Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 07:51:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2007  (Read 28445 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 05:30:03 pm »

Well actually, monkey I completely agree with you and suggested this to Hindy after last year's race.  His response was to tell me that he'd had equal numbers of people suggeting that numbers were not sufficient!  What was it honest Abe said...?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »

I think part of the problem with RLM is that the Brits listening to it at the circuit don't realise how it is funded, and indeed those of us posting here probably have no idea of the cost of running it.

But perhaps Club Arnage either on its own, hmmm I was going to say or with Pistonheads (but guess who owns them!), could consider looking to sponsor the hourly or bi-hourly update?  At least one could ask Hindy for the cost and then see who was willing to give some money towards it?  Might be outside our budget but could be worth doing.  Might even be worth asking the big ticket agencies for a donation!

After all without RLM the Le Mans experience would be greatly inferior.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 06:05:26 pm »

Well actually, monkey I completely agree with you and suggested this to Hindy after last year's race.  His response was to tell me that he'd had equal numbers of people suggeting that numbers were not sufficient!  What was it honest Abe said...?

Termi - you have me at a disadvantage as I have no contact with the great man himself. However I can't help thinking that if we were to run a pole here and now among those attending the race we would find that the ‘ car number, position, distance,’ approach, on a regular (hourly) basis would win hands down. I base this theory on the evidence of the opinions clearly expressed in this thread alone. It would still leave the presenters with about 55 minutes in the hour to do ‘proper’ radio to those not fortunate enough to be attending.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 06:07:35 pm »

I think part of the problem with RLM is that the Brits listening to it at the circuit don't realise how it is funded, and indeed those of us posting here probably have no idea of the cost of running it.

But perhaps Club Arnage either on its own, hmmm I was going to say or with Pistonheads (but guess who owns them!), could consider looking to sponsor the hourly or bi-hourly update?  At least one could ask Hindy for the cost and then see who was willing to give some money towards it?  Might be outside our budget but could be worth doing.  Might even be worth asking the big ticket agencies for a donation!

After all without RLM the Le Mans experience would be greatly inferior.

Sorry Chris I fail to see what relevance this has to RLM providing concise updates to the trackside listener. Surely on the evidence of this thread it is only likely to increase the number of listeners thus making it more commercially viable?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:12:52 pm by monkey » Logged
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 06:14:06 pm »

I find it very hard to believe that he has received such comments... who would have made them?

I can just imagine the scenario now...

"Hi Hindy, found the bulletins hard to follow, but what ever you do don't revert to just giving us the race order"

OR

"Hi Hindy, the bulletins were good, make sure you don't change them so that all you do is read out the race numbers"

People generally mention things they don't like and suggest ways to change them rather than mentioning things they do like.

Huh
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 06:21:12 pm »

How about - position - car number - team and make - distance for the first -then the same but in distance behind leader or class leader.

I agree that its fustrating that while doing the run down they seem to get side tracked and before you know it they have moved onto the next item.

The idea of pre recording it based on the hourly results and playing it at say quarter past would, imho work. It would also give the presenters a couple of mins break.

While it may seem like we a knocking the RLM crew, I don't think it would be possible to be futher from the truth. I like many others can recal gathering around the tannoy at a set time to hear a monotone rundown of the order ever hour, RLM changed all that and brought an exciting new and informative format to the track that we have enjoyed since.

So 'long live RLM', the race would not be the same without you, but maybe take on board some of the creative suggestions offered.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 06:27:50 pm »

While it may seem like we a knocking the RLM crew, I don't think it would be possible to be futher from the truth. I like many others can recal gathering around the tannoy at a set time to hear a monotone rundown of the order ever hour, RLM changed all that and brought an exciting new and informative format to the track that we have enjoyed since.

So 'long live RLM', the race would not be the same without you, but maybe take on board some of the creative suggestions offered.

With you all the way Nordic on your suggestion and the sentiment about RLM
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:59 pm »

With you all the way Nordic on your suggestion and the sentiment about RLM

Yes me too I agree........
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 06:49:03 pm »

Hindy is a member here, so it's as easy for any of you to pm him as it is for me!  The reason I got the e-mail was that I suggested he look in on this thread to see what our opinions were, and maybe he'd find the feedback useful.  Hence he replied to me and Steve kindly added the quote.  Rather than getting the poor guy to type it all out again, I thought that was the quickest way to pass on his comments.  My point being, monkey, why not e-mail or pm him and put your comments direct (although hopefully he'll be monitoring this now.)  He's seemed pretty receptive to ideas to me.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 06:55:42 pm »

Hindy is a member here, so it's as easy for any of you to pm him as it is for me!  The reason I got the e-mail was that I suggested he look in on this thread to see what our opinions were, and maybe he'd find the feedback useful.  Hence he replied to me and Steve kindly added the quote.  Rather than getting the poor guy to type it all out again, I thought that was the quickest way to pass on his comments.  My point being, monkey, why not e-mail or pm him and put your comments direct (although hopefully he'll be monitoring this now.)  He's seemed pretty receptive to ideas to me.

I hear what you are saying Termie, but this is a forum and I think that open debate, rather than PMs to Hindy, will give a better feel to all of what the consensus is on the subject and, of course, give evverybody the chance to join the debate.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »

I hear what you are saying Termie, but this is a forum and I think that open debate, rather than PMs to Hindy, will give a better feel to all of what the consensus is on the subject and, of course, give evverybody the chance to join the debate.
[/quote]

I agree with you oldtimer. I don't want to hassle Hindy, I am sure he has more important things to do, I am just having a debate, and I hope a constructive one at that......
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 07:46:37 pm »

True.  I only suggested to him that he look at this thread, which he did.  I guess he replied to me as I'd e-mailed him?  Maybe you'd like to lobby him to post on here again?

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 09:10:45 pm »

Well having read Hindys reply and some of the comments on it.

I've not seen are any real numbers.   How many people listen "at the circuit".  How many listen "at home".   How much cash do they raise from each of those two groups.

It's RLMs bat and ball so they can please themselves which audience they want to target and how best to please that audience to maximise the revenue.

Now it's quite understandable that they can't do some things any more.  I'm sure that the odd interview with a Slightly Oiled Spectator who lets go with the F-word gives them the odd headache too.  For sure they need to stay inside the regs or risk losing the licence.

He says RLM was not proffesional in the begining.  Well I think that was one of the things that made it so good. 

Yes I think we do probably remember the early years with Rose tinted headphones.    Over the years there have been some priceless moments.   But none of them were scripted or at least that's how it seemed.   

I suppose for those of us that make the trip it's so much more than a Motor Race.   If I couldn't go for any reason
I would be glued to RLM.  But I'd want to know what was going on off track as well as on. 

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 12:08:14 am »

Sorry Chris I fail to see what relevance this has to RLM providing concise updates to the trackside listener. Surely on the evidence of this thread it is only likely to increase the number of listeners thus making it more commercially viable?

Well generally the one paying the piper calls the tune.  So if someone was sponsoring the hourly update thay could presumably say that we would like it  pre-recorded and to consist of car number driver and position or whatever.

That was the point I was trying to make ....badly!
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 07:16:28 am »

Wonderful debate. Reminds me I have to go and buy a better radio for this year Cool
Phil
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: