Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 06:52:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans Pensioners Club  (Read 18000 times)
trusty

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »

Being going to Le Mans for years, now 62 still able to knock back a few beers tho, question how old is to old to go!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:02:47 pm »

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:51 pm »

Nah, the likes of Delboy and Perdu have been going for bloody aeons longer than that. Since Pontius was a pilot. There appears not to be an upper limit. And if there was I for one would ignore it.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:17:31 pm »

I'm glad to read that Bob. it means I'm not half way there yet.  Smiley.

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »

Les'see.... I'm 60 and have yet to make it across the pond to attend. I guess if I do the math c'rectly, I have 77 years yet to make it. Yahooooo......  Grin Grin Grin

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
cja

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:59 pm »

Being going to Le Mans for years, now 62 still able to knock back a few beers tho, question how old is to old to go!

There isn't one, it's just long as you want to go.......& long may that continue!! 

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:45:29 pm »

Sadly, I have to announce that the answer to that is, for me anyway, three score and ten.

I went last year which was the 50th anniversary of my first visit, and whilst I still greatly enjoyed it, the combination of several issues forced me to make the decision that it would be my last.

Firstly, these old bones would not let me see and do as much as I used to and as much as I wanted to:

Secondly, the onset of diabetes severely restricts the amount of liquid pleasure that I can consume - doc says I should not drink beer at all, but I do in relatively low quantities:

Thirdly, the pills I have to take to counter diabetes have unfortunate side effects which, without being too detailing, make it necessary for me to be fairly close to some toilet facilities - and when one is living in a field in France among several thousand of other folk who are also trying to use those same (limited) toilet facilities, the result could be rather embarrassing.

I have to say that I am already regretting the decision, as I believe there will be some very good racing over the next few years.  I know there are others who are of an age or older than I and who still make the trip but for me, the medical situation dictates the result!

I still follow endurance racing, and will follow the 24 hours of Le Mans for as long as I draw breath.  Fortunately, Club Arnage provides an excellent platform to keep in the swing of things, but I will have to rely on the telebox for the visuals!!

Del

Team Delboy Racing
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:35:28 pm »

"The onset of diabetes severely restricts the amount of liquid pleasure that I can consume - doc says I should not drink beer at all, "

That's a bit concerning, I had a blood test this week cos the quack thought I could have diabetes. What happens if you drink too much?  Evil

Del, sorry to hear you won't be there this year, though understandable given the circs. I've said elsewhere that watching it on the telly is great if you are interested in what is going on on the race, you get a much better idea of what's happening. (Did you think of coming down for a few days earlier in the week when there is less pressure/queueing for "facilities"?). Take care of yourself!!!
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:01:37 pm »

As the biblical sell-by date is fast approaching, I am trying my best to keep up, but while the spirit is willing the flesh is weakening. In the last three months I have been to church seven times and am awaiting the eighth, and I am not religious in the slightest. So while avoirdupoid is helping keeps the earth in orbit, I feel that lethargy is requiring more attention. But I shall fight to the death, which sadly is statistically getting nearer. Now where's that bottle?
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 09:23:08 pm »

Hmm I  will be 73  this year.
I'll be on Houx from Sunday 7th to Monday 16th and intend to keep it like that until I drop.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »

I'm damned sorry to hear that news Del, rotten rubbish for you mate   Angry

Me I'm just a slip of a lad, only 67 or 68 (who's counting? Sad  ) and Dame Fortune reckons I'm all right for at least a bit longer

So I don't mind hanging on for Bob's appointed time at least and seeing what we get to in the mean time

Lets face it I have a pair of younger knees to wear in walking the line, Tertre Rouge from the Dunlop bridge is one part of this year's plan, been a while since I did that

Del, I will sink a sympathy stubby for you on Saturday night

Then another

Then...

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 11:57:48 pm »

Del,

I'm sorry to hear read you not going to making the trip again. But I've heard that before.  I seem to recall D Bell said that's it but came back a year or two later.

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 12:55:28 pm »

Keep going untill the fat lady sings. You know it makes sense.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

"The onset of diabetes severely restricts the amount of liquid pleasure that I can consume - doc says I should not drink beer at all, "

...... What happens if you drink too much?  Evil

Geoff - the simple answer is you fall over, whether you have diabetes or not   Wink

If you have diabetes (which essentially means the system to control the amount of sugar entering the bloodstream is knackered), then you can have too little sugar, and you fall over as your muscles stop working, or your blood can have too much sugar, in which case you fall over because all the major organs stop working.  That was how I was diagnosed - I got a splinter in my finger, and it would not heal and the finger swelled up.  Went to the docs and they did a blood check which came out at 37 (normal level is 5 - 7).  Apparently, another few days and my person would have started to close down.  The reason my finger wouldn't heal is that the white blood cells don't do their job of eating the germs when the sugar level gets too high.

Ironically enough, wine is better than beer, and spirits are better still - the stronger the tipple, the less sugar there is.  But I keep my intake to quite a modest level, and test my blood sugar level twice a week, so can reduce/increase the intake accordingly   Smiley

Hope your test come out clear.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »

Being going to Le Mans for years, now 62 still able to knock back a few beers tho, question how old is too old to go!
I'm asking exactly the same question.  Two of our team have died in the last year, and we're not sure that the younger generation will  be able to look after us in the manner to which we've become accustomed.  We have diabetes issues too, with two tests a day, but for a scotch drinker, so not too big a problem.

Conclusion, no horizon in sight  Wink  but those portapottys come in handy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:30:12 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: