Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 11:09:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash Cam  (Read 14343 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 04:05:40 pm »

If anyone is interested then Which Magazine's "BestBuys" are the Nextbase In-Car Cam 512G Ultra and the Nextbase In-Car Cam 402G Professional.

I've got a Nextbase 402G in my daily hack.  Very good quality recordings and it's on all the time it has power.

Steve East Anglian cobras

JerryT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 11:49:35 am »

Unfortunately, almost a necessity in today's world. I got hit a couple of years ago and the driver failed to stop. Fortunately it was only minor but the dash cam caught the incident showing the van that did in full company livery. One mention of I have the video evidence and everyone falls over themselves to sort the matter out.

I have also seen another incident of a driver claiming that the car following had run into the back of them. The dash cam footage clearly showed that he had been stationary and never touched the car in front. Once she knew she was on video she became very abusive, got in her car and drove. The driver then handed this footage over to the police, where after a little investigation it was discovered she was involved in a cash for crash scam.

Should we have these then the answer is no. However, some of the low life in today's society mean we have  no choice but to have them, and I've had mine for three years. Also the police actively encourage users to now provide dash cam footage of poor driving/incidents.
MIKE C (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran

How f---ing fast was That!!! Time for a Low Flyer!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »

We all use them in our family. They have come in useful, my son was pulled by police who said he was driving to fast and erratically, he said he wasn't, and asked the policeman would he like to take a look at the footage on the camera to prove it. The policeman left. I also drive a lot of miles and the standard of driving especially in London is bad and I don't want a dispute with someone who all of a sudden can't speak English, it cost a mate of mine a fortune when he shunted as they could not prove who was driving the other car. He has one now.!!!!
  One the original topic I used mine in France last year{just unplug it if you feel the need for speed or it can be used against you)

Roll on June and the lush grass of BN!!!
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 10:08:51 pm »

My excellent value dash cam gave up the ghost today after two weeks. Still, I can still use the sd card for something else!
Right chaps, what are your recommendations for a replacement?

I tested negative for patience.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 11:51:56 am »

Hi Steve

I did a lot of investigation before buying mine 14 months ago.  The best place to get a lot of info and comparison is dashcamtalk.com.  I eventually settled on the Panorama G (now the Street Guardian SGZC12SG), because it provided all the facilities I wanted, is one of the few out there which can handle a decent-sized memory card (most are max 32gb), and I got to speak to the developer and the distributors (Jokiin, and Jon and Nico on DCT), all of whom were very helpful.  One of the most important properties is HD recording.  When you are at a closing velocity of >60mph, number plates are very difficult to read, and whilst there are occasions that recordings are a bit dodgy even  for the 'G' (low light conditions etc), it is one of the best, especially the Mk 2 version now available.  Once you decide on full HD, then a larger memory card is almost mandatory, as a 32gb card gives you less than 4 hours recording.

Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:50 pm »

That's very helpful, thanks Del.

steve

aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 12:44:49 am »

Hi!

What about power? Do they have rechargeable batteries or do they need plumbed in?

I'm surprised that no manufacturers have added them as option, or maybe they do and I just don't know about them.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 07:27:54 am »

I don't think it will be long before manufacturers start offering "plumbed-in" versions.

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:31 am »

I don't think it will be long before manufacturers start offering "plumbed-in" versions.

I think your right Steve and then next question is how long before all cars have black boxes in them?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »

Hi!

What about power? Do they have rechargeable batteries or do they need plumbed in?

I'm surprised that no manufacturers have added them as option, or maybe they do and I just don't know about them.

Aricus

Some have batteries.  The trouble with batteries is that these devices have to operate in a very wide temperature range, and batteries are not good at that.

The one I went for has a capacitor which holds enough power to write the last block of data away to the memory card should the supply fail, for whatever reason.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:18 am »

Hi!
Aricus

Hi Aricus,
             Between you , me and Google.. we know frikin everything  Grin
some of the Hybrids use Capacitors which are a similar, in some ways, to rechargeable batteries.
It just Electrickery to me  Grin But I like to watch  angel (wait for it)
Phil
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 04:37:08 pm »

One thing that has always confused me with these cams is -

Do I have to take the memory card out each day to wipe it or can you make it overwrite old data as I can see me forgetting to do it. I am awaiting a influx of morons putting them in the middle of the windscreen like they do sat nav's at the moment.

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 06:12:12 pm »

I have an app which records your journeys and you can configure how many minutes it records for (I think) and how many old recordings it saves. I never use it though.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 02:47:52 pm »

One thing that has always confused me with these cams is -

Do I have to take the memory card out each day to wipe it or can you make it overwrite old data as I can see me forgetting to do it. I am awaiting a influx of morons putting them in the middle of the windscreen like they do sat nav's at the moment.

They automatically overwrite the oldest file once the card is full - this is obviously a constant process.  A recordable segment is usually a given time span and can be set on the device.  Mine is set to 3 mins  Any segment can be marked as an 'Event' (simply by pressing a button on mine), in which case it is transferred to a different folder on the card and will not be overwritten.  Most devices are fitted with a sensor which detects a prang - in which case the previous 30 seconds (or so) of recording plus the following 30 seconds are also automatically written as an 'Event' and will not be overwritten.  It is only these files in the 'Event' folder which have to be manually deleted - on mine this can be done on the device itself or on a PC.

And for Kev's edification, I'll take myself out of the 'moron' classification - you can see the camera tucked behind the mirror, and the satnav in the bottom left corner of the photo.

Del

* P1000775-small.jpg (65.96 KB, 500x667 - viewed 327 times.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:51:00 pm by DelBoy » Logged

Team Delboy Racing
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:25 pm »

My parents gave me a DrivePro 220 made by Transcend for Christmas.  No idea why they gave it to me but never mind.  It plugs in tot he cigarette lighter and starts recording as soon the cigarette lighter is made live by starting the car.

As someone else said it records in 3 minutes segments  and overwrites when full.  If the camera is jolted it will go in to emergency mode and save to a different area that is not overridden.  It will also go in to this mode if it is jolted whilst off and turn on and start recording.

In a remarkably annoying feature it reads the white lines on the road and bleeps at you if it thinks you are too far to the left or right, it also bleeps if it thinks you are too close to the car in front, and I think it may also read speed limit signs and complain about that too, however obviously I never speed so wouldnt know this
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: