Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 04:51:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike security  (Read 4962 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:13 am »

I almost brought bikes this year, but didn't.

We have reasonable bikes, (£500-1000 new) but was a bit concerned about taking them.

How did people find bike security - I assume they will disappear if not locked up.

Did people find bikes were ok, or is the advice to get a couple of old ones?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 01:50:32 pm »

Took ours this - and actually used them (this time)

YES LOCK them up! - to something fixed! - always as watch people check bikes out to see if were locked

ours look old and not worth nicking - but i would only take a bike I would not worried if nicked

Worth taking - as were on Houx - and easier to get around - need a bike rack next time for a crate of beer  Grin

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »

We take bikes. Always take a knackered looking one so no one will steal it. As stated, lock it to something solid.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ukcobra

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:35 am »

I took a bike for the first time, decided against taking the Cube (£1K) and took a £120 second hand one.

Despite it being locked up, bolt croppers were used and the steel cable snipped. A number of bikes were also taken from Houx, it sounded to me like a planned effort to steal a bunch of bikes.
In the dark, the bike looked quite nice, I guess they were disappointed in the daylight, as it was quite well used and scratched.

It was not reported stolen, as I wanted to spend the last few hours of the race watching it rather than reporting it to the police.

We estimate it was taken between 3am and 4.30am on the Sunday morning. I got up to check if there was a sunrise photo opportunity to find it had gone. It was only 2 metres from my head, while I was sleeping in my camper.

My hope to the thieves, is that the front forks fail, and you need new teeth.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:56 pm »

I guess you have to be careful of what you take and where you leave it. We took a nice pair of Surly Cyclocross bikes, and despite the fact they were fitted out with Campagnolo wheels, Brooks saddles, Chris King etc, they didn't look 'trendy' by the retarded scum that steel bikes for a 'living'. We just put them back on the bike rack on the back of the camper when not in use (which wasn't very often, we did around 45 miles over the weekend!).
 On the other hand, some people don't have a clue about the bikes they own. Many bikes are ones found in the back of the garage; Dad's old bike will do. One scruffy old mountain bike up near the Dunlop bridge on Saturday evening was probably one of THE most sought after bikes for vintage MTB collectors. A 1993 Klein Attitude in the desirable team colour way. I've seen mint examples do £5000 and even rough frames do a couple of grand! This poor thing was just leant up against a fence with a £2 Aldi lock securing it. The scumbags with the bolt droppers probably walked past it several times!

I would not be put off taking a bike. Bikes made this my best LM to date and enabled us to do and see so much more. Just remember a spare inner tube. Riding back from Arnage in the early hours on a flailing tyre is pretty sh*t and doesn't half bugger up those posh Campag wheels!

Good for going to the pub on too!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:05:28 pm by Lazy B'stard » Logged

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 07:13:48 pm »

I took an old bike with me for many years.... one time I locked it to a fence panel and when I came back the lock had been cut, the fence panel taken away and my bike left out on the ground!

Mind you the lock probably cost more than the bike.

F

ukcobra

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »

I was going to take my nice new Cube , and am really glad I did not. SO next time it will be a cheap bike, which I will remove the front wheel over night, so it will stop the scrote riding it out and use a number of meaty locks. The front wheel will be locked in the camper !

The nice bike will have to stay at home. I would be very unhappy to lose a nice one.

The bike I took was mince, but I had passed onto my son for him to use, and he was a little cross it had gone.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 11:00:35 am »

Loving the Surly Si!
A bit of double bluff class there.

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »

So....

I have to get a couple of bikes that are good but look knackered even at night.  I need to avoid any classics. Don't lock it to a good fence panel, 'cos that'll be nicked, and if possible, leave it chained to a large fierce dog, or failing that, a kryponite New York lock.

Thanks everyone

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:40 pm »

oh yea - secret take a cheap crap bike - and prepare to leave it there and with the spare space, more booze to bring back

Good place to find cheap bikes - all from the Rozzers

http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAuctionPro.asp

no good for me, as most seem to be down souff

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:34 am »

oh yea - secret take a cheap crap bike - and prepare to leave it there and with the spare space, more booze to bring back

Good place to find cheap bikes - all from the Rozzers

http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAuctionPro.asp

no good for me, as most seem to be down souff

Thought you were posher than that Neil, thought you were from darn sarff

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: