Club Arnage
June 07, 2024, 02:09:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan will return next year  (Read 3451 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

Why am I not surprised?  Grin

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/08/07/nissan-to-address-technical-issues-of-lm-p1-car-before-returning-to-fia-wec.html

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »

Strangely, they haven't given up, like Aston Martin with the AMR One.  Embarrassed  Cry

They thought they'd do something clever, that nobody had done before (because they all knew it wouldn't work) and then did what Ferrari used to do, and blamed "minor electrical problems"

It just wasn't fast out of the corners

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »

They need to address one particular technical issue with their LMP1 car.

Specifically, it's complete crap.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:05:28 am »

One of the biggest problems was a non-functioning hybrid system, had that been working then they would have been a lot quicker and a lot less fragile on the braking front, not sure they would have been up there with Audi and Porsche of course.  I for one would like to see them get the car fully functional before declaring that it's crap or otherwise!

Everyone moans about F1 cars all looking and sounding the same,  variety is what makes the WEC much more interesting, and the Nissans are certainly more varied!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »

....  I for one would like to see them get the car fully functional before declaring that it's crap or otherwise!......

Ditto, and let's not forget that despite at best having a half functioning hybrid system (IIRC they had hybrid drive to the fronts but not the rears as well) meaning that they lost about 4 seconds at every chicane, they were the fastest car through the Mulsanne speed trap.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:55:50 am »

I thought that the loss through the chicanes was the suspension setup and the basic fact that the weight distribution was too much like an Autin Metro.

That said, I really want them to get it right and bring something new into play - real innovation.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:22:08 am »

I thought that the loss through the chicanes was the suspension setup and the basic fact that the weight distribution was too much like an Autin Metro.

That was the product of the problem, which I understand was that the hybrid system designers/suppliers screwed up and failed to supply the necessary components for the rear drive.  That didn't become apparent to the Nissan team until it was too late, result being that they had to re-engineer the car to run without rear drive units and without the drive components - that's why it was withdrawn from the first 2 WEC rounds to try and buy time to get something ready for Le Mans. All things considered, it ran pretty well being so seriously compromised in terms of weight distribution and power, and they doubtless gained a wealth of useful data and experience for next year.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:20:34 am »

I think there were a number of factors at play, not least that the suspension was too fragile to cope with too much kerb being taken, and that the hybrid system wasn't working at all thus the front brakes were wearing out as they weren't being used to harvest energy as they should, and without the hybrid system they didn't have the extra energy to power out of corners at all.

I seem to remember that despite being the fastest car through the speed traps they were dropping something like 8 seconds from Tertre Rouge to Mulsanne Corner!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: