Club Arnage
April 23, 2024, 10:21:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Lizards not racing Porsches  (Read 11196 times)
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »

OMG!

http://www.lizardms.com/news/releases/2012/oct-26.html

What are they going to move on to?
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »

In worst case, they might end up with a Ferrari. They will stick to racing is what I've read, and that is what counts.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:39 pm »

All to do with Porsche stopping works involvement whilst they concentrate on the next generation 911

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103755

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:02:53 am »

Lizards the American sports car race team. Corvettes?
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:44:17 am »

Neither of those announcements say that Flying Lizards will not be running Porsche next year.
One says they will not be a Porsche development team and the other hedges where they will be racing.
While they may change horses or series.
With $$already in two cars they can still be competitive in ALMS if they hire good drivers $$$ or move over to GrandAm where they would also be competitive.
I suspect a lot of the support they have received from Porsche was in driver salary not just cutting edge refinements of the car.
The Lizards have been a good team for ALMS and carried the GT category for a number of years making it attractive for Corvette to stay and contest GT2 after GT1 died. There would not have been anywhere for Ferrari to come and play in North America without the Porsche  GT teams that soldiered on through the lean years at ALMS.

Phil
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:35 am »

With Porsche putting motorsport resources into an LMP car for 2014, I can see why they are pulling works support for GT teams in 2013. As CP says, there is nothing that Flying Lizard have said that absolutely rules out running Porsche in 2013, but what it does do is open the door to alternatives.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »

P2 in the WEC could be possible, Starworks have shown the way for US teams, as could a Grand AM Porsche powered proto if they decide to step up and out of GT's. More likely I think is another year with the current car, its not as if it suddenly become a dog and to change to another make would mean a massive expensive in spares and training for personal.

Should know in a few weeks if I have read the release right.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:17 pm »

What a shame.  They were part of the "furniture" and what a paint job.

As they've not thrown their toys out of the pram and called the Porsche factory a bunt of cunches, I'd guess they've been offered an LMP for 2014, so may be looking at something similar for 2013, perhaps LMP2.

RIP

* 80a.jpg (325.91 KB, 2777x1987 - viewed 610 times.)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:26:21 pm »

Just getting caught up after being away for a few days.  My guess is that they will soldier on with Porsches next year, then wait & see what shape the new ALMS/Grand-AM merger takes.  As Phil said, they could very well go the Grand-Am route also.  They've particpated in the Rolex 24 with a Porsche powered DP, and were usually the fastest car on the track.  My guess is they'll still be racing something Posrche powered, just a matter of what series, with an eye toward the new 2014 regs.
Fax
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:09 pm »

I suspect that if spectator willpower helped a car go quicker they would have been up the results table even further, such is the respect and affection they garner - there's a soft spot for them for many because of what they represent and how they come across as a team.

The 911s in their livery (and the 2011 Le Mans liveries were outstanding) have been great.  No doubt what comes next will become clear in due course.

MG Mark   

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:07 pm »

Mark, as you very well point out, they are enormously respected, both in the paddock, and on the hillsides.  As punters, my wife & I have a closet full of Lizard gear, t-shirts, sweatshirts (I think you guys call 'em jumpers), she wears a Flying Lizard edition Bulova on her wrist.  Seth Nieman will do what's best for his merry band (and they are a fun lot).  They have a long association with Porsche, and I suspect it will continue, the big question is, where, and in what?
Fax
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:47 pm »

Had an email over night from Flying lizards; Fill your boots with their mega sale!!

http://www.lizardms.com/store/sale.htm
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:03:51 pm »

Had an email over night from Flying lizards; Fill your boots with their mega sale!!

http://www.lizardms.com/store/sale.htm

As a fellow Lizards fan I have also received this info. The prices are pretty good and in my experience the quality of the merchandise is excellent. Watch out for the shipping costs from the US to UK though. Best to buy lots of stuff to make it worthwhile :-)

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:03 am »

Porsche stops the development program of the 997 RSR.  Not only Flying Lizard but also other teams like Felbermayer and Manthey won't have the factory support like they had in the past years.   Porsche will be testing the 991 next year and offer it to customers teams in 2014. 

I don't think teams like Flying Lizards, Felbermayer, Prospeed, Manthey ... will turn their back to Porsche.  They'll run the 997 RSR for another year and have the 991 in 2014.  The 991 will be tested in race conditions also, these teams will be first choice to Porsche to help them in the testing and development programme.

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:47 pm »

Good news for all us Flying Lizard followers:

Flying Lizard Announces ALMS GTC Racing Plan and Customer Program for 2013

November 15, 2012 – Sonoma, CA – Flying Lizard Motorsports announced today that the team will run the No. 44 Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car in the American Le Mans Series GTC class in 2013 with drivers Seth Neiman and Spencer Pumpelly. In addition, for the first time in its history, Flying Lizard is introducing a customer program for Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars. Team manager Eric Ingraham explained, "We're excited to race in GTC in 2013. Moving to GTC also gives us the opportunity to share our Porsche experience with customers who want to race professionally in either the ALMS GTC or IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge series." Interested customers should email info@lizardms.com for more information.

Ingraham added, "In this production-based class all teams run a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car so there are no manufacturer differences and the GTC rules mandate more spec features than in GT. This offers a level playing field that is still extremely competitive: to succeed, teams must differentiate through driving performance, race strategy, pit stops, car setup and thorough preparation."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: