Club Arnage
April 23, 2024, 10:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford GT Mk IV  (Read 4357 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2003, 11:03:56 pm »

Just read a fascinating interview with Dan Gurney, concerning his and AJ's 1967 victory.
The Ford team actually cheated to win the race (don't think they'd have got away with it these days). What cunning trick did they utilise to fool the ACO scrutineers?  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 01:27:30 am »

Hi Matt,
I'll have to dig into my copy of "Ford vs Ferrari, The Battle for Le Mans"  to look up the answer.  I do remember that they had to re-work the roofline of the Foyt-Gurney car a bit to get the lanky Californian seated properly.  If you ever get the chance to meet Dan Gurney, by alls means jump at it.
He's really great fun to chat with.  As well as being a racing legend, he's a great enthusiast of the sport and loves to talk about it.  Doesn't have a shred of superstar ego.
John
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 09:42:56 am »

Didn't they fiddle with the ride height ? The car was lower than the ACO regulations would allow. So they used a clamp in the springs to increase the ride height for the ACO inspection. On the track they pulled it out so that the car was on its original ride height. Clever boys they were.  Wink  Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:44:38 am by hgb » Logged

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 02:42:42 pm »

Bang-on, hgb!
The car wouldn't go over 'the box' (as seen in the scrutineering scene in the Le Mans movie). The team inserted a shim in the front springs, which raised the ride height. They rigged-up a cable so that they could pull the shims out, once the car was on the track, the cheating bastards!
Actually this was an old NASCAR trick and the good 'ol boys were reknowned for their conniving ways. I remember seeing a TV interview with Bobby Allison (?) where the interviewer was holding a nitrous oxide kit like a dead octopus, that had just been removed from his car. When asked to account for it, he said he thought it was something to do with the suspension, but he wasn't sure....... that'll be right, then.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 06:30:20 pm »

For the winning driver pairing in 1967 Le Mans was part of a remarkable few weeks.  What were their other accomplishments during that three or four week period?  This is actually pretty easy.
John
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 09:01:01 pm »

Something to do with The Brickyard, by any chance?

Fax
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 10:06:27 pm »

Two weeks before Le Mans AJ Foyt won a dramatic third Indy 500.
he was second with a handfull of laps to go when Parnelli Jones's STP turbine car broke a six dollar bearing handing the win to Foyt but not before he had to thread his way through a five car accident in the fourth turn on the last lap.  The following weekend after Le Mans was the day the Eagle flew!  Dan Gurney drove his Eagle-Weslake to victory over Jackie Stewart's BRM in the 1967 Grand Prix of Belgium. Still the first and only win for an American built GP car.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: