Club Arnage
April 30, 2024, 11:32:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rush  (Read 6563 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

Went and saw it this past weekend.  My thoughts are much as Nordic's.  Many historically inaccurate mistakes, and I thought the staged racing sequences were pretty awful.  Funny how every circuit bore a remarkable resemblance to Brands Hatch.  On the plus side they did a great job with the characters, Daniel Bruhl was fantastic as Niki, got him absolutely spot on.  The big, computer generated, panoramic shots of the Ring, Monza, Fuji, etc. were very nice.
Agreed Nordic, the sequence where BRM is supposed to be testing at Ricard is painful to watch.
As I recall, there was never any agro between James, and Niki, but there was a bit between Ferrari and McLaren.  I suppose it helps the plot if the two protagonist can't stand each other.
I thought the Cevert crash scene was unnecessary (and inaccurate)
Wow! Does Olivia Wilde look like Suzy or what!  James was never as well dressed as his character is in the movie.
Overall enjoyed it very much, well worth the twenty bucks for the Mrs & I.
Fax
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

I thought the staged racing sequences were pretty awful. 

Its not often I agree with you Fax (or to be more accurate its not often I know what you are talking about - no offence intended) but I have to say I am with you on this.

I thought the race sequences were the weakest part of the film and I loathe CGI, or whatever form of fakery was used, in this sort of context - the colour and everything about it seemed misplaced. 

I loved the little end piece - completely unexpected on my part, though it may be common knowledge to others!

F
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:52:17 pm »

Agreed Fran, the end was a nice touch.  That, and the scene where Marlene's car breaks down and the two Italian guys stop to help she & Niki, were probably my two favorites of the movie.  I could totally see a couple of young Italian's acting like that. Wink
Fax
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:57:37 pm »

I was in New York this last weekend on business and had a chance to see the movie on a big screen with top quality sound as only a NY movie house can do it.

I decided to watch the movie as if I knew nothing about F-1 but liked cars and all that stuff.  An interested but ignorant fan...some of my mates would say that I don't have to try very hard to achieve that.

The sights and sound of the cars were great and the story was well-done.  There was nice character development and "Niki" was spot on as I have met him at Sebring but never met Hunt.  Considering the real cars from that era are worth way too much money to have them run in the rain and near each other, I think Ron Howard did a commendable job simulating the actual cars and the racing sequences.

I enjoyed it!  Worth the $$ and glad it was on a big screen.  Still love the Tyrelles (sp?)...

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 03:22:51 am »

Shoot, as a Niki fan at the time, I woulda loved to have met him.  Sad
My oppurtunity woulda' been when he was at Sebring. When wuz that?  Huh

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »

Like you JC, I'm curious about when Niki was at Sebring, I don't ever recall him racing there.
Fax
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:36 am »

Well I finally got round to seeing it, and what a good film it is. 

I have to agree with Fax about every circuit looking remarkably like Brands, and yes the race scenes were a bit torturous.  Overall though I thought it was a bloody good film, and given it's supposed to be entertainment and not a documentary I can live with these small things. 

I thought the whole story worked well and the main players did their real life copunterparts justice - especially, as Fax has already mentioned, Bruhl as Niki. 

Loved the scene in the hangar at the end. 

Glad I finally got to see it - and I had the cinema to myself.   Grin

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:10 pm »

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »

One thing I would loved to have seen would have been the inclusion of Bazza at Fuji.  As I recall Barry was there, as he famously said, "to lend James immoral support".
1976 was a good year to be a British motor racing enthusiast, James being F1 champ, and Sheene taking the 500cc GP title.
Fax
(And Regga never had that much hair) Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:13:56 pm by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 11:35:31 pm »

Went to see it last week, enjoyed almost every minute of it.

I did expect probably more from the racing scenes, and it was too obvious most of them were shot at Brands Hatch, but that's about the only thing in the film that bothered me a bit.  And not uncluding the fact that Hunt was nearly forbidden to take the restart at Brands & the reaction of the crowd back then. 

End sequence was very nice also ! 

Radar
CA Veteran

What is this llama sh*t anyway?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:06:58 pm »

Cool film. Only two things annoyed me. 1) Some pretty clunky dialogue and 2) The "gear change turbo effect", as seen in loads of racing films where two drivers are neck and neck, then one of them changes gear and surges ahead. On the plus side - 70s racers and Olivia Wilde. Bring it on!
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:47:28 am »

yes agree with all, finally got to see it, a bit digital in race shots in places, fantastic sound track, riveting.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:43 pm »

brilliant film - race shots crap IMO (cadwell, the ring and brands)

gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 02:58:36 pm »

Rush" nominated for Best Picture.

Daniel Bruehl nominated for Best Supporting Actor in his spot-on portrayal of Niki Lauda.

The best racing movie since "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans".

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formula-1/f1-rush-nominated-as-best-motion-picture-drama-in-golden-globes/

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »

Saw Ron Howard and Niki Lauda interviewed on the Charlie Rose show here in the US on PBS the other night.  Ron came off as very enthusiastic about the film, but still not as knowledgeable about the sport as he would have you believe (he refers to the time shortly after winning the title when James had a colleague die in his arms...huh?  Can only assume he was referring to the '78 Monza shunt, but Ronnie was very much alive when James pulled him from the car).
Niki was terrific, same old Niki, no bullshit, no regrets.
Here's a link to the full show. http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2602149913/
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: