Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 09:11:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Home Guard Thread  (Read 51263 times)
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:09 am »

I'll drink to all of that Si.
Roll on 2013. Anyone have the dates yet???

I tested negative for patience.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2012, 11:29:20 am »

I am guessing maybe 15/16 June?
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2012, 12:44:53 pm »

Right, better start checking the gear and making lists.

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »

Right, better start checking the gear and making lists.

Don't you have staff to do that for you?!

F
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »

You need to come to Sebring in March!  We would love to host a CA in the Americas party.  We are right on the track in turn 4...great vantage point of the course and close to the pits.  Come on over!

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »

Steve - he's right you know - Sebring is AWESOME!

Rex and I look odds on to repeat this years trip in March (even if Rex did nearly die of alcohol posioning!) but even if we don't, let us know if you go - we'll let you know some of the mistakes we made, which will save you making them.  Lesson 1:  don't drink anything that comes in a jam jar unless you want to use your health insurance to get home Smiley

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2012, 04:23:00 pm »

Brad - you've just given me some additional incentive to get another job instead of sitting on my arse adding posts to Club Arnage. Sebring and Le Mans in the same year. Lady Steve will never get over it. Talking of ladies:

Brad - what news on the baby front?

Fran - my staff always have Le Mans weekend off. Staff in the House of Lords however are mainly interns and (a) they're not reliable enough to make my lists (b) look where an intern got President Clinton!! Can't be too careful with your lists.

Gatordad - thanks for the invitation. I've been to your state a few times but never to Sebring. A few of my fellow Club Arnagers are seasoned Sebring veterans however and I feel a 2013 trip coming on!

Lads - Airline, accommodation, transport etc. Need advice!

Steve

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

I've been desperate to get to Sebring for years. I'm planning on waiting a few more years until the kids are older to make a family trip of it. They can go to Disney and I can go to Turn 10.

Still a question mark over its inclusion in the 2013 WEC calendar though.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »

It's easy.

Fly to Orlando on Wednesday.  Dump the kids at one of the Disney hotels (if you have to bring them).

Thursday, rent a car and head down US27 to Sebring in time for some beer, then the Thursday pit/garage trip, some beer, and then a big walkabout through the course.

Then beer.

Then we pork down some bar-be-que in time for night practice.  Our site is right next to one of the hardest braking zones of the track so we watch the light show from the rotors while we drink some beer.  Finish off the evening around the fire having a beer or two.  By now some of us have moved to Kentucky Bourbon.

Friday morning, lots of practice, support races, beer, cruising the paddocks and giving away our beads to only deserving young ladies...

Then some beer with lunch.  Big race in the afternoon.

Saturday morning?  What can I say.  Race starts at 10am...then it's every man for himself.  Race ends at 10pm, sip some bourbon and crash.

Out of the track the next morning for the 2 hour drive to Orlando for the kids.  Hop on the plane Monday and back in Merry Old England Tuesday.  How's that for a plan?  Let me know who's coming and we'll have a CA in the Americas party.

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »

That's pretty much the plan we used this year Gatordad, except we got away without the wives and kids (this year, not sure about future years though). We had an advance party to pick up an RV, get in the que for the bridge over to Green Park and the awesome Hospitality of the Turn 10 Crew.
We then headed back up to MCO for the Sunday night flight back.
Your absolutely right Sebring is a must do, a different experience to Le Mans, we had the greatest of times, open access to the Pits, Team Impala and the race view being so close and uninterrupted by catch fencing incredible.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2012, 09:42:48 am »

Sounds like a great plan Gatordad. Being a Yorkshireman I am slightly worried about beer standards (we have the greatest ales in the world up here-we have over 2000 years of brewing experience!).

Spoke at length with the wife last night and we have set 2014 as the date. Planning a two week vacation, probably a week around Orlando for the kids in a hotel and then a week in an RV. As a kid I was a huge Miami Vice fan and want a few days in South Beach. I'll be rolling up the sleeves on my Armani sport jacket and will leave the socks at home. Anyone know where I can hire a black Daytona Spider for a few days? Grin

Now where did I put those old Raybans?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:38:32 am by Lazy B'stard » Logged

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:45 am »

How chuffin' tempting is that invitation? I will have a chat with the delightful Lady Steve tonight (she's a total footie fan so come on England!) after plying her with a couple of pangalactic gargleblasters. My "kids" don't live at home anymore so they can organise their own holidays but Lady Steve will, no doubt, require some sort of payback. Hmmmm, thought and careful planning required methinks.

Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2012, 11:14:04 am »

well the Leman 2013 fund has started as I got a nice cheque for some old car bits today so thats gone straight to next years trip  Grin

There is also talk of 2 friends who have never been coming so should be a good trip

Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »

Sounds like a great plan Gatordad. Being a Yorkshireman I am slightly worried about beer standards (we have the greatest ales in the world up here-we have over 2000 years of brewing experience!).

Spoke at length with the wife last night and we have set 2014 as the date. Planning a two week vacation, probably a week around Orlando for the kids in a hotel and then a week in an RV. As a kid I was a huge Miami Vice fan and want a few days in South Beach. I'll be rolling up the sleeves on my Armani sport jacket and will leave the socks at home. Anyone know where I can hire a black Daytona Spider for a few days? Grin

Now where did I put those old Raybans?

You won't notice the beer standards.  It was 90+ degrees every day we were out there this year - Lite beer might sound like the wimps choice - but trust me - you won't want all that much more, at least until the sun goes down.  So....

Beer:   We used Total Wine and More - Just off I-drive.  They supplied us with Magners, but we coulf have had almost anything.  They also supplied Guiness Draught in bottles, and many many cans of beer - I think one of which was called YingLing (you'll have to check that) - this was quite a dark brew - quite tasty.

If you want Spirits....well....do you know what - i'm not going to tell you about that - go to Total Wine and more, and see for yourself.  Oh and budget a couple of hours to do so....it's fair to say there's some decisions to be made in there Smiley

Accomodation:  I'd recommend an RV - ours cost us about £120 per person, and was worth every penny IMO.  Either speak to Gatordad and join his crew, or go with the Turn 10 guys - either way I can't imagine hospitality gets any better.

Recommend staying at La Quinta on the first night, and meeting up with Matt Harper and some of the other locals from Orlando - as well as the other arriving Brits of course.  This place happens to be RIGHT NEXT to the Fish on Fire and I think it cost us about $50 for the night - and it's actually very nice.  You only need to the Fish on Fire of an evening to see why the Brits who head over, go there every year.  Great food, friendly service, and great prices (and quite hot barmaids too).  La Quinta will also pick you up from the airport in their free shuttle service....VERY handy!

Flights:  From the UK, Virgin and BA are your only real options.  My flight this year was £415.  We flew out on Monday, and flew back at about 7pm Sunday - pretty much the ideal trip, however I could be tempted to go a couple of days early next year, just to take in some other activities (want to go shooting stuff!)

Transport:  There's quite a few people who go to Sebring on this forum.  You're likely to at least find SOMEONE who is going down - pitch in with their rental car, and all the problems disappear.  Otherwise, Rentals aren't that expensive....Unless you really WANT that big yellow Corvette!

All in all, I can't recommend Sebring enough.....it was an absolutely BRILLIANT trip.  It has a special feeling about it...it's a different feeling to Le-Mans, but in many ways, very similar.  I never went to Le-Mans in the 80's, but from what I hear, and the photos I see - Sebring is a bit like that....less safety fencing, absolutely the best views ever, and a truly race mad crowd.  

For other advice, I'd recommend signing up to www.sebringfans.com .  If you want any other info - just holler!  I still love talking about my trip 3 months later.  

Oh and Steve....No baby yet.  Therefore, I now declare myself SAFE for 2013 Le-Mans Smiley

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Oh and Steve....No baby yet.  Therefore, I now declare myself SAFE for 2013 Le-Mans Smiley

good news then!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: