Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 01:16:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: search engines  (Read 5237 times)
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »

I have just been playing around on Google to try and find our web site.......the only way a search worked was by typing in Club Arnage.When you type in Le Mans or Lemans and various other phrases with camping etc, you get no references to this site at all...well not on the first 6 pages!....is this just the way I am searching or do we not have Google set up to get in the top 10 hits?

On the camping search the only guide reference I found was "Beermountains" guide and we course we offer so much more info in the CA guide to anybody who wants to go to the race and not to those who just want build beer walls Grin

Andy
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:22 pm »

Depends on the seach terms.
Comes up 5th like this:

* lm search.JPG (120.05 KB, 809x538 - viewed 283 times.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:53:08 pm by Kpy » Logged
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:01:53 pm »

I'm not an expert on this, but I expect it's to do with the lack of content on the site, after all it's really only a (very good) forum, whereas Beermountain does have quite a lot of content pages. 

Slap a load of keyword based text on the home page and some sample pages from the Guide and I would expect this site to rise up the rankings.

It's not very scientific really....

Now waiting to get shot down in flames by a load of SEO's who make a living from getting sites ranked by the search engines...

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »

We have just launched a new web page. While we dont use SEO's our listing has leaped to the front page for organic listings.

Your Google ranking depends on a few criteria, one of the most important seem to be the amount of links to your page, and the quality of those links, ie Yellow pages counts for more than joe's fish and chip shop.

Because of the way SEO's abuse the system, Google does tinker with the scoring system from time to time and if you fall foul of them then your ranking can plummet.

The number of times words appear also can boost your listing. but its a bit more complex than just repeating the same word over an over again.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
tn*c
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:43 pm »

One of the best ways to increase your priority in the listings is to setup a Facebook corporate account. They are free, but since Facebook has more traffic than google itself, it will boost you rating.
6 Euros - JD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:49:12 pm »

I'm by no means an expert but in addition to the number of links to a site, 'Keywords' are very important. They are contained in things called Meta Tags in the code that produces the page. The surfer doesn't see these but the search engines and directories do and their relevance to the headings and content of the pages are important factors.

CA's homepage keywords are PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum

They don't even mention Le Mans! They look like they were put there by the authors of the forum software and haven't been customised for CA.

This isn't surprising as forums are usually embedded in a site that has ordinary webpages; index, about us, contact etc.

That's certainly why Beermountain will rank higher than CA. And, hey, as a regular contributor to BM (and the CA Guide) it's a bit insulting to hear that it's only about stacking stubbies. We've all got a common link in Le Mans and I know that there are many people who are, like me, members of both communities.

Moan over - if Le Mans is included in the keywords the rankings will improve.

'Arnage gravel rash ......... a badge of honour'
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:40:37 pm »

CA's homepage keywords are PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum

Actually they are not, the home page www.clubarnage.comdoes not have any keywords at all, which is another reason that the rankings are soooo low.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »

Geoff,

I agree.....I found CA back in the dim distant past by simply entering "Le Mans"....and bingo up came CA.I was just concerned that we need more hits to increase membership...afterall it's not just for the chosen few that generally currently post Sad

As I am a bit of a dinosaur perhaps there are some stats that can show the hit rate,just to see if the site has enough airplay.

And as the site is also officially accredited to the ACO then pehaps we should be telling the world!!!

Andy
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

And as the site is also officially accredited to the ACO

Is it?
How does that work?
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:02 pm »

Sorry wrong term used........should have been recognised and also, if i'm correct GF manages/translates the english part of the ACO website.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »

Confused here!

Looked under the bonnet of my vehicle and found the engine!

End of search  Grin

Think I need another beer, no need to use a search engine for that  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:12:42 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 07:20:38 am »

Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: