Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 07:15:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Ferries  (Read 5981 times)
SL
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »

It was announced yesterday that LD Lines will no longer be operating a cross channel service from Dover  from 5 September. Apparently it was not cost effective.

I am not sure how this affects the service Newhaven to Dieppe also operated by LD Lines. Hopefully this will continue.

It seems that due to the recent slump in "booze cruisers" the ferry operators are finding the going tough at the moment.

Si

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:15 pm »

The Dover to Boulogne route always seem to be a tricky sell. I dont think it will affect Newhaven route in the short term.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »

I saw that too.  Shame, but Speedferries couldn't make it pay either.  Seacats use 3 times the amount of fuel, and as Boulogne is further than Calais, it was always going to be tough

Didn't Boulogne port build them a new terminal too?

I expect someone will have another go, but the booze cruises are a thing of the past until the Euro sinks

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:52 pm »

I thought LD helped sink Speedferries, so they could get Boulogne?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:50 pm »

Used it a couple of times, but the "vomit comet" was not to everyone's taste, and the nett saving in time was pretty neutral for Le Mans goers, and the sailing times were relatively infrequent, compared to the normal cattle boats in/out of Calais.  Plus, for any inclined towards retail therapy, the distance from the glittering mall of Cite Europe is greater....

Shame indeed, though as it just takes away another element to compete with P&O/Sea France and the tunnel for that area, for those of us for whom Dover is the most convenient port of embarkation.

MG Mark 

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:36 am »

LD Lines certainly did not help themselves, the old speedferries were always cheaper than the competition but had reliability problems, we always suffered delays/cancellations and LD Lines were not much better. For the lat two years we have used the tunnel, the prices seem to have come down and the service so much quicker. If there are anymore reductions in cross channel services it could have serious effects on Le mans travel, both in prices and capacity, The week before le mans is usually quite well booked up and with less operators and fewer boats for those that remain I suggest booking early is a good idea.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:36 am »

In '09 we used LD Lines from Dover to Dieppe. It left about 06.30, took four hours anyway and was a right royal PITA. Fortunately, due to traffic, we missed the return leg and nipped onto the Le Havre-Pompey with LD for the cost of £70. Unfortunately in my addled state I neglected to include myself on the passenger manifest and had to be smuggled aboard hidden under duvets in the back of the car for half an hour in the searing heat. I suppose I was officially a stowaway!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:19 pm »

which reminds me - we need to start talking about booking ferries and stuff.......

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 02:10:59 pm »

I thought LD helped sink Speedferries, so they could get Boulogne?

Nope, not true,  Speedferries managed it all on their own,  not making any money and not paying Boulogne their port dues and ending up getting their ship impounded!

The reality is that Speedferries tried to massively undercut the other operators on the short sea crossing, and found out why the other operators were charging the prices they were!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »

Their pricing almost worked for a time, but then the price of fuel went up, then the Euro went up and then people stopped spending - the boozecruise and short break were over.  And there's more money in freight

Speedone is now running between the Channel Islands and St Malo, under the name Condor Rapide, but it still won't take freight, or caravans Cry
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:19:51 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:51 pm »

Trouble is, "almost working" isn't quite good enough.

It's like having enough fuel for 9.5 laps.....  In an Audi....

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:46:38 pm »

The LD serice via Dieppe is also run for Trnasmanche, which is run bythe local french government ( at the moment ) so it will need to stay. I believe LD signed a 5 year deal to run the  subsidised service for the french.

P&O are just about to bring on a new ferry - http://www.onenewera.co.uk/ is the micro site, but basicaly, its huge - The Spirit of Britain.  I wouldnt worry about space if you book early. Freight company's usually only get 2 weeks before to book.

Take life by the horns and live it.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 08:50:42 am »

The LD serice via Dieppe is also run for Trnasmanche, which is run bythe local french government ( at the moment ) so it will need to stay. I believe LD signed a 5 year deal to run the  subsidised service for the french.

P&O are just about to bring on a new ferry - http://www.onenewera.co.uk/ is the micro site, but basicaly, its huge - The Spirit of Britain.  I wouldnt worry about space if you book early. Freight company's usually only get 2 weeks before to book.

Transmanche was taken over by LD Lines as it's against some EU law for a local government to run a business thats in competition with real ones!

Actually freight companies only book a few days or even hours, as their demand is never known much ahead of that!

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:43 pm »

Thanks for putting me straight geoff. When i worked for P&O it was a 2 week window unless you had a block booking like the major freight forwarders and shipping agents have . I read the Ld stuff on Wikipedia the other day, so was spreading the news. I know Wiki can be wrong at times.

Take life by the horns and live it.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:08:13 am »

I know Wiki can be wrong at times.

Well, wiki is just a load of peoples personal take on things.  I'm sure if you put an article on the Dodo in there saying that there was a Zoo in Brazil that had three everyone would be over there like a shot!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: