

Missing Termietermite
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:43:53 pm »

I loved the dance of the mechanics during tyre changes this year and the ACO complaining 'you can't do it like that'. Grin

Chuck Dressing put it perfectly when I think he said "when is the ACO ever smarter than the team bosses?'
Pastis_JPC

A long way from home - 4.2 light years in fact!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:56:35 pm »

Petrol is not that dangerous, the bit that is dangerous is the petrol fumes which is highly inflamable and likely to expode

So it would make sence to fill the tanks and reduce the chance of expolsion.

May be that is why they do it. - unless someone knows different?

Spot on!! You're far better off having an incident with a full tank than with a tank full of virtually nothing but fumes.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you!
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »

Spot on!! You're far better off having an incident with a full tank than with a tank full of virtually nothing but fumes.

Ah, yes, as in a jet off Martha's Vineyard a few years back?

So what about the diesels, then? Quite hard to ignite diesel fumes, I think, and isn't it even heavier?

Missing Termietermite
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:34 am »

Surely "same rules for all" - if its a safety issue then that draws the line for all.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:55 am »

An associated question:    There was a new rule this year that the cars had to be earthed before refuelling could start.  Anyone see/know how this was achieved?

Del

Hi Del,

I don't know how the other teams did it, but at the KSM pit they used an earthed cable which was clipped to the central locking of one of the wheels at each stop.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:56 am »

Ah, yes, as in a jet off Martha's Vineyard a few years back?

So what about the diesels, then? Quite hard to ignite diesel fumes, I think, and isn't it even heavier?
Diesel fumes are even easieer to ignite I believe, you don't even need a sparkplug to ignite it in an engine!

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:30:04 am »

Diesel fumes are even easieer to ignite I believe, you don't even need a sparkplug to ignite it in an engine!

But at 22:1 compression - a typical diesel ratio, I think - lots of substances can get a bit funny!

Missing Termietermite
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:44 am »

But at 22:1 compression - a typical diesel ratio, I think - lots of substances can get a bit funny!

Diesel fuel has low flammability, leading to a low risk of fire caused by fuel in a vehicle equipped with a diesel engine.

The United States Army and NATO use only diesel fuel engines and turbines because of fire hazard. Diesel does not explode in a manner such as gasoline does, it just slowly burns.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:50:11 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: