Club Arnage
April 19, 2024, 05:13:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes at Le Mans?  (Read 10593 times)
Bruichladdich Boy

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:55:03 am »

This was posted on another forum.................not good

Have just got back from WSR in Le mans and have to report the circuit has gone "cashless" a la Nurburgring. Have to pay for (1 euro) and charge up a card from various cash cabins set up around the place and then use that to buy all your drinks and food etc. Plan is that at the end of the day you line up and get refunded anything not used over 1 euro but you can imagine the queues at the end of the day so most don't bother.
No displays on the tills either so difficult to know how much balance you have left. This was a much smaller event that the 24 hours and cannot imagine it working too well once 1/4 million people are using it.
It all looks permanent as well so guessing it will be in place for the 24h in 2016.
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »

More booze and food will be carried in to the circuit then I guess.  Huh

Crouch..........bind..........set
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:26:19 pm »

Spa tried this sort of thong for a year. Soon stopped, it was more trounle than it was worth. I can't see this going down well at the 24, long queues for cards, and then topping them up, then cashing out at the end of the race. I can't see this happening, it would not be a popular move on the fans

Wooosh!!!!
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »

How odd.  I thought the food and drink stalls were privately owned.

I don't spend much so would stop altogether, but then there's the Guinness bar  Shocked

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »

Spa tried this sort of thong for a year. Soon stopped, it was more trounle than it was worth. I can't see this going down well at the 24, long queues for cards, and then topping them up, then cashing out at the end of the race. I can't see this happening, it would not be a popular move on the fans

Hopefully see the error their ways before june, Spa had gone the other way when we went last year, you had to use cash for the entry ticket!!! No Cards accepted!
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:27:14 am »

I can see this being a right PITA for any groups that do a whip - such as The Brethren at the Guinness Bar on Saturday afternoon.

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:04:38 pm »

I think the cafes and bars aren't giving the ACO all their percentage, so this will stop them cheating.

The Brethren could have a kitty card, and topping it up every time they have a whip.

But what happens when you order 10 pints and the card only has enough credit for 5  Cry

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:33:13 am »

Spa tried this sort of thing for a year. Soon stopped, it was more trouble than it was worth. I can't see this going down well at the 24, long queues for cards, and then topping them up, then cashing out at the end of the race. I can't see this happening, it would not be a popular move on the fans

Hopefully see the error their ways before june, Spa had gone the other way when we went last year, you had to use cash for the entry ticket!!! No Cards accepted!
Yep, in 2013 it was queue up for tokens, use whole or half tokens for the food/beer and then have many left over. And by the end of the WEC race all the token places were shut, so you couldn't exchange back. Bad idea.

If you want to go cashless, just go for Credit Cards only, still a Pain, but better than this plan

Wooosh!!!!
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:21 pm »

Can't they start accepting Apple Pay - that's the modern people's way you know

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 03:25:42 pm »

I've got some rather nice pears and a couple of old bananas.  Will that do?

Steve East Anglian cobras

landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:03 pm »

I've got some rather nice pears and a couple of old bananas.  Will that do?

Everyone loves a nice pear

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:52 pm »

When you hear a story like this about LM, I always think how it would work with the French, after all the largest number of spectators.
They will hate it and vote with their wallets.

We don't buy that much on the circuit, if this came in, even less.

The only way that the ACO could protect the spend of the spectators would be to have draconian rules and searches to stop food and drink being taken through the gates. Which again the French section of the crowd with their picnics and bottles of red, would take a very dim view to.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:51:28 pm by Barry » Logged
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:54:34 am »

If they do implement this, I guess the Tertre Rouge bar will get busier (being the nearest off circuit drinkery / eatery!)

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »

It wasn't that long ago that they were still accepting Cheques (drawn on a French bank) at the circuit for food and drink!

We don't buy huge amounts at the circuit, but it'll probably be even less if we have to mess about getting a card loaded and then unloaded!

I expect it to all collapse into chaos the first time it's used, but I guess they'll get it right in the end, probably why they were trying it at WSR.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:12 pm »

I think the cafes and bars aren't giving the ACO all their percentage, so this will stop them cheating.

The Brethren could have a kitty card, and topping it up every time they have a whip.

But what happens when you order 10 pints and the card only has enough credit for 5  Cry

It's so terribly French isn't it. Just like President Hollande putting up their top rate of income tax to 75% and being baffled and aghast why it raised less actual revenue than the previous lower rate...

How long for the ACO to work out 20% of something is better than 50% of feck all?

Cretins.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: