Club Arnage
May 15, 2024, 02:03:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do carrefour Sell Turkeys  (Read 25887 times)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:51:06 pm »

Does anybody know if any of the large Hypermarkets sell Turkeys?

We're investigating the possibilities of a Turn 10 style deep fried Turkey cook-out.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:21:40 pm »

All supermarkets sell turkey portions and the like, whether there are any whole ones about I don't know.  Have no Carrefour hereabouts but will check Super U and Inter-Marche 'cos if they have them, Carrefour will.  Look for "Dinde". Undecided

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:23:49 pm »

Thanks Termie. I know they do portions and fillets, just can't recall ever seeing whole birds. That said, I've never looked either.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:19:11 pm »

Mark,

If you can't find them on the shelves,

Ask at the meat counter,because in France unlike here most of their meat is cut on the premesis and there are usually butchers on hand to assist Wink

Mind you I'm sure you will find a few "turkeys" around the circuit Grin Grin
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:32:27 pm »

Are you being a little adventurous with your cooking/food poisoning? might be too much for the single camping gaz ring???!!! most of us can singe/burn a few burgers/beans etc time its thawed out it will be past time to go home he he !!!

been there done that doing it again !
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:45 pm »

Just buy a frozen one here, put into coolbox plugged into car and it'll take days to defrost.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:32:38 am »

Are you being a little adventurous with your cooking/food poisoning?

Not if I can get one of these!!  Grin

They use one at Turn 10 and the results are fantastic!!
wadespeed1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 04:28:40 am »

Thaw and inject the turkey prior to departure then let the spices do thier thing while enroute to the track. The juiced bird should last several days on ice. I would think the longer the better. As for the pot and burner, any vessel capable of holding temperatures around 350 deg. F will do. It doesn't need to be elaborate. Just make sure the bird is completely thawed before cooking. During the early days of the fried turkey revolution, people placed frozen turkeys into hot oil with catasprophic results. It was so bad that one  national insurance company has an add campaign every Thanksgiving reminding people of the hazards of frying frozen turkeys.  Can you say spontaneous combustion? Very funny if you ask me.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:41:23 am »

Deep fried chickens are good, too.  Do you guys get those crap biscuits in a cardboard tube over there?  Also good for deep-frying.

For a perfectly disgusting experience, try a deep-fried Twinkie, pickle or Snickers bar.  Grin  (I wish I were joking).

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:44:43 am »

Deep fried Mars Bars (in batter) have been quite popular in shop fish and chip shops over here!!  Undecided
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 09:58:46 am »

Yer not gonna deep-fry my twinkie dude no matter how much beer I drink!!! Grin

been there done that doing it again !
wadespeed1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 01:54:03 pm »

Alcohol, sleep deprivation, hot oil, and a language barrier. This could be interesting.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 02:04:57 pm »

Thanks Termie. I know they do portions and fillets, just can't recall ever seeing whole birds. That said, I've never looked either.
Still haven't been to the supermarket - expect to go tommorow.  If you're serious and get stuck, I could order one from my butcher in the village.  Also, Mamers market on Monday morning sells live ones.... (really!) Undecided

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:37:16 pm »

My brother has been known to BBQ his turkey on Christmas Day.  I hasted to add he lives in Dubai so Christmeas weather is more conducive to BBQing!

The first year he tried it the Veg etc were cooked at lunchtime and the Turkey ready for dinnertime!  However since then he has perfected the system.  You need a kettle BBQ and a fair amount of charcoal!
wadespeed1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 05:54:44 pm »

There are advantages to the live turkey. Fresh tastes better than frozen and you don't need ice/cooler to prevent spoilage. A simple collar with leash attached and you're ready to go. As long as you don't become emotionally attached or make her the CA mascot, you should be good to go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: