Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 02:07:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a finish for Aston Martin  (Read 10384 times)
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:15:59 pm »

Grin Absolutely loved watching that battle with the corvette at the end. Kinda annoyed that stinking Porsche had the speed to catch up and take the overall win too but I'd happily watch nothing but GTE's for 24 hours.

On a side note,for what I seen,Eurosport's done a good job of covering it this year and some great new camera angles.

They have lumps of what round the back???
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »

I managed to catch the last hour or so just by chance - brilliant stuff.  Goes to show once again that it isnt over till its over!!

Looked an absolute scorcher - safe journey home everyone.

I cant believe I didnt realise it was on this weekend - how times have changed since the days of the 50 week countdown....

F
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:14:34 pm »

I sat here really quite envious of those of you down there. You had a  superb week of weather then a race like that to cap it all off.

As usual, I watched loads more racing than I ever do when I'm there. Brilliant end to a superb race.

Take care on the way home!!

PS anyone in Nurburgring for the 6h in July? I am likely to be
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:43:37 pm »

It was a very eventful weekend.  Another tragic year for Toyota.  I was sitting in Dunlop and watched the first car go out, then saw the accident with the second and of course that was out inside within 30 mins.  If I were them I would have packed it in by now.

And then the Corvette Aston rivalry!  Right in the last few minutes!!!  The ACO really nailed the BoP this year, and no sandbagging Fords either!!  I heard that for much of the race there was 4 or 5 manufacturers on the lead lap.

In my book, it was the Vette that should have won.  I suspect that the Aston took it out in the accident sat Arnage.  I hope we find out the truth.

I only decided to attend last weekend, but I'm glad I did and as I write this, I'm sitting sun soaked and happy on the beach at Dieppe watching a wonderful sunset, and reflecting on another epic weekend.

Ian

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
NorwayNick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »

i think you must have had dust on your glasses, the vette was done for even with the contact at arnage, its tires had gone off and it was never going to hold out too the end.
its also an injustice to all the gt cars it was not just the finish they raced like that from the moment the start flag dropped, nothing but full gas for 24hours in scortching temps. Amazing job buy all the manufacturers
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:00:39 am »

Nick,

You are right of course, the GTE cars were driving like that all the time.

I suspect that you are also right about the Vette tyres going off, but it also looked like a heroic lunge by the Aton at Arnage.  I would like to see it again but from memory I didn't think it was going to stick, and it didn't.

But did the clash cause the Vette's damage?  possibly - but only the telemetry will provide the truth.

That it was so close after 24 hours says so much about both these teams.  Not for the first time the GTE cars provided the best racing.  I guess it's just that the Aston/Vette rivalry has a track record like few others.

I confess, I have a soft spot for the Vette.

Ian

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:32:26 am »

....and the Vettes sound so damn good. Evil Evil Evil Evil
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:49:17 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6SYe85uu8
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:01:28 pm by Stu » Logged
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »

Thanks for that Stu - I listened to the end of the race on the radio parked up in a works entrance just off the ring road...

...well you see since I was carrying some of the bulkier the kit for some of our group, and I had a little radiator leak and it would probably be over and hour in the stop start traffic and that heat just to get out the circuit, I decided to leave at 12 o'clock, drive straight out and listen to the end of the race from North of Le Mans as I know my Land Rover would have overheated and done an(other) impression of a kettle.

So I drove round and found a decent radio signal in the shade, bonnet up, hi viz jacket on (later I added a 5l water bottle on the wing for effect), made a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy.

And when the police turned up to see if I was all right? Once they found out what I was doing they just told me to carry on!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:03:48 pm by Landy_Jon » Logged
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »

Yes the last hour of the battle was awsome and a small piece of Aston Martin racing will forever be in our pub.

* DSCF0474.JPG (43.85 KB, 330x248 - viewed 489 times.)

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:23:45 am »

Yes the last hour of the battle was awsome and a small piece of Aston Martin racing will forever be in our pub.

But what is it?

Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 06:43:12 am »

But what is it?

Headlamp cover from the 97 car?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 04:34:35 pm »

Nice work Sir, missed you this year!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:37 pm »

The Corvette Aston rivalry all weekend was brilliant

cja

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:45:14 pm »

The GTE's were simply stunning.............fantastic racing, from the off.

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: