Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 10:55:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash Cam  (Read 14491 times)
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:15:26 pm »

Because of the high mileage I do and the high volume of numpties on the roads I use a forward facing dash cam recording video on a continuous loop.
I understand that the use of radar detectors in France is illegal but does anyone know what the French law is regarding these cameras?

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:06:18 pm »

Steve those things are for sale in Leclerc auto so must be legal i guess.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 02:31:28 am »

Steve those things are for sale in Leclerc auto so must be legal i guess.

There are numerous places here in the States that the use of a radar detector is not legal, however the purchase and ownership thereof is legal....

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

Just had a look at a number of articles on t'internet and the consensus is that they're legal in France.

However illegal in Austria and apparently it's frowned upon in Germany if you post up dash cam footage due to violation of personal privacy.  In fact you can be fined in Bavaria for such matters up to a max of 300,000 euros!

Take a look at the following article, your Lordship: -

https://www.rt.com/news/194236-germany-dashcam-video-fine/

Crouch..........bind..........set
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:16:51 pm »

Lofty / Landman
Thank you for your advice. If they are good enough for Leclerc that'll do for me.
I've decided to avoid Austria, Germany and Bavaria en route to LM this year.

Steve

landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:18:38 pm »

Lofty / Landman
Thank you for your advice. If they are good enough for Leclerc that'll do for me.
I've decided to avoid Austria, Germany and Bavaria en route to LM this year.

Steve

...and Luxembourg.

aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:59:39 am »

Lord,

I'm intrigued by dash cams.  Have you found it of benefit?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:36 am »

Aricus
I've been looking at them for some time and am pleased to report that hitherto I have had no reason to download the content of the memory disc as evidence!
It's a bit of insurance against spurious claims and idiotic driving standards.
These things are available from about £60 to £200 but I picked mine up at an Esso forecourt for £19.99 including a memory card which is worth £20 alone and, if I ditch the recorder the card will fit in other devices I have anyway.
So, I'm using it as a trial unit which I may upgrade later.

Steve

aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 10:15:31 am »

Wow, that was cheap, and I bet the quality is good enough?

I don't do big miles these days, but have always wondered about them, especially as the motoring I do is at weekends when the standard drops dramatically.

(When I did big business miles, I did witness a few incidents, including two cars somersaulting, and a transit drive off the M1 motorway and up the backing before taking a tumble).

I have considered a helmet cam for cycling, and an in-car for track days, but I'm not sure that you'd spend your winder nights watching these whilst there's watch paint dry instead.  Evil

Aricus

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:14:44 pm by aricus654 » Logged

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:35 am »

I have an Android app which I can use but I rarely do. There's a few of them, none as good as a dedicated device but they are free, and I have a screen mount for the phone for when in use as a satnav. I missed one spectacular incident when on my way down the M6 in the outside lane a couple of years back - an artic turned 180 degrees right across the motorway in front of me, lucky I was concentrating!! It would have been good footage but I didn't have the cam on...
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »

I think I need a rear facing camera because I see lots of accidents happening in the rear view mirror.

Grin  Grin  Grin

BTW - last year my son Tristan (FezBoy) was in BBC's Chinese School.  (I hope you didn't see this pile of  misleading rubbish).  The film crew asked me if I would put a camera in my car. In my nievety, I thought that they wanted it pointing out to get footage of my "spirited" driving.  My wife told me that they wanted to film us talking on the way to school, at which point I declined.

Aricus
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:28:44 pm by aricus654 » Logged

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 12:27:11 pm »

I bought a pretty decent one 14 months ago after some yoof slid into me on a single-track country road (I was stationary at the time).  "Your word against mine, guv - you ain't got no witnesses".  Cost me £400.

I did quite an exhaustive analysis of what's out there and what facilities are available (such as parking sensor, full 1080 HD, larger memory card), and bought one which gives me everything I wanted for £130.

Had a couple of near misses which were interesting to watch after the event, and also caught out the mechanic at my local Audi place doing 43mph in a 30 area.

You don't have to do a big mileage to warrant one - the prang I had was less than 2 miles away!!

Del

PS.  You can get systems with  two cameras for fore and aft recording.  I also know of one 'enthusiast' who also had one each side of his vehicle!!

D

Team Delboy Racing
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 08:20:54 pm »

Wow, that was cheap, and I bet the quality is good enough?

I don't do big miles these days, but have always wondered about them, especially as the motoring I do is at weekends when the standard drops dramatically.

(When I did big business miles, I did witness a few incidents, including two cars somersaulting, and a transit drive off the M1 motorway and up the backing before taking a tumble).

I have considered a helmet cam for cycling, and an in-car for track days, but I'm not sure that you'd spend your winder nights watching these whilst there's watch paint dry instead.  Evil

Aricus

Aricus i tried a helmet cam once. I think i'll leave it at that before i upset someone!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:09:23 pm by lofty » Logged

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 10:38:07 am »

If anyone is interested then Which Magazine's "BestBuys" are the Nextbase In-Car Cam 512G Ultra and the Nextbase In-Car Cam 402G Professional.

There are quite a few models on their "Don't Buy" list and they are not all cheap either, but that said the two models with the lowest score retail at £18 and £39.

Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 12:48:54 pm »

I think I've been ripped off at £19.99 then.......

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: