Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 03:23:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Will Win?  (Read 6370 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:01:24 am »

We appear to be at the beginning of a new era of racing where winning outright at Le Mans no longer depends upon what fuel is used but rather what hybrid technology approach is used.

It also looks like the race is wide open and that any of the three protagonists could take the prize.

The question is who will win and why. 

Will it be the Audi, who have a slick operation but who might have got a bit set in their ways and lost some of their hunger, Toyota who are obviously coming onto full form following their result at Spa or Porsche who have the budget and might think that the prize should be theirs just because of their history.

Views?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:29 am »

It's too close to call IMO.  

Audi have their strengths - efficiency, knowledge, some speed but not the outright pace, reliability.

Toyota have really grown into the series - their car is extremely fast, and so far reliable - but 6 hours is different to 24 - if it stays together, I think they'll win.

Porsche were blindingly quick on certain corners at Silverstone and Spa - but reliability has to be their potential issue.  They're also not QUITE up to speed with the team side of pit stops etc - but I suspect this will be ironed out by the time we hit the big race.

Overall, I think any of the three manufacturers could win it - for me though, it's likely to be Toyota, Audi, Porsche based on previous races.

I love the fact that it's too close to call!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:26 am »

I will go for Toyota. Toyota and Porche are running the 6mj boost meaning they should have a 1.6 second a lap advantage over the Audi which is running the 2mj boost. Should also be able to go a lap longer.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:37 am »

Toyota!

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:38:00 am »

I'm going to say Audi. I just have a feeling at least one of their cars will tramp round steadily for the 24hours and the race will come to them through faults and break downs with the other teams. That and I always get the impression they hold a little back in reserve before Le Mans and unleash it in quali.

They have lumps of what round the back???
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:30:18 am »

My heart says Porsche
My head says Toyota
Dr Ullrich says Audi

I tested negative for patience.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:17:55 am »

I'm Hoping the 3 main teams run themselves into the ground and rebellion sneak up and win.

But in reality, Audi have turned up before with the slower car & triumphed so i suspect they will be a hard team to beat in the race, having three cars will prove decisive as well i think.

I expect a battle for pole, Porsche will want the bragging rights and Toyota know they have a have a fast package so will expect to claim pole. so assuming its dry for q then it could be mega laps!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
enzo
CA Veteran

!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »

I think the dreaded weather could have a big influence on the race too, A dry race will suit both Toyota and Porsche more but as we saw back in 08 when the pugs had nearly 3 seconds a lap over the Audi's but then the rains came and we all got soaked to the skin but the Audi triumphed. So watch out for Dr Ulrich doing his rain dance.

PS I also remember the peugeot's desperately changing noses and wing sections to try and cope with the rain.

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:16 pm »

Porsche will probably be on pole, they've got the speed to beat Toyota and Audi and will probably try everything to get pole position.
For the race, I'd put my money on Toyota this year.  They've won both WEC races so far and seem to have a good package; fast and reliable.  Off course, it won't be easy to beat Audi although they don't seem to have the fastest car, but on reliability they always have a chance of winning it.  

It should be a great one this year with Toyota coming to LM with a winning package, Audi counting on reliability, and Porsche wanting to have a comeback in style.

Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »

Nissan ZEOD  Evil

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

My heart says Porsche
My head says Toyota
Dr Ullrich says Audi

This all the way

Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:27 pm »

Porsche.
enzo
CA Veteran

!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »

Anyone see some of the facts from the test day, Looks like Toyota were sandbagging the car quite a lot see link (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay14.html) that on the quickest lap they only did <300kmh thru the speed trap yet on an in lap they did 336kmh.
The Toyota looks 100% the car to beat if they have overcome their reliability issues of previous years !

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »

Audi. Anyone who thinks Audi have lost their hunger have forgotten that Dr Ulrich would still chop his own kidneys out mid race if it resulted in a win. Never underestimate the Doc.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:09 pm »

It is us the FANS who are the winners.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang