Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 08:03:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Home Guard Thread  (Read 51259 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

Enjoyed the race. Plenty to mull over. Deltawing went well, Toyota impressed. Every car has a story in this race.

Always hate the end. It's a long journey that starts again tommorrow I know, but I always feel a certain sadness that it's all over again for another year.

Man I love this race. I'm tired and feeling it.

Huge thanks to everyone, from the guys on here, to the teams, marshals, organisers etc over in Le Sarthe. Big thanks to Radio Le Mans. Always a highlight spending the early hours with Chuck and Jim. Just brilliant.

Off for a cup of Cocoa to sup at the finish, then off to bed.

Night all

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Am I listening to the wrong Radio Le Mans?  Its just a rather dry discussion on fuel flow... .they are usually quite tired and emotional and rather funny by this point in the race!

Huh

I think they used up all the emotion quota at the start Fran. Hindy broke down during the Roll of Honour just before the start this year. Very touching.

Dick Dasterdly was right
John G

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

Agree with all of that, thank-you for your company also

Hindy brought a lump to my throat also

You are sure to sleep well   Smiley
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

Always a heartbreaker at Le Mans- IMSA limping around with a puncture!

How cruel.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »

Hindy broke down during the Roll of Honour just before the start this year. Very touching.

Yeah - I heard that bit.

I just relised I hadnt turned the sound off on one of the other windows I had open!!!

Smiley
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »

Survived 'till 3 am this morning and joined again at 7 am. 

Kudo's to Toyota for such an impressive debut.  The giant cock did impress me, but as said on radio LM : the accident with Toyota can't only be blamed on Nakajima.  My guess is he didn't see the Datsun anymore in his mirrors, so thought he passed him.   LMP2 was a great race to follow, shame Strakka got out of competition even before the race began.  The fight between Aston & Corvette at the start of the race, the problems Corvette had during the race and the rise of the #51 Ferrari made GTE Pro great to follow, as was the AM category filled with drama up until the end.   

Guess you could say the 80th was a rather good one  Grin

Countdown starts now !  Silverstone will definitely be too early, the Petit a close call if rehab is going better than expected, but Sebring is 100 % sure on the list.

Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »

very emotional vid -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJylUpzQ-iQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »

Was sad... there is an even longer version somewhere with his increasingly desperate attempts!

F
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »

V sad - ...why the UK registered scooter at the end?
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

Sunderland's contribution to the Deltawing project?

Smiley
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2012, 06:46:10 pm »

Well, as a long time Audi owner what a good result... shame about the Toyota's though, they were looking really good and putting up a bit of a fight.

Why does Dindo have to give up at 48? I am a little bit older and I am still allowed to go!

The crazy thing is I have probably watched more of this race (and learnt more) than the last four/five races I have been to put together.

Agree Fran about the commentary.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE - The Classic is next month... now that is something to look forward, well, as long as it is not as hot as the last one, that was tooooooo freakin hot. BUT we do not want a wet one either.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
old-uns

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »

certainly a few things to talk about, Toyota pretty impressive for a rushed first appearance with 2 cars let alone the one.

re Ant Davidsons incident, all the views i heard were the Ferrari should have seen him, backed out of it, wouldn't have cost him too much, yadda yadda, but if the onus is on the faster car to pass safely, if AD didn't see indicators or a move left then surely it wouldn't have cost him too much to roll out as well & leave a margin?
i'd have thought it's easier for the car coming from behind to judge the speed differential?

as for the Deltawing, i'll just say that the Toyota had passed him & should have known he wasn't about to come to a standstill?

i realise both cases are not black & white but all classes of cars are needed to make the race what it is.

and with that i'll say au revoir and pack the car ready for travelling to the Classic tomorrow morning passing all the lucky returnees on the M20 probably
John G

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »

As much as it could be called a racing incident, the telling point for me was the point of contact as the Ferrari turned in, which was toward the rear of the Toyota
I guess these kind of incidents are inevitable with the different classes and speed differentials etc, but agree this is part of what Le Mans is all about and of course, another example of the leaps in safety that have been made
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:18 am »

V sad - ...why the UK registered scooter at the end?

Highcroft Racing had European help from Ray Malock.
Hindy broke down during the Roll of Honour just before the start this year. Very touching.

Yeah - I heard that bit.

I just relised I hadnt turned the sound off on one of the other windows I had open!!!

Smiley

Yep, he was very upset about Dan Weldon and also the loss of a young British rall co-driver:

http://www.ircseries.com/news/detail/id/492

RIP Gareth
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30:17 am »

Lots of interesting topics to ponder over the next few days.

Looking at the Toyota crash again a few times it threw up an interesting observation on car construction.

I estimate that the Toyota was doing around 160mph when contact was made. The 456 probably around 140mph. The Toyota lost some momentum when it went airborne, the 456 lost some speed with its four locked tyres, but both hit the wall at roughly the same time which suggests that at impact they were both travelling at roughly the same velocity.

The Toyota hit at around 45 degrees, the 456 full on the side. Therefore the mass of the Toyota was concentrated on a smaller area.

Now take a look at the barriers after the crash. Both hit at the same speed but the damage to the barriers was much worse where the 456 hit.

That is a graphic illustration on just how damn heavy those GT cars are. The Toyotas carbon structure also dissipated the impact better, whereas the 456 hit hard and bounced off, flipping over as it went.

My conclusion is that the lighter car made from glorified plastic was the safer place to be in an accident.

Audi, love them or hate them, always use Le Mans as a proving ground for technologies that they pass onto the road cars. This year, as well as demonstrating Hybrid technology, they have taken their 'Ultra' technology one step further. If the result becomes lighter road cars then this can only be a step forward. Probably a greater step forward than the Hybrid concept.

Cars have become very bloated and heavy over the last two decades. A lighter car is not only more efficient but looks to be safer in an accident too. If the cars we get to drive become safer as a direct result of these new technologies then Le Mans it can be said, is a revelent as it always been in improving road cars. Be it lights, disc brakes, seat belts, turbochargers, fast and efficient diesel engines, this year has shown that even after 80 glorious races, Le Mans is still forfilling it's original objective as laid down in 1923- to show innovation and worth of the manufacturers product.

The fact it still remains a bloody great sporting event to boot is quite remarkable.

Here's to the next 80 years.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: