Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 06:17:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Wing Project  (Read 64862 times)
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:13 pm »

Interview with the Delta Wing designer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUIk_7TkS4

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »

I don't have sound at work, so can't hear what they are saying, but what happened with it at Sebring?

Did it go round the corners ok, etc?

F

Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »

Seemed to.  I couldn't tell you it was lightning fast, but it definitely went around corners without too much hassle. 

Marino Franchitti described it as the most stable car he's driven over the bumps of Sebring (of which there are far more, than at say, Le-Mans). 

The opinion right now seems to be that the theory seems to work out as expected - but as with any new car, there are issues - they're working through those issues and hope to be well and truly ready for Le-Mans. 

In the days after Sebring they tested alongside Audi, and completed an entire stint (about an hour and a bit) without any issues.

Can they run for 24hrs? who knows.  Can they produce enough speed to be competitive?  Who knows.  One thing does seem certain though - the Deltawing is not about outright speed, but enough speed to leave them a number of pitstops up at the end of a race.  Remember, this car only produces 300 odd horsepower - it's not likely to be as fast as something like the Audi - they're racing on the basis of the Tortoise vs Hare. 

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »

The speed is meant to be between lmp1 and lmp2.
Yes it can be quick because its using huge rear tunnels which give excellent downforce for little drag. The lmp classes can't use these.
It runs to it's own rules. What is revolutionary about it?

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

What is revolutionary about it?

The amount of PR that's been put into it.
I'm surprised they haven't dragged Danika out of the USA to drive it.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:34 pm »

It was difficult to judge how fast it was because there were no other cars running with it and no times announced that I heard. Personally I did not like it, it looked like Trotters independent traders meets Batman on a bad day, it may have some comedy value as a one type series. The front tub is very slab sided and not pretty at all, sooner the better it gets killed off IMO.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2012, 12:38:20 am »

The speed is meant to be between lmp1 and lmp2.
Yes it can be quick because its using huge rear tunnels which give excellent downforce for little drag. The lmp classes can't use these.
It runs to it's own rules. What is revolutionary about it?

If they achieve track speed between LMP1 and LMP2, and reliability etc, they will be 10 pit stops up by the end of the race, and will therefore win outright at Le-Mans.

What's revolutionary about it?  Well....does it look like a normal race car to you? 

In addition, it hardly makes any noise.....obviously more than an Audi, but it's quite quiet really.....

I was left a bit "mehhh" about it at Sebring - yes, it's interesting, yes, it's a completely different concept to the kind of cars we currently see - but is it exciting?  Other than its odd look, not really to be honest.  It might just work though.

See you at a gig soon?
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »

How's it going to stop, those front tyres look awfully titchy for conventional amounts of front brake. Mind you, they're probably considerably cleverer than me, and will have already thought of that.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »

All the weight and downforce is at the back, so it doesn't need front brakes Shocked

Twitchy, yes.  It must have some bad habits that will put it in the kittylitter

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

I was left a bit "mehhh" about it at Sebring

Me too. 
Having seen it on track once I didn't bother to make the effort to see it a second time - unlike the Panoz Abruzzi at Petit in 2010, which I made sure I saw every time I could.  Whatever happened to that car?

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

Once again, publicity stunt, drumming up attention for a company, no real intention of actually racing, yadda, yadda...
Good lord, doesn't anyone else see through this scam?
Ugh!
For anyone who thinks this is legitimate, I've got a bridge I can sell you.
Fax
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:12:08 am by Fax MKII » Logged
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:28 am »

Once again, publicity stunt, drumming up attention for a company, no real intention of actually racing, yadda, yadda...
Good lord, doesn't anyone else see through this scam?
Ugh!
For anyone who thinks this is legitimate, I've got a bridge I can sell you.
Fax

For which company?  Nissan have only just announced their involvement so you can't feasibly be talking about them....this has been going on for months.  I don't really understand why anyone would want to build publicity for something that isn't going to race?  Let alone spend millions on developing bespoke parts and consumables (those tyres don't look like a standard item to me!)

Would this be the same bridge that was bought and shipped to the USA, only for the purchaser to realise it wasn't the bridge he thought it was at all?? The bridge that was expected, still being very definitely in place (I saw it last week - TOWER bridge is definitely still in London!).....You can keep that one - we were glad to get shot of it Smiley 

See you at a gig soon?
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:57 am »

Like it or not the Delta wing has given everyone something to talk about and brought additional publicity to Le Mans which it today's ecconomic enviroment can only be applauded, I think it looks great and am looking forward to seeing it in June and i suspect even those that don't like it will still be interested to see how it performs, motor racing can not stand still and efforts like this add value and even if it does not lead directly to a new class of cars I am sure parts of it will be useful and everyone laughed at the little lotus with the engine in the back in F! and look what happened.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:43 pm »

...everyone laughed at the little lotus with the engine in the back in F! and look what happened.

What happened?  Huh

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

sponsers have got a good deal.lots of interest.reminds me of eddie jordans car hanging on a crane hook.front/back page news.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: