Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 11:20:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dakar Rally 2013  (Read 17618 times)
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:06 am »

The Dakar starts on Saturday from Lima in Peru before winding it way into Argentina and finishing in Santiago Chile

http://www.dakar.com

Pre event coverage has already started on Eurosport with the race to recovery documentary charting the build up to the event with the injured British and US forces team:

http://www.race2recovery.com/

Very inspirational documentary.

Eurosport will be having its daily round up show, hope the snooker does not over run as in previous years Roll Eyes
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:24 pm »

Also look at these guys - http://www.missionmotorsport.org/who-are-we/

Its headed up by a chat from another forum I use and he is a fantastic chap

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »

And so the 2013 motorsport season is underway.... Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »

And so the 2013 motorsport season is underway.... Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark

Yeeee !!!

Steve East Anglian cobras

Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:58 pm »

The Dakar came up in a pub quiz a few weeks back and I knew I was right when I said it was now held in South America.  Didn't get the point - which I argued vociferously - but won the quiz anyway.  Smiley

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:42 pm »

Doris, you were robbed unless they bowled you a googly with a year
Top girl for winning the quiz

Andy
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »

- which I argued vociferously -
Dx

Really??..... Wink

Well done me dear for getting the right answer, even if the philistines wouldn't give you the point.  I would have had some sympathy for them if they had specified the "Classic Dakar" (as an event of that name is still held over the original routes through Africa), but, as you know, the main event has been held in South America since 2009; it moved there after the organisers had to cancel the 2008 rally because of the security situation in Mauritania (killing of 4 french tourists).

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:11:06 pm »

Couldn't the philistines look it up on the internet.  Its a trick question

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:48 am »

Day 4 of the Dakar seems to be easy Wink

The drivers and riders will face 720 kilometres in the next few hours in what will be the longest stage since the start of the 2013 Dakar. The difficulty goes up a notch. This stage is a beefed-up version of the one that was run in the opposite direction in 2012, wreaking pure havoc. The route will be slightly different for the cars and the motorcycles, which will have to visit the three refuelling points in their road books. One of them comes 173 km into the special. They'll also tackle a 2 km slide downhill in the first third of the special. All in all, another momentous stage in this rally. The big favourites Despres, Peterhansel, De Rooy and Patronelli (most of them winners in 2012) took the lead on Monday, but their margins are still small and there's no doubt that Tuesday will be a very eventful day.

Map on this link:

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/stage-4/day-s-route.html

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:34:34 am »

Pah - they want to try getting down the curry mile on a Friday night!

F
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:06 am »

Nice write up on the Dakar site about on of the British organising team:

"Every day, the hundreds of vehicles in the Dakar caravan gather in a technical bivouac where the big teams and the amateurs live and work together. This coexistence is being micromanaged for the first time in the 35-year history of the rally. Predetermined sites and free areas provide a place for everyone to work according to their needs. Geoffrey Dixon is the mind behind this revolution.

This good-natured, smiling Welshman from Solva likes to hang out in Cardiff and the Millennium Stadium. Most importantly, the freshly appointed chief of site limits at the assistance bivouac is an old hand when it comes to this type of challenges: "I've been doing this all my life", says the man known as Jeff as he stands in the centre of the eight hectares reserved for the Nazca bivouac.

"I was in charge of the Moto GP paddocks for 20 years and the organisers contacted me last year to discuss and implement a system." Jeff looks around as he clutches his table in the scorching sound. The ground has been flattened and compacted. He strides along the "streets" which were traced even before he arrived. He checks the measurements of the sites before telling his small team (four people) where to set up the markers and the team tapes to mark the limits more clearly. "We started from the premise that different people have different needs and that the distribution of assistance teams couldn't continue to be a free-for-all. And sometimes, a fight-for-all... The backbone's made up of a broad central street and five perpendicular corridors. I've got to find a place for 30 teams which set out their needs before their rally. We also have to adapt constantly, because some things you don't know until the last minute, such as the compactness of the terrain. This can mean a world of difference for the semis, like in Pisco, where some of them got stuck in the sand."

Rally raids are something completely different for Jeff, and the huge Dakar even more so. "It's another world", he says with his deadpan, oh-so-British humour, as he adds: "Everything was very clinical in Moto GP..." But the likes the challenge. In the 2013 edition, he has to work with around fifty "significant" structures, as he likes to say. Almost 800 vehicles in all. It's like an initiation ritual for the Welshman, who's also in charge of solo competitors. "Finding a place for a motorcycle and a van is as easy as 1-2-3", he explains. The aim is to provide very small structures with a global fixed site where they can set up shop." The rally's logistics manager, Marc Philly, thinks the need for Jeff's work was glaringly obvious in view of the race's importance. "But also with safety in mind, because we have to make sure the bivouac can be swiftly evacuated if the need arises."
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:07:16 am »

Pah - they want to try getting down the curry mile on a Friday night!

F

So where's good to eat these days on the curry mile Fran? Any family friendly restaurants ?
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:31 am »

Any family friendly restaurants ?

Not really my speciality subject!  But I would say most are family friendly so long as you arent going too late in the evening.

I seem to have a knack of finding a favourite and then it gets shut down shortly thereafter!

F

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »

Any family friendly restaurants ?

Not really my speciality subject!  But I would say most are family friendly so long as you arent going too late in the evening.

I seem to have a knack of finding a favourite and then it gets shut down shortly thereafter!

F

.... by the Environmental Health Officer ?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »

Back on topic, looks like Robby Gordon is out of the race having dumped the car on its roof.

in happier times at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAS3qP-nZ0g

head to 2 mins to see his famous start to the Dakar
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: