Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 10:29:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French supermarketry  (Read 16523 times)
Liszt
CA Veteran

Beer is a legitimate breakfast

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2003, 02:07:51 pm »

Every year I have to guide someone into Le Mans to fin Carrefour.  For the past 5 years, I have found it by chance, due to being drunk as a skunk at every venture.  Is there a supermarché in Arnage, and is it better/ worse, easier to find/ a nightmare to get to?

It interferes with my drinking, sitting in a traffic jam trying to get into/out of Carrefour
rory
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 02:31:52 pm »

yup.  it's small but perfectly formed.  come over the railway bridge from the circuit (where that crossroads is that has a good smash up every year despite 35 gendarmes standing there picking their noses and polishing their weapons).  first left is the station, take the second left and it's 200 yds on your right.  leave some ice at the fish counter though.  and watch out for locals insisting on priorite a droit whenever they see a british plate.
Liszt
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 03:39:58 pm »

ahha
Ta muchley
Alfa Dave
CA Veteran

Half Fast Racing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 05:06:04 pm »

As I recall it is a fairly new Super U with reasonable parking room and more on the local side streets.

The main supermarche used to be right in the middle of Arnage across from the two most popular cafe's - parking was a bit of a nightmare - it's a bank now I think.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 06:41:27 pm »

Yeah, that old supermarche in Arnage was useful. First came across it whilst bladdered during the '88 event and took two years to find it again! When I did, I was amazed at the videos available on the shelf; the covers left nothing to the imagination! The deli counter left something to be desired though (can't beleive I'm getting all dewy-eyed about some crummy little store!)

Forgot about the Super U there now. Apart from the obligatory scrum that is Carrefour, the old Stoc (now Champion) at Mulsanne Corner is rather handy (and usually jolly quiet too .. plenty of clear aisles for trolley racing!)

This time in 4 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 10:51:32 pm »

Ok, there's still a supermarket at Mulsanne...

... but the nearest from the general entrance is the Champion supermarket in Le Mans entrance.

You leave the track and drive to the city centre by the road ( Avenue du Docteur Jean Mac) on the left of the Expo center. You drive straight and 1 kms after you've got a Champion supermarket on your left.

For all of those who would like fresh food or buy ice, there's a market during the saturday morning just on the other side of the road.

For those you are afraid to such a complicate way, there's the "Marche Plus" 2 kms from the general entrance. Just drive into the Rue de Laigné, the supermarket is 2 kms on your left, just it's a little tinier and after you're just 500 meters from the Carrefour.

This year is opening a GPS (Gilles Positioning System) for everyone who could be lost in all the little roads. Just have a phone call and you'll arrive at destination by the simpliest way (just ask Kpy for PQ !!!)

Gilles

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Liszt
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 01:40:54 pm »

Excellent!

Although I dont know how much fun it will be compared to:
"I am sure it is just down here"
"I can see the sign but not the enterance"
"excuse moi, Monsewer, oo est le Carrefour?"
French Reply
"Nope didn't understand a word of that, lets keep driving aimlessly in circles"
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 01:58:02 pm »

For simple direction to Carrefour, its up the road, on the same roadf rom the Mulsanne straight. Head on little road that runs past Houx and Houx Annexe. Before you go under the brigde at The Bar Tetre Rouge, go right up slip road and at top turn left (Mulsanne Staight as it exits Tetre Rouge) and follow road. Carrefour is on the righthand side. With- in easy walking distance of Houx annexe and Tetre Rouge. Obviously a bit more complicated when the road is closed but you should'nt be shopping then anyway. Hope this is of some help.

Stu
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 09:45:26 pm »

Smokester,
Why don't you suggest posting a map on the site with the supermarkets marked on?
There are a few other things could also be indicated..
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 09:58:31 pm »

Great idea H, anyone got a map?

Actually I have a pretty good one but I don't think it will scan v well, I'll give it a go.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 10:16:44 pm »

Dave had a great map on the site at one point, just check if it's still there......

Yep, here it is: http://www.clubarnage.com/images/lmcolour1.jpg .. should prove a good starting point. Useful to print out and take with anyway to try and negotiate the "during race" one way bits.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 10:34:09 pm »

I've got that map in my LM folder! I wondered where I'd got it...

I've asked Gilles if he has the capability and time to annotate it with useful places for us, if so we should be able to load it up here for all to use.

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 10:39:14 pm »

I've asked Gilles if he has the capability and time to annotate it with useful places for us, if so we should be able to load it up here for all to use.

Excellent idea! Maybe we could all chip in with bits. Can you imagine: this is where I fell over bladdered and scuffed my nose and stuff like that? OK maybe not then!!!  Wink
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 11:04:08 pm »

I've got that map in my LM folder! I wondered where I'd got it...

Yes Smokie I've time (because unemployed at this time, any offer Huh??)  and maybe (ask KPy to confirm) I have the capability...

... so what do you need on the map? just the supermarkets ?

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2003, 11:19:06 pm »

Sensible suggestions only please lads...I've suggested Gilles uses different colour blobs for different things, but we don't want to clutter the map too much. There seem to be regular requests for

Supermarkets
Butchers (merguese ?? sausages)
Swimming pools

I suppose a garage/mechanic or two might be useful

Any other ideas?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: