Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 08:27:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Prix: The Killer Years  (Read 9819 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z8v18

Just started on BBC 4 TV. Looks informatiive

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:09 pm »

The drivers were absolute legends in those days, as brave as could be.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:24 pm »

Bugger, missed it, does anyone know when it's being repeated?
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »

It's watchable on BBC iPlayer now.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »

Definitely worth a watch. Be aware there are a couple of grisly images that can take you aback a bit!

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »

Thanks Neil, I would have missed it, very emotive.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:00 am »

Not available in your area

Bummer Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:27:54 am »

The killer years was probably the best programme on F1 I have ever seen, seems odd that those guys were paid peanuts and risked everything whilst todays racers are paid millions but the risks are smaller, those drivers paid for the safety of todays drivers with thier lives
pedersenkorsager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

Paddy: use a VPN connection.  Wink

The easy way to spot a Dane?
look for the hanging heads in the pitlane :-(
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »

Saw a great documentary on belgian tv last monday, about the deadly accident Gilles Villeneuve had at Zolder, never saw the footage before! Those guys were heroes of their time!

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »

Living in the States I haven't seen this program yet, but it sounds interesting, if the title sounds more than a little sensationlist.  Speed TV ran a program years ago called the Quick & Dead, filmed mostly in the early seventies.  It was pretty cheesy, with its narration by Stacey Keach, and showed some pretty gory stuff (Tom Pryce's Kyalami shunt, Roger Williamson's Zandvoort accident,etc.) but it was worth watching because it had some fantastic, extensive interview footage with drivers like Francois Cevert, and Peter Revson.  Guys who died before the film was ever completed.  As you said, it was different era.  Horribly dangerous, but as Jackie Stewart once said, we were doing the best we could with the technology that was available at the time.  Compared to what they had known in the fifties and sixties, it was many times safer.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »

The program is worth watching (if you excuse some of the clips which are either out of sequence or from indy) it was not a half bad program,

Some of those interviewed where still feeling the pain for events that they could not control and others seemed to want to blame chapman for the death of a loved one.

It stopped at the Zandvoot crash of Williamson, but could have carried on as it was some years before real progress had been made and many more drivers died.

In hindsight it is amazing the positions that spectators where allowed into!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:14:59 am »

Without asking, I assume you refer to Nina Rindt, she's been very pointed with her blame for her husband's death, and she's always squarely layed it a Colin Chapman's feet.
The accident that had the biggest impact on safety was probably the '78 Monza shunt.  The shambolic rescue, and the chaos that followed, prompted Bernie to bring in Sid Watkins as the official FIA advisor, and form a safety commitee, rather than leave things up to the locals, who made a complete mess of things at Monza.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:49 am »

Correct Nina Rindt clearly felt that Chapman was to blame. Namely the distrust of the new 72 and Chapman not taking the older car when Rindt was more than happy with it,

Having already won the championship it does seem right to bring on the new car so it could be fully developed prior to the next season. However maybe it was a still to new to race and the need a bit more testing. But then the testing could also have been as fatal.

The 78 Monza crash is the first that I affected me, I was a Ronnie fan and seeing it all played out on telly was quite shocking. The advances in safety after that driven by Bernie and others where alot faster, technology also helped, fuel cells and deformable structures etc.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »

I've always had sympathy for Nina and her anger at what happened, but at the end of the day, whether the car broke, or it just got away from Jochen under braking without wings, if he had been wearing his crotch straps, the injuries that killed him wouldn't have happened.
Agreed, I was badly shocked by Monza '78 as well, Ronnie was my hero growing up and watching that played out was pretty big jolt to someone at sixteen, who had already been following the sport for several years and already seen a fair amount of tragedy.  But for all of the bashing we level at Bernie, he really became commited to making sure safety improved.  At that time, that standard of medical care and marshaling varied dramatically from country to country.  The handwriting was on the wall two weeks before Monza when Patrese and Pironi had that colossal accident at the start of the Dutch GP, Patrese's shattered Arrows ending up in a heap in the middle of the road.  The next several laps of TV footage could have been called The Three Stooges Try To Move A Wrecked Racng Car.  The sport had become by that stage, too polished & professional for races to be run the way they were.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: