Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 04:00:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions from a first timer  (Read 13549 times)
Grumble Grotts

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:14 pm »

Hello everyone.  I am experienced camper and motorsport photographer and I have finally decided to get around to going to the Le Mans 24 Hours.  This was with the caveat that we would combine it with our holiday, so my wife is coming with me.  Le Mans is sandwiched neatly in the middle of our holiday.

Because my wife is coming with me, and she isn't a racing fan, I have booked Camping Pont Romain as I didn't think she would want to camp on site.  The problem I now have is what to do around the actual race in terms of getting kip, eating etc.  I have a parking place booked (albeit on parking Rouge) and I was wondering which of these would be my best option:

i) Park up, do the race stuff and kip in the car Saturday night when I get tired.
ii) Buy a pitch on one of the circuit campsites and take a 2 man tent just to get my head down Saturday night
iii) Take my bike (with lights and hi vis obviously) and cycle between CPR and the circuit
iv) Drive back to the CPR late Saturday and come back early Sunday.

I was wondering if those of you that have stayed at CPR could suggest the best way forward - or another option if you can think of something else.  I was also wondering if those of you who have stayed at CPR could confirm that the buses (and connecting trams) into town from Yvré l'Evêque are reliable?

Cheers
GG

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »

If you really are only going to be attending the actual race (or say 9 am Saturday to 4 pm Sunday), I would just get the parking space and kip in the car when you get desperate!

Getting in and out of the circuit during the race can be slow and difficult.

F
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:06:07 am »

Agree with Fran.
Traffic can be a real pain during the race, so just kip in the car during the night (or just stay awake  Grin)

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:40:42 am »

Definitely sleep in the car. The trams are very reliable though will be busy on race week end.
http://www.setram.fr/index.php ( if it does not load in English look at the bottom of the page.)
Phil
Grumble Grotts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:50:01 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.  Should I take my bike anyway for getting down to Arngage/Mulsanne?

I have never done a 24 hour race before - though I have worked nights (14 hour ones) for many years, so the staying up thing shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I just need to make sure I take my cooker, bivvy bag, sleeping bag and the like.  And a bowl for washing so I don't stink.

I may pack the other half off back to the campsite via tram and bus if getting out of the car park is not a good idea.  I believe that the tram branch line connects with the number 23 bus that goes back out to the town where the campsite is.

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:47:15 am »

Yes, traffic is bad around the circuit for the entire 24 hours, I've regularly been stuck in 3am traffic jams. Trams are immune from the traffic, and the terminus is at Tertre Rouge. But... I'm not sure if they run all through the night, I suspect not.

The sunrise at Le Mans can be quite a special time (roughly 6am) and quite often there are incidents and retirements just as the sun is rising, so it is a good time to be out and about. It is also the time when you can walk the circuit perimeter and soak up atmosphere. So... stay at the circuit kip a few hours in the car.

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:50:08 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.  Should I take my bike anyway for getting down to Arngage/Mulsanne?

I have never done a 24 hour race before - though I have worked nights (14 hour ones) for many years, so the staying up thing shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I just need to make sure I take my cooker, bivvy bag, sleeping bag and the like.  And a bowl for washing so I don't stink.

I may pack the other half off back to the campsite via tram and bus if getting out of the car park is not a good idea.  I believe that the tram branch line connects with the number 23 bus that goes back out to the town where the campsite is.
The Bivvy and sleeping bag could be a good option so you dont have to trek back to the car (unless it's wet), after midnight you can normally get in to the Tribunes. Cooking gear? this is France so lots of food options around the track, especially in the village, rather than lugging gear around, Wash bowl so you dont stink? again dont worry, this is France.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:13 pm »

mulsanne is too far for a push bike.there are regular navettes (buses) around the circuit for the 24hours.and small trains on the inside of track(reggae bus) bike can be good from camp/parking to circuit bus stop.but dont forget a decent chain.and lampost.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Grumble Grotts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 07:13:51 pm »

mulsanne is too far for a push bike.there are regular navettes (buses) around the circuit for the 24hours.and small trains on the inside of track(reggae bus) bike can be good from camp/parking to circuit bus stop.but dont forget a decent chain.and lampost.

I presume I am better taking the inside circuit option then rather than the Navette?  I read some horror story about people being stuck in traffic for hours on the Navettes.

I have just noticed there is a park and ride for the tram at Espal Arche De La Nature.  Has anyone used it, as that is not too far from Camping Pont Romain.

Cissie
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:36 pm »

We have a parking space at the ACO members car park, which is at the top of Rouge and every time we have walked in we have seen the French we small tents pitched during the race. So I would do as they do and if you happen to meet some English guys camping in the ACO camp site (also at the top of Rouge car park) they might let you in to use their shower and toilets.
Grumble Grotts

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:15:55 pm »

Does anyone have a view on what the best route to the circuit will be from Camping Pont Romain?  I know the place will be rammed, but you guys know the roads round there better than I do!

clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »

Hi GG - Welcome to Club Arnage,

I have not stayed at CPR before - so I cannot help with that - sorry.
There should be plenty of other Le Mansters around on that site who can help and advise either from here or once you are there!
If you get really stick about the trams / transport, PM me - I have a secret agent in Le Mans who can find out the information for you......................

1/ Sounds to me like your best option would be to leave Mrs G at the Campsite and take the car to Parking Rouge.
Stick a small tent in the back with the bike just in case.
A few beers and soft drinks, a baguette and some fromage - just in case you need to kip in the car and feel a bit peckish!
As Rhino says - there are a lot of places to eat and drink around the circuit!
A small towel, toothbrush and B/O basher will suffice if you need to be clean  - there are showers that can be accessed from the campsites and in the village area.

2/ If you need to pitch a small tent, I don't see why there would be a problem getting into most on-site camping without a camping pass (you only need a pass to drive the car in).
Either hook up with someone on here and 'borrow' a bit of space (you are more than welcome to stick a 2Man up in our plot!)
_or just walk in_
If you get asked why you are taking a tent into the campsite, just explain that you're taking a tent to stay with your friends who are already in there!!

3/ If you want to get down to Arnage or Mulsanne then worth taking the bike in the back of the car.
The buses last year were taking about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the round trip (not including watching time.......................budget 4 to 6+ hours!!)
There is NO ACCESS to either from inside the circuit during the race - you need to go around via Arnage village. Although it is still a bit of a trek, especially as these areas are best seen at night, it could be tricky in the dark, AND if you don't know where you are going, however there will be plenty of people around to ask for directions - half of them will be drunk and the other half will will be French (AND drunk)...... Grin Grin

4/ Getting the car on and off circuit during the race is always an absolute NIGHTMARE  Cry
AVOID.

Maybe see you there!
clk

* 2011_24_heures_du_mans_plan_situation .pdf (1517.64 KB - downloaded 388 times.)

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »

I've stayed at the camp site, but not at 24 hour time.
Nice little site, good showers, small pool.
No restaurant, but you can order sausage, or steak hache and chips for the evening, we drove into LM centre for a decent dinner.
You do need push bikes if you want fresh bread, croissants etc for breakfast, none available on site, local bakery in village 5 minutes away on a bike.
Grumble Grotts

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »

Hi GG - Welcome to Club Arnage,

I have not stayed at CPR before - so I cannot help with that - sorry.
There should be plenty of other Le Mansters around on that site who can help and advise either from here or once you are there!
If you get really stick about the trams / transport, PM me - I have a secret agent in Le Mans who can find out the information for you......................

1/ Sounds to me like your best option would be to leave Mrs G at the Campsite and take the car to Parking Rouge.
Stick a small tent in the back with the bike just in case.
A few beers and soft drinks, a baguette and some fromage - just in case you need to kip in the car and feel a bit peckish!
As Rhino says - there are a lot of places to eat and drink around the circuit!
A small towel, toothbrush and B/O basher will suffice if you need to be clean  - there are showers that can be accessed from the campsites and in the village area.

2/ If you need to pitch a small tent, I don't see why there would be a problem getting into most on-site camping without a camping pass (you only need a pass to drive the car in).
Either hook up with someone on here and 'borrow' a bit of space (you are more than welcome to stick a 2Man up in our plot!)
_or just walk in_
If you get asked why you are taking a tent into the campsite, just explain that you're taking a tent to stay with your friends who are already in there!!

3/ If you want to get down to Arnage or Mulsanne then worth taking the bike in the back of the car.
The buses last year were taking about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the round trip (not including watching time.......................budget 4 to 6+ hours!!)
There is NO ACCESS to either from inside the circuit during the race - you need to go around via Arnage village. Although it is still a bit of a trek, especially as these areas are best seen at night, it could be tricky in the dark, AND if you don't know where you are going, however there will be plenty of people around to ask for directions - half of them will be drunk and the other half will will be French (AND drunk)...... Grin Grin

4/ Getting the car on and off circuit during the race is always an absolute NIGHTMARE  Cry
AVOID.

Maybe see you there!
clk

That's really kind of you - thanks for the offer!  I will have a think about what I am going to do.  I suspect I may well just kip in the car - though I am aware it will be more like 36 hours by the time I have got to the circuit Saturday morning!

What time do you think I should aim to be on Parking Rouge by?  I have heard it gets full and people can get turned away.

Hope to see some of you at the 6 hour race at Silverstone in April!

clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »

I would guess to aim to be there AT LEAST before 9am.
I don't really know as I have not parked there before ...................................anyone??

I would try to avoid getting onto circuit by car any later than this as it is really crazy at that end of the circuit at that time.

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: