Club Arnage
April 24, 2024, 05:38:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campsite  (Read 33569 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2003, 01:33:30 pm »

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 02:09:37 pm »

Looking through binoculars I reckon:-
Cars - 1969 or 1970 Cadillac De Ville convertible and Ford Probe.
Drivers - Boss Hog and Daisy Duke  Wink
Campsite - Shady Trees Caravan Park, Bournemouth.  Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 02:28:22 pm »

That one is tricky. Ok, the campside looks very much like Houx. The left car is definately a Cadillac De Ville  and the one next to it looks like a Nissan SX something. No idea who the drivers are, though. However, and now we're getting serious, the guy with the flag deserves to get shot for dragging the Union Jack through the dust. At least that were the words of an english colleage when I showed him the picture in order to identify the cars. Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 02:38:45 pm »

the guy with the flag deserves to get shot for dragging the Union Jack through the dust. At least that were the words of an english colleage when I showed him the picture in order to identify the cars. Grin
Tell him it's a Union Flag  Wink

Russ
CA Veteran

I think this is yours...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 02:51:47 pm »

The Union Jack or Union Flag?

When the 'Union Jack' was first introduced, in 1606, it was known simply as 'the British flag' or 'the flag of Britain', and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name 'Union' appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the 'Union Jack', but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word 'jack' as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just 'the Jack', or 'Jack flag', or 'the King's Jack', but by 1674, while formally referred to as 'His Majesty's Jack', it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

Just what I heard anyway...

Fred Dibnah Memorial
Gland in the hand worth two in a Bush Tour 2007
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 02:58:44 pm »

Correct on the De Ville, the other one is a Ford  probe, maybe the best race a ford has had at LM for a good number of years
the campsite was the Houx before it got a tarty with pitchs and power.

I hope this clears up a popular misconception re the name of our dear flag.
It would also help if the ACO knew which way to hang it. Sad

The name "Union Jack" became official when it was approved in Parliament in 1908. It was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".
he

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 03:16:36 pm »

Re. the flag, I just turned this up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2981038.stm

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 03:18:58 pm »

Also, the Union Flag, or Union Jack, is the national flag of the United Kingdom and it is so called because it embodies the emblems of the three countries united under one Sovereign - the kingdoms of England and Wales, of Scotland and of Ireland (although since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom).

The term Union Jack possibly dates from Queen Anne's time (reigned 1702-14), but its origin is uncertain. It may come from the 'jack-et' of the English or Scottish soldiers; or from the name of James I who originated the first union in 1603, in either its Latin or French form Jacobus or Jacques; or, as 'jack' once meant small, the name may be derived from a royal proclamation issued by Charles II that the Union Flag should be flown only by ships of the Royal Navy as a jack, (a small flag at the bowsprit).

The flag consists of three heraldic crosses.

The cross of St George, patron saint of England since the 1270's, is a red cross on a white ground. It was the national flag of England until James I succeeded to the throne in 1603, after which it was combined in 1606 with the crosses of St. Andrew and St. Patrick;

The cross saltire of St Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, is a diagonal white cross on a blue ground.

The cross saltire of St Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, is a diagonal red cross on a white ground. This was combined with the previous Union Flag of St George and St Andrew, after the Act of Union of Ireland with England (and Wales) and Scotland on 1 January 1801, to create the Union Flag that has been flown ever since.

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

The Union Flag was originally a royal flag (when the present design was made official in 1801, it was ordered to be flown on all the King's forts and castles, but not elsewhere); it is today flown above Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham when The Queen is not in residence. The Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) is flown at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Balmoral when The Queen is not in residence. On news of a Royal death, the Union Flag (or the Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) where appropriate) will be flown at half-mast. The Royal Standard is never flown at half mast, as the Sovereign never dies (the new Monarch immediately succeeds his or her predecessor).

The flying of the Union Flag on public buildings is decided by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport at The Queen's command. The Union Flag is flown on government buildings on days marking the birthdays of members of the Royal family, Commonwealth Day, Coronation Day, The Queen's official birthday, Remembrance Day and on the days of the State Opening and prorogation of Parliament; it is also flown on St David's Day (Wales), St George's Day (England), St Andrew's Day (Scotland), and St Patrick's Day (Northern Ireland).

Although the Union Flag originated as a royal flag, it is now also flown by many people and organisations elsewhere in the United Kingdom by long established custom. Its use as an emblem has extended beyond the form of a flag and the Union Jack is frequently depicted on other objects.

The Union Flag is flown correctly when the cross of St Andrew is above that of St Patrick at the hoist (as the earlier of the two to be placed on the flag, the cross of St Andrew is entitled to the higher position) and below it at the fly; in other words, at the end next to the pole the broad white stripe goes on top.

......apparently

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 04:29:21 pm »

Re. the flag, I just turned this up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2981038.stm

Bas***ds should leave these things alone

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 04:33:17 pm »

Russ / Steve

I'm truly impressed by the history.  All I can confirm from my navy days is that the union flag was the union flag, but it was flown from the jackstaff (in the bows) [pointed end] only when berthed alongside, at anchor, or accompanying the royal yacht.  Other special occasions bein promulgates as and when.  It was always generally known as The Jack.

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 04:35:00 pm »

I wish I knew a lot about flags. I feel so inadequate.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 04:38:29 pm »

The truth is out there  Shocked

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 04:51:48 pm »

I wouldn't worry Matt, it's all rather sad knowing this stuff Roll Eyes

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 05:06:33 pm »

Gib, I see you have upgraded your member  Cheesy

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 05:08:04 pm »

Gib, I see you have upgraded your member  Cheesy

Ahhhh    YES......a full 5 inches now Shocked

you can have one that sive as well, soon Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 05:12:42 pm by gibberish » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: