Club Arnage
April 17, 2024, 12:33:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Porsche 2018?  (Read 5677 times)
lynxd67

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:19:49 pm »

The front page of the local paper today gave the headlines, page 3 gave the details. It would seem likely that,although it has not been confirmed, Porsche will not be contesting the WEC next year but rather going down the electric route. The article stated that instead of spending €200 million a year it will cost but one tenth of that. A perfect reason, given the state of VW's finances after the emissions scandal and the fact that their share price has halved. Costs must be cut. I'm not saying that this is confirmed, just that the article stated that Porsche have refused to confirm or deny, which to me is a telling sign. The article goes on to say "how sad" Toyota are. More anon.
cja

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:55 pm »

Unfortunately, I fear this will prove to be the case  Sad

Was talking with a VAG Marketing guy recently and he made comments like "you'll never see those budgets again" although at the same time saying "we need to be seen out there".
The electric route thing fits in with comments like those....... Undecided

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:07 pm »

Does the WEC & LM truly need the big bucks factory teams, other than for marketing activation?

I'd happily see Toyota v a reasonable bunch of garagistes, remember for much of the early Audi seasons that's how it was, although the Audis often ran under the guise of so called private teams. Sure Toyota will probably win everything, but if they slip up then giant killing is very much on the cards, as it was nearly this year, and would certainly have been if there had been 3 or 4 good privateers,  I wonder if Rebellion were thinking they should have stuck with the R-One for one more season!

I guess part of the problem for the factory teams is that their cars are now far too complicated and expensive for a private team to run, if they could defray the costs through selling or leasing some on then it would be more likely they would stay around I reckon.

I get that the future is with alternative fuels and hybrids, and LM has often been a great proving ground, it's just the costs have gotten way out of hand, and it's not just the racing budget,  but the marketing one too, it wasn't till they had gone that everyone realised how big a part of LM Audi had become.

Time will tell what happens, but the factories have always come and gone in all forms of motorsport.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:25:42 pm »

Porsche perhaps ready to pack in WEC due to impending emissions scandal? Wait for it.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:41 pm »

As for the electric route, I don't know if anyone saw the Formula E in New York recently.  There seemed to be about 50 spectators.  This may be because its the US, but with known name drivers and lots of money being thrown at this, I suspect the return is worse that WEC, and its boring.

It must be a lot cheaper though, and I think that's where the cookie crumbles, and its PC  Roll Eyes

And I see that Mercedes are quitting the DTM to go electric  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:33:31 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:43 pm »

It must be a lot cheaper though, and I think that's where the cookie crumbles, and its PC  Roll Eyes

And I see that Mercedes are quitting the DTM to go electric  Shocked
Where for art thou Klaatu and Gort. Come save us from this plight... Sad

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 11:18:24 pm »

Speaking as one who has just gone hybrid I have to admit that I tend to spend more time conserving fuel (tax) than tooling around the highways and the byways.
However.....
I'd love to see a LM grid full of privateers in simpler cars. LMP 3's were awesome at Silverstone in May, and a return to a field full of private GTs would be most welcome.
The racing this year was fantastic but I'm a bit fed up with the "Premier League" factory teams.
There are many on this forum better informed than I but I would be happier watching cars like Lister, Panoz, De Tomaso, Morgan, etc. While we're at it lets see a couple of Blower Bentleys, the odd Norma and a brace of Pescarolas for local interest.

Can we also have a decent tartiflette stall and the return of Le Village to the dust bowl we all grew to love? Oh, and before I forget, a return of the strippers on the funfair and the vague smell of haddock!

Please...

Lord Old Fart

I tested negative for patience.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:48 pm »

With you on all your points your lordship. NSX please.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:52 pm »

Judging by the recent announcements from Paris and today, London, it looks like diesel (particularly or should I say particulately) and petrol cars are to be excluded from cities. Setting aside the arguments that buses, taxis and gridlocked traffic make pollution worse we are having to accept that change must happen.

Hello electric and hydrogen cell cars.

For the purposes of brevity I'm ignoring the arguments about how clean the power stations are that make the electricity.

My concern, however, is that if all car manufacturers are forced to abandon the internal combustion engine are they really going to be interested in motor sport? Will our favourite sport be solely classic car racing in the future as fewer new cars are produced with internal combustion engines?

Could, indeed, this be the eventual death knell for Le Mans as we know it?

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:46:46 am »

Motorsport will continue I've no doubt of that, it's just that the power source will change.

I bet the horse racing fraternity were having the same discussions a hundred or so years ago when the motor car first appeared.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:00 am »

Surely not

* hqdefault.jpg (12.87 KB, 480x360 - viewed 385 times.)

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 03:29:49 pm »

Paddock is buzzin' about it in Spa right now.
Several websites already writing about the decision to leave WEC at the end of the season being taken by Porsche.  Official announcement to follow "by the end of this week" (i.e. tomorrow).

i'm afraid it's over and done with Porsche. Whether Toyota will continue remains the big question now. 
Let's hope Ginatta & SMP Racing will get their LMP1-L cars on the grid next year ... (not really counting on Perrin, it's awefully quiet down there).

geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:48 pm »

I guess the phone line between the ACO and Peugeot will be red hot!

Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:38 pm »

Has LMP1 caught F1 disease?
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »

The cost of building 22'000 cars that cheat means you can't play anymore.

The cost of building 22,000 cars that cheat the rules means Porsche can't play anymore.  Not the end but A new begining.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: