Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 08:47:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions from a first timer  (Read 13564 times)
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:11:07 pm »

I have stayed at CPR a couple of times during the 24 hours. The last few times they have run a bus between the track and campsite for a charge, might be woRth phoning and finding out if they are doing this, since I know the ownership has changed and so has the price - risen dramatically.

Last time however I did what you are suggesting which is to get a parking rouge (which is really easy to get in and out of the track from, no queuing at all even at the end of the race) and then stay in the car for a few hours kip or just don't drink and then nip back to the campsite (which is what I did). Just make sure you park up against the fence to prevent getting parked in.

The bakery is only about a brisk 10 minutes walk in the morning and a big supermarket is only about 10 min drive. The bus into town goes direct from the town hall.

Be aware that the branch line of the tram line terminates in a pretty dodgy area. We had booked a taxi to pick us up from their and were very glad when it arrived. The #23 bus that you mention does not run late and so if you plan to send your wife back on the tram and then bus I would highly recommend you check the times.

SportsCarAddict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

Hi all,

Just got back home to Finland from our first Le Mans trip with the wife. The experience was superb for both of us even though my wife is not particularly interested in motorsports. We decided to book a hotel and drive to track. On Saturday night we wanted to drive to the hotel and back to the track on Sunday morning. I wanted to share how it worked out, just to help other Le Mans virgins who also might want to plan a nice "non-camping" trip to Le Mans Wink

- We drove to Le Mans on Saturday morning, traffic went standstill around 9:30 in a way I've never seen before, be sure to arrive before 9:00 as already has been written on this thread!  We barely escaped the jam and had to sit on the traffic only around 30 minutes.
- Traffic is worst when arriving from northeast on Voie de la Liberté, if possible planning your route to arrive from the opposite direction may save you possibly hours of time on traffic

- We booked a numbered parking spot from Park Blanc, a very good choice for us. Park Blanc is close to the start-finish line where we had Tribune seats, the car acted as a headquarters with plenty of cold water, snack, warm clothes, umbrellas etc.
- Finding your parking spot on the parking field can be difficult because most of the officials don't speak english and there is too few of them around the field, finally we bumped into an official riding a bicycle and she showed us the spot

- Tribune seats were a good choice, we had a good view to the track and pits, we took snacks and a bottle of wine there and enjoyed watching the race
- Race commentary is almost only in French and the radio is very hard to listen to with normal earbuds due to the drive-by noise, best option seems to be earmuffs over earbuds or earmuffs with built-in FM radio
- Cell phone network data transfer was jammed from time to time, couldn't follow the live timing or news articles on the official website as much as we'd liked to
- Food on the village can be expensive but not very good in quality, we found the best price to quality ratio from the sandwich/kebab tents outside the track area

- after sunset we wanted to go to Arnage and Mulsanne corner, there were a long queue to the shuttle buses so we decided to walk to Arnage which is around 4km from the Porsche curves
- Road from the main entrance all the way to Arnage was in standstill after midnight, because the shuttle buses were sitting on traffic we walked back to the Tribunes (here you need the warm clothes and after that, the cold water...)
- Visit to Arnage is a must. Don't miss it at any cost Grin There's lot of passing, some wheelspin when accelerating out, brake discs glowing red, the Christmas lights and glowing number plates on the cars, lots of people stuffed together, smell of the grill selling sausages and beer, the atmosphere is there!

- getting out the track after 1:00 AM was not a problem, we had to sit in traffic for about 20minutes to get to the highway, the traffic was jammed from main entrance to Arnage direction but not as bad to the opposite direction
- at this point the comfortable hotel bed in the quiet countryside was so good...and the warm shower in the morning was even better  Cool
- back to the track on Sunday morning between 9 and 10AM and almost all the traffic was gone by then

- after the race was finished we left right after the LMP1 podium ceremony was over, took us around 30 minutes to get to the highway
- highway near the entrance to A28 was badly jammed, we took a countryside route to north where the roads were clear, just a few cars with GB plates on the route  Wink

Hope this helps and at least serves as a reminder for us when we hopefully return to the race someday  Evil

edit: corrected some typos
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:13:05 pm by SportsCarAddict » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 06:56:48 pm »

An excellent write up, SportCarAddict.  Many thanks.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: