Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 03:22:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnage banking RIP  (Read 29803 times)
Newcastle Dave

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:52:37 pm »

I have seen photos on other sites that shows the banking on the outside of Arnage has gone. Removed. It is no more.

There is a roundabout being installed which will be sited to the south of the Arnage cross roads junction. I have seen a diagram that shows the road leaving after Indianapolis and taking a southern route across the campsite/parking area to the new roundabout. The circuit remains as is.

I'm feeling very sad. We have lost a great viewing location.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:08:39 pm »

Sad news indeed.  I watched the support races down there this year and was reminded why it was worth making the journey down there. 
Any links to the pictures?

Dx
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:10:56 pm by Doris » Logged

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Newcastle Dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:26 pm »

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=25&t=1554394&mid=0&nmt=Changes+at+Arnage+%2D+Any+news+Lowdrag%3F

post 130:       http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144515&page=9

After the works are complete lets hope there will still be somewhere left to view from at Arnage.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:07:18 pm »

What a utter cluster f**k that is  Angry

I always go to Arnage for the end of the race as I can carry on and get to the house easy but thats a utter farce.

I did see something in the local paper the other month on this to be honest but I couldnt translate it enough to figure it out  Cry
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:15:16 pm by Kev_mk3 » Logged

Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:53 am »

No banking to return Sad

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:28 am »

This is very odd, I was under the impression, obviously mistaken, that the new road would bypass both Arnage and Indianapolis corners, which would make some sense and you could still retain the banking. The only reason I can think of that this is being done is to improve safety the rest of the year at a dangerous crossroads, presumably a small roundabout at the present crossroads would not be possible because of race requirements. I've also seen idiots race week going round Arnage as though the road from the left was closed on the run up to the race.
Although I believe the ACO would like to encourage spectators to stay in the main complex, and have been pushing that for several years, I would be surprised if there was be no viewing points at Arnage.
Look on the positive side, the new banking a Tetre Rouge is a huge improvement and I hope to eventually see similar at Arnage and if it included banking to be able to see the approach to Indianapolis then it would be a major plus.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:45:28 am by Barry » Logged
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:29 pm »

Noooooooo. My favourite place gone.. What the f&*k are they playing at.

As for Tetre Rouge, I think the improvement sanitised the viewing. The approach against the fence on the inside in the trees used to be a great place and one of the places you could get quite close to the cars. It is getting to the stage where I may go to enjoy the week with friends and watch it on the TV     Huh Cry Angry
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »

When you look at the camping areas for 2016, Arnage is still there (although the photos show a different story). Has anyone got camping tickets for it?
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 03:14:06 am »

Has anyone got camping tickets for it?
Yup. Up to 45 euros for 2016. Seems they pretty much sold out on 3rd so unclear whether it is smaller, bigger or more popular.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 09:03:19 am »

Nooooooo.......that was the last bit of decent, unaltered track and viewing area left since I started going. And my favourite place too, with at least one visit to it every year - an awesome place at dusk and very atmospheric.

It also retained all of the key non-corporate aspects of Le Mans - wonky steps up steep grass banking, empty beer bottles, litter, pissed/sleeping spectators and close up to the racing. 

I can only hope that reproviding a spectator area is part of the alterations........

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 10:37:15 am »

I've read something about these roadworks some time ago on a French website.  There should be a viewing zone (banking or not ?) left after the completion of the new road and they were talking about the possibility to create a viewing area at the approach to Indianapolis.  Don't know what's left of those intentions, will try to look it up again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:51:18 am by Dottore » Logged

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:28:13 pm »

....As for Tetre Rouge, I think the improvement sanitised the viewing....
This is the problem, isn't it.  Instead of earth banks, held together by odd bits of concrete, which have moved/disappeared, you get a level concrete slab with a handrail 20 yards further back.  Just like the road.  It just needed a bit more run off area, with a link road at the back, not a bypass and a roundabout.  And who's paying for this.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 11:08:32 pm »

Has anyone got camping tickets for it?
Yup. Up to 45 euros for 2016. Seems they pretty much sold out on 3rd so unclear whether it is smaller, bigger or more popular.

According to someone who lives nearby the campsite has been extended and some of the banking remains.  I have friends who camp down there and when they booked for 2016 (over the phone) the ACO didn't say anything about the changes.  I guess all will become clear in June...

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Newcastle Dave

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

The photo shows the banking remaining towards Indianapolis. As you say the extent of our loss will be revealed in June
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »

As far as I can see the photos of ground works on PistonHeads are entirely consistent with the map posted by Kev_mk3 above.

So to totally confuse things (or more likely confirm lack of general awareness as to what is actually happening) my contact was told today by the ACO
  • A roundabout is going to be built instead of the intersection and at the same place . So the road will still be the same than before . There wouldn't be a new road built across the camp site . The "Virage d'Arnage" will probably be modified , as it happened at Mulsanne when they built the roundabout a few years ago.
  • A new spectator's bank is going to be built and extended until Indianapolis.
  • The Arnage Camp Site will be enlarged toward Indianapolis (but the trees won't be all brought down).
As per general consensus we will see come June!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: