Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 10:47:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spare wheels  (Read 10419 times)
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:20:56 pm »

found some pics of cars with spare wheels.does anyone know when this stopped?started.was it a regulation?is a can of expandite foam legal in current rules? is the truth outhere?

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 06:37:28 am »

Hi Lofty,
           In the begining there were ride along mechanics spare wheels and even extra tires.
Until quite recently ( for an old guy) the rules required a second seat.
Phil
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:16:01 am »

Spare wheels where carried by the cars as recent as 71 so i guess it had to be in the regs. Plenty of pictures show 917's with them strapped under the rear wing.

Both the 917 and 512 were designed to old rules that had all sorts of requirments based around road car use.

seems to have stopped around then so guess it was part of the rules shake up that happened then.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:26 am »

I think the 'spare' requirement came and went a few times. I think the GT40 Mk1 could carry a spare in a rack next to the exhaust, but you probably wouldn't want to use it after being casseroled for 24 hours. There has also been a notional 'luggage carrying' requirement now and again, that led to some fairly bizarre designs and locations.

Spare wheels where carried by the cars as recent as 71 so i guess it had to be in the regs. Plenty of pictures show 917's with them strapped under the rear wing.

Both the 917 and 512 were designed to old rules that had all sorts of requirments based around road car use.

seems to have stopped around then so guess it was part of the rules shake up that happened then.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:08 pm »

The GT40s spare wheel was carried in the front, under the removable panel, behind the radiator outlet.  Thats why the outlet was usually two triangles, as the wheel was in the middle.  It was the luggage compartment that was next to the exhausts.  This was originally a large biscuit tin, about a foot square, which happened to be the right size.  

I thought that the 917 had a spacesaver spare between the exhausts.  At one race, they lost the spare and found that a front wheel wouldn't fit, and they couldn't even get it in the cockpit.

Apparently, the spare tyre/boot rule lasted till the 1969 rule change.  I would have given it another few years
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:49:02 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »

There is no definitive answer to this question. On the Lola GT that the GT40 was based upon, the dual nostril was indeed to make space for the spare wheel, but the space was hijacked for the dry-sump oil tank in the early Mk1. The 2 nostril design was replaced by 1 large slot on some cars. and several different configurations for the locations of tanks, vents and spare wheel were experimented with on the Mk1 over its 7 or so years in endurance racing.

The GT40s spare wheel was carried in the front, under the removable panel, behind the radiator outlet.  Thats why the outlet was usually two triangles, as the wheel was in the middle.  It was the luggage compartment that was next to the exhausts.  This was originally a large biscuit tin, about a foot square, which happened to be the right size. 

I thought that the 917 had a spacesaver spare between the exhausts.  At one race, they lost the spare and found that a front wheel wouldn't fit, and they couldn't even get it in the cockpit.

Apparently, the spare tyre/boot rule lasted till the 1969 rule change.  I would have given it another few years
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:16 pm »

i think i heard of a barrel backed healey with a bulbous rear end to take the spare.must of been a bit like a marcos or the ferrari bread van.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:35:57 am »

With the Ford, it wasn't long before they went onto wider rubber, so the spare wouldn't fit in the front.

I think they discarded the cross-over exhaust too, so they would have been some room in the back.  The only photos I can find show 2 luggage bins, one either side of the gearbox

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:23:39 am »

Ahh spare wheels, I had a renault 5 that had the spare wheel under the bonnet, on top the engine.

I wonder if any car still does that?

And yes i know Bristols had them in the front wing -

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 08:02:27 am »

Ahh spare wheels, I had a renault 5 that had the spare wheel under the bonnet, on top the engine.

My MR2 had the spare wheel (spacesaver) under the bonnet, but the engine was in the middle!  Roll Eyes
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »

My MR2 had the spare wheel (spacesaver) under the bonnet, but the engine was in the middle!  Roll Eyes

Oh yea, forgot about those.

That reminds me my first car had the spare wheel under the bonnet and the engine in the boot  Wink

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:54:08 pm »

The most original and inventive spare I've seen was a disk of 1 inch plywood with some old tread nailed to the outside and a bit of recycled brass plate glued to the centre with stud holes drilled in it. Probably not safe at walking pace, let alone 40mph.

Oh yea, forgot about those.

That reminds me my first car had the spare wheel under the bonnet and the engine in the boot  Wink
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »

i found some pics from 1968 lola and 1967 ferrari spares on show.would having a back to pit spare be of use these days?the amount of damaged caused by a shredding tyre always makes me wonder why dont have a spare anymore.i guess its too much weight and work for driver .

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: