Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 01:15:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Porsche to celebrate 40th anniversary of first win at the Classic  (Read 6010 times)
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »

Just had a press release through:

During the fifth edition of Le Mans Classic next 9, 10 and 11 July, Porsche will celebrate the 40th anniversary of their first victory in the general classification of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. On this occasion, Porsche will gather drivers and legendary cars to revive the ardour of this first victory.

Porsche entered the legend on June 14th, 1970 at 3 pm. The day before, 24 machines of the German brand took the start of the famous endurance race. Among them, the Porsche 917 KH, number 23, driven by Hans Herrmann and Richard Attwood. After a race marked by difficult weather conditions, the team was the first to cross the finishing line. A first victory which will be followed by 15 others.

Partner of Grid 6 since 2002, Porsche has chosen to celebrate this anniversary during Le Mans Classic. For the occasion, the winners of the time will be present to take the Porsche 917 KH around the track which crowned it during the manufacturer parade on Saturday before the first race.

Lent from the Porsche museum in Stuttgart, the 917 KH will not be alone. Indeed, a few victorious 24 Hours Porsches will come to the party. Already announced: the Porsche 936 Martini, which won the 1977 edition and the Porsche GT1, last champion of the brand in 1998.

Porsche amateurs will be able to admire the cars which participated in the history of the brand both on the track and in the clubs. 62 of them will take the start of the race. The oldest will be the 1952 Porsche 356 driven by Andrew Prill / Richard Clark in Grid 2 and the youngest will be Paul Singer’s 1979 Porsche 935 in Grid 6. Off the track, the Porsche clubs have replied massively to be present at this celebration. No less than 950 cars of the brand will be reunited at the Bugatti layout.

2010 is also the 40th anniversary of the film « Le Mans » starring famous actor-driver Steve McQueen. Saturday morning a tribute will be made with a parade dedicated to the film with the presence of the Porsche 908/2 Spyder, the car with which the actor excelled with a 2nd place at Sebring in 1970.

Saturday afternoon, the public will be able to meet historical drivers who contributed to the brand’s prize list during an autograph session in the Porsche lounge. Among them: Gérard Larousse, René Metge, Hans Hermann, Vic Elford and Laurent Aiello.

It just keeps getting better and better Cheesy
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:18:24 pm »

Aw, yum. Tongue

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:35 pm »

Cool Smiley

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:57:03 am »

McQueens 908 to be there Shocked

wow!

Elford too.

Brilliant. Must remember to get my ass out of bed on Saturday morning for that.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:47:56 am »

Please, please, please can I ask soneone who is attending the Classic to try and get some stunning pictures of this car?

2010 is also the 40th anniversary of the film « Le Mans » starring famous actor-driver Steve McQueen. Saturday morning a tribute will be made with a parade dedicated to the film with the presence of the Porsche 908/2 Spyder, the car with which the actor excelled with a 2nd place at Sebring in 1970.

Some full vehicle shots, abstract, weird, detail, wonderful, colour, b&w........anyhting really!

Would you consider payment in beer or your preferred tipple?

Am prepared to beg if required.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Nick M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:18:20 pm »

Please, please, please can I ask soneone who is attending the Classic to try and get some stunning pictures of this car?

Some full vehicle shots, abstract, weird, detail, wonderful, colour, b&w........anyhting really!

This car, correct ?:

If so, will keep my peepers open for it on track and in the paddock, etc.
Nick M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »

Saturday afternoon, the public will be able to meet historical drivers who contributed to the brand’s prize list during an autograph session in the Porsche lounge. Among them: Gérard Larousse, René Metge, Hans Hermann, Vic Elford and Laurent Aiello.[/i]

Can I please ask a daft question - where is the 'Porsche Lounge' ??

Would like to get along to this session, but currently have no clue where it is !  Huh
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »

This car, correct ?:

If so, will keep my peepers open for it on track and in the paddock, etc.

Correct! Much appreciated.

Anyone know who owns it now? And where it currently resides?

I beleive it was for sale / auction back in 2008 sometime.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 03:36:07 pm »

I think the real 908 is owned by Mr Deutsch, there was however car claiming to be the McQueen car up for auction last year in the USA.

It was withdrawn following questions raised by Mr Deutsch. The Deutsch car is quite active in historic racing.

There is a website devoted to the car.

http://www.alegendisback.com/index_eng.html

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »

Looking forward to seeing the 908 and the GT1.
Note to self, easy on the juice Friday night.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »

Saturday afternoon, the public will be able to meet historical drivers who contributed to the brand’s prize list during an autograph session in the Porsche lounge. Among them: Gérard Larousse, René Metge, Hans Hermann, Vic Elford and Laurent Aiello.[/i]

Can I please ask a daft question - where is the 'Porsche Lounge' ??

Would like to get along to this session, but currently have no clue where it is !  Huh

It's a private area with access restricted to Porsche Club members who pay for the privilege.
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »

I think the real 908 is owned by Mr Deutsch, there was however car claiming to be the McQueen car up for auction last year in the USA.

It was withdrawn following questions raised by Mr Deutsch. The Deutsch car is quite active in historic racing.

There is a website devoted to the car.

http://www.alegendisback.com/index_eng.html

Oh, thanks for the info.

And the link........I'll go take a look.

Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: