Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 04:29:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting Normandy.  (Read 11074 times)
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:00:07 pm »

We have a couple of days in Normandy this year, and were planning to visit the D-Day beaches among other things.
We are based in Bayeux and have pencilled in the following:

Pegasus Bridge museum
Sword, Gold, Juno and Omaha beaches
Bayeux Tapestry
D-Day museum at Bayeux.

Anything we have forgotten?
Any recommendations especially for which military cemeteries, battery sites, museums etc should be on the list?
Also if we fancy a 'normal' afternoon on the beach, which would be best?
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:38:21 pm »

The Observation tower at Ouiistram (sorry for bad spelling) If you're going Pegasus it's just up the road, also, go have a look at the actual landing site by Cafe Gondree

Also, as you're in Normandy, why not try a Calvados tour?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:41:24 pm by Jason » Logged

Wooosh!!!!
cja

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »

Pegasus Bridge (& Café Gondree) and the obsv tower are 'musts' - as is the Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches.

Loads to see - maybe too much to appreciate in one go??  Difficult one

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:06:15 pm »

Loads to see - maybe too much to appreciate in one go??  Difficult one

Agreed, going to make a list and then see what is practicable in the time.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »

You'll probably find that time is a limitation to do everything and there will be plenty of smaller sites and memorials which you will see along the route.  

As well as the Pegasus memorial, the Juno Centre and the Arromanches Museum are both worth it as part of the beaches trip.  The former has more kit to look at and an impressively big sweep of beach, the latter a good view over the Mulberry harbours; if I was limited to one, I'd focus on the first of those.  

Bayeux has a sizeable Commonwealth War Graves cemetery which is well worth a visit, as is the American Cemetery near Omaha beach, and the German cemetery between Bayeux and Issigny to complete the picture.  They are all poignant, humbing and memorable in different ways.  

One place which will depend entirely on what route you're taking is, if your routing works, the memorial to the Bruneval raid (Operation Biting) which is on the coast near Etratat - not D-Day, but a fascinating story and place.  

MG Mark  

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42:28 pm »

You need a couple of weeks ...!

Spent about 5 hours at Pegasus Bridge & museum on Saturday just gone, personally think it is great. Even better as had just read the book by Stephen E. Ambrose. Museum does have a high personal content (plenty of family donations) which may not be your cuppa though.

Also did Maisie battery between Omaha & Utah, trumps Pointe du Hoc in a big way in terms of relevance. Stuff is just creeping out of secret files after 70 years and seems the Rangers were (may have been/allegedly) told to go for Maisie at short notice before D-Day but ignored the order. And in any event their target was not Pointe du Hoc, it was actually another (third) battery whose name escapes me.

The American Cemetery at Omaha has a good museum - paid a return visit last Friday.

If you are going to spend time at Arromanches the PlayStore App - Arromanches 1944 - is definitely worth playing with in advance. and is a fair substitute (IMHO) for the museum there. Problem with the museums is they close at 18:00 and the App is 24/7. We navigated down to the beach at Asnelles (small signpost off D514) which is one of the App points of view. Almost definitely worth timing any visit to Arromanches to be at low tide so you can see more of the breakwater remnants.

Remember enjoyed the Canadian Museum on Juno Beach on a previous visit - didn't make it this time though.

Personally was underwhelmed by both the Tapestry and Memorial Museum in Bayeux on a previous visit so skipped Bayeux completely last week.

I do make a pilgrimage to St Mere Eglise every time I have a chance (and again last Friday). Probably mainly because of the scenes in The Longest Day. But in fact is a relatively long way from anything else and is becoming pretty much a tourist trap so unless you have loads of time is missable.

There are tons of other museums around - Tank Museum, Reporters Museum etc - depends on your poison! Let alone various places for degustation of Cidre, Calvados et al.

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:28:00 pm »

Love tanks, where is that?

Jo wants to see the Tapestry, who am I to argue  Grin
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:05:42 am by Barry » Logged
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:06:31 am »

Saw it from the N13 on way to St Mere Eglise. Didn't go in but seems like fun, website here.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 02:31:29 pm »

Saw it from the N13 on way to St Mere Eglise. Didn't go in but seems like fun, website here.
We are also there before and after LM, the tank museum looks a good day out for the boys, maybe drop the girls at the Tapestry. We did Pegasus last year, very poignant, very worthwhile. I thought the actual beaches were very sanitised now, inevitably, the American Cemetary is huge and very moving.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:39:34 pm by Snoring Rhino » Logged
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 03:47:03 pm »

Pegasus may take up most of one day, especially if you get the chance to chat with Mme at the Café

My friend Bill and I were chatting with her for a couple of hours when we visited, 'specially since she discovered we were Brummies and she'd married into Brummy Nobility after the war

Wonderful lady with so much to tell

The Arromanches museum killed about three hours for me too, next day

So to recap, I think you will need a good four days to absorb most of the feel for that momentous event in Normandy

You will enjoy (enjoy? Not sure enjoy is right, it was a dreadful war after all) the visit though and never forget it

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:06 am »

The Juno Centre is more about the present Canada and the future. Geared towards Children and education.
I would suggest Bernières-sur-Mer. Walk the beach and look towards the town. I bet you will recognise the house where Canadian regiments landed...
The Queen's Own Rifles landed on "Nan" sector of Juno Beach and with the support of tanks of the Fort Garry Horse captured the strategic seaside resort town of Bernières-sur-Mer. The battalion fought its way to its D-Day objective - the village of Anisy 13.5 km (8.4 mi) inland, the only Regiment to reach its assigned objective that day.

Phil
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

Jo wants to see the Tapestry, who am I to argue  Grin

There's an exact replica in Reading Town Hall.  Just saying...

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »

We splashed on a guided tour this year as knowing our luck, we'd be standing on the wrong beach  Huh Leaving Friday 5th with a Bletchley Park visit planned on-route.

And I've started preparations already which is a first for me.  angel angel Its usually the morning I'm leaving.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:00:58 pm by Stu » Logged
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:23 am »

We splashed on a guided tour this year as knowing our luck, we'd be standing on the wrong beach  Huh Leaving Friday 5th with a Bletchley Park visit planned on-route.

And I've started preparations already which is a first for me.  angel angel Its usually the morning I'm leaving.
Hi Stu,
          Atleast you have a passport this year  Grin See you in a field in France.
Phil
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:09 pm »

Hi Stu,
          Atleast you have a passport this year  Grin See you in a field in France.
Phil

Can't wait Phil, can't wait.  Smiley Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: