Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 11:53:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paging Steve Pyro  (Read 9057 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:47 am »

After years of planning, pondering and peeing about, I have finally joined the club.....

I'm going into the shed, I may be some time!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »

After years of planning, pondering and peeing about, I have finally joined the club.....

I'm going into the shed, I may be some time!

Well would you look at that.  What a beauty Si. 289 with hardtop. 

You going for a 289 FIA style build? A Hawk?  302 with Toploader?
We demand more info and pics  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:44 am »

I thought you would like it Steve.  Grin

It's been a project I have been mulling over for years, being a car I loved right back as far as I can remember.
Gerry Hawkridge supplied the chassis and shell, but these have already been modified to make it a little more authentic. It's always going to be a glass replica, but with a little attention to detail it should look pretty accurate. I'm four months in to the build now and have done the chassis and body mods. I'm going for a period '64 FIA look. I'm using as many used, original parts as possible, aiming for it to look 50 years old rather than box fresh.

I'm hoping it turns out like this....

And here with the roof fitted...

Engine is a trick 351 Windsor, with a cam that gives the same firing order as a 289 for that nice loud n lumpy idle. It will be running AFR alloy heads, roller cam, forged pistons and quad 48IDF Webbers. Trans will be a top loader as per original and I have an E-type rear end to keep it off the ground at the back.

Should have bodywork done by summer, wiring and plumbing being next on the list. Aim is to have it ready for LM Classic next year.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:36:53 pm »

Hi Lazy B'stard,
                      Nice. That should keep you busy for a while Smiley
Do you know why your engine is called a Windsor?
Because it was first produced  by Ford in their Windsor Ontario engine plant. Grin
Keep posting pictures of your progress.

Canada Phil
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:55:31 pm »

Good effort.

Getting the hardtop to fit is a bit of a pig apparently, but then the whole thing is a challenge Wink

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:28 am »

Good effort.

Getting the hardtop to fit is a bit of a pig apparently, but then the whole thing is a challenge Wink

It doesn't look too bad actually. The top follows the contours of the body very closely and although I have yet to fit the screen, the ply mock-up I have made of the screen (so I can make the roll cage) fits ok too along the front edge. I have to say that so far it's pretty much easy going so far. The quality if the chassis and body is superb.

Replaced the glass fibre transmission tunnel with aluminium this weekend. Scratch built with just a set of tin snips and a small sheet metal folder. Interior will be painted satin black when finished.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:44 pm »

Hawk have pretty much dominated the 289 replica market for years and have refined their product with lots of development.
There's a couple of early Hawk 289s around here that run on MGB suspension as per his original design.  His later cars have gone with Jaguar suspension but he's tried to retain the 3" tube chassis as per the original.

Good choice with the 48IDFs.  Will be fun to set up.  Much better than a Holley in a turkey pan like the 427 copies.
Lots of 289 info here - http://www.the289register.com/ or there's the UK Cobra Replica Club.

From the look of that last photo, am I right in guessing you are building it as LHD?
Keep us posted.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:52 pm »

Yea Steve, I'm  building it LHD. The original 289 FIAs were all left hookers (HEM6 was RHD I think but not a factory car??) and besides, it will spend quite a bit of its life overseas (plus I uses that retirement to the Dolomites gets ever closer) Cheesy

@Phil, I don't suppose you have any Windsors kicking around at the end of the garden?

Dick Dasterdly was right
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »

Looks like it will be a beauty LB.  The Cobra's are such iconic machines, including the replica's.  Images of Dan Gurney, and Dave McDonald power sliding them around Riverside immediately spring to mind.
Here's a nice shot of Dan at the '64 Targa, from the Klemantaski Collection.
Fax

* 64D3C-8.jpg (123.43 KB, 432x291 - viewed 325 times.)
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:15:06 pm »

Looks like it will be a beauty LB.  The Cobra's are such iconic machines, including the replica's.  Images of Dan Gurney, and Dave McDonald power sliding them around Riverside immediately spring to mind.
Fax

Are they different size wheels & tyres or is it an illusion?

Your car is wicked Si you are going to have a blast in that, quite envious, though I think you are just trying to outdo my boat Smiley
Nothing wrong with being a left handed mongrel, I am a right handed thoroughbred, but you probably realised that Smiley

>Martini...LB
Hunter Gatherer
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:19:31 pm by Martini...LB » Logged

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:28:09 am »

Agreed. it does look they are different sizes.  I found this page on the TKC website, from Mosport in 1964 and again the front and rear tires & wheels appear different sizes.
http://www.klemcoll.com/image/64W1C-22Acp.aspx
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:55 am »

Yea Steve, I'm  building it LHD. The original 289 FIAs were all left hookers (HEM6 was RHD I think but not a factory car??) and besides, it will spend quite a bit of its life overseas (plus I uses that retirement to the Dolomites gets ever closer) Cheesy

@Phil, I don't suppose you have any Windsors kicking around at the end of the garden?

Hi Lazy B'stard,
                      No but there are numerous engine builders that offer crate motors. Would you like me to find some names? Might be better $$ exchange than US.
Phil
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »

Looks like it will be a beauty LB.  The Cobra's are such iconic machines, including the replica's.  Images of Dan Gurney, and Dave McDonald power sliding them around Riverside immediately spring to mind.
Fax

Your car is wicked Si you are going to have a blast in that, quite envious, though I think you are just trying to outdo my boat Smiley
Nothing wrong with being a left handed mongrel, I am a right handed thoroughbred, but you probably realised that Smiley

>Martini...LB
Hunter Gatherer

I is not dissing your boat bruv, someone told me you have sunk your retirement millions into a rather splendid Riva Aquarama Super Cheesy

Wheels and tyres are indeed different sizes, although both on 15" diameter. The old blue streaks in that photo had a strange arcane sizing system that only makes sense to racers. The modern equivelent are 215/65R15 (for the racers, 225/60R15 for street) and either 275/50R15 or whopping 295/50R15 rears on 9.5" rims. Not many options in those sizes. Our yank friends go for Goodyear Billboards which are cross ply, look cool as but handle like sh*t on anything that is not race track smooth. Over here we have Avon CR36 radials which are a road legal comp tyre. Loads of grip but won't last two minutes when 'pressing on' over large distances.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 08:14:33 pm »

Hi Lazy B'stard,
                      No but there are numerous engine builders that offer crate motors. Would you like me to find some names? Might be better $$ exchange than US.
Phil

Thanks for the offer Phil, but my OCD would not allow a crate motor to go in. I have seen some pretty ropey workmanship in crate motors over the years. I may take you up on part supply though if I may.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 12:08:19 am »

[/quote]

>Martini...LB
Hunter Gatherer
[/quote]

I is not dissing your boat bruv, someone told me you have sunk your retirement millions into a rather splendid Riva Aquarama Super Cheesy

Wheels and tyres are indeed different sizes, although both on 15" diameter.
[/quote]

My plan is the millions will not be touched, (who told you about them?) could not stand to break up all those gorgeous zero's, living on an Offshore Centre (no NOT a Tax Haven) one learns to appreciate using someone else's money or so the wife says when I use hers Smiley

However, I would really like to have a Riva, on the day when fishing is out of the question, as they are absolutely beeeeeutiful, something I have always admired.

With regard to the tyres, I grew up with square tyres on my Zundapp 49cc, so do not try telling me about tyres...

>Martini...LB
Hunter Gatherer

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: