Club Arnage
April 30, 2024, 10:14:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats this?  (Read 9503 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2003, 11:50:58 am »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:14:36 pm »

EMKA Aston Martin
Steve O'Rourke, Tiff Needell, Nick Faure
17th overall
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 12:19:52 pm »

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 12:21:48 pm »

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 12:21:58 pm »

I nearly had it.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 12:53:31 am »

What a great event the '83 race was.
the weather was tits and there were some killer looking entries at that race - M482 Rondeau spaceships, the Emka and a BMW Sauber, if my memory serves me.
For the purists, what was slightly odd about the Joest Marlboro 956, as it sat in park ferme after the race?
As an aside, about 10 years ago, I had to attend a meeting in Guildford and got there a bit early, so I thought I'd go and take a look at what was left of Brooklands.
I got out of the car to survey the Byfleet banking - and behind an old nissen hut, in the weeds, I noticed a wooden buck that had been used to create the bodywork for a sportscar. On slightly closer observation, it became blindingly obvious that it was the Aston Martin Emka that is the subject of this thread. I wonder if it's still there?  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 10:01:11 am »

83 was one of the best, the 956 was still new, there was still diverse designs and classic weather.

I think the Joest Malboro 956 had the 'short tail' fitted at the end of the race.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 04:33:21 pm »

Spot on - after an on-track skirmish, which resulted in the Marlboro cars 'lang-heck' tail being spanked, the only replacement cover/tail Joest had was a high downforce one. Looked a bit strange, for the last blurry hour or two.
The factory had a few problems with air pressure build-up in their 956's that literally blew the doors off, as I recall.
Not knowing much about aerodynamics - or much else for that matter, I speculated that they must have removed the doors to make the drive a little more comfortable and airy - what a c*nt I was.
Up-side was you could actually see right into the drivers 'office', from where we were propped against the wall (no debris fence back then, of course) at the turn in to the esses.
Great race - many very happy memories of that one.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 09:05:08 pm »

Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 09:17:01 pm »

Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 09:17:43 pm »

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 11:19:03 pm »

Great pics Rickmeister - the rear roofline and boat-tail of the M482 looked fantastic. Shame about the front rad intake (bit of an afterthought) and lack of performance.
A true sportsman and enthusiast, was Jean - he had a bit of a problem with a train, I recall.
OK - what does EMKA mean?

Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 11:29:30 pm »

Great pics Rickmeister - the rear roofline and boat-tail of the M482 looked fantastic. Shame about the front rad intake (bit of an afterthought) and lack of performance.
A true sportsman and enthusiast, was Jean - he had a bit of a problem with a train, I recall.
OK - what does EMKA mean?

Cheers Matt!

Now as for EMKA, it is the production company of Steve O'Rourke, manager of Pink Floyd and the origin of the name 'EMKA' comes from the first two letters of Steve O'Rourkes daughters' names, Emma and Katherine.

There, think I've just proved that my anorak is deserved and time outside of the house away from the PC is badly needed!!

Grin
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 11:35:43 pm »

Jeeezus, there's no flies on this dude!
Rick, you should challenge Fax to a no-holds barred fight for the title of "Intergalactic Overlord of Motorsports Minutiea"
Matt

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2003, 10:02:01 am »

Was the designer of the EMKA Len Bailey, you can see the resemblance to the early grp6 Ford C100

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: