Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 04:16:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The generosity of the ACO  (Read 3613 times)
lynxd67

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:05:50 am »

For years the ACO have been having problems getting marshals to turn up for the Classic every other year and they really upset the apple cart in 2016 by having the marshals on post from Saturday morning right through to the end of racing on Sunday. Many have vowed never to return, and I can't blame them in the slightest. To put things in perspective, there are about 1,200 marshals for the 24 Hours and 500 for the Classic, so way understaffed before and heaven knows how many this year. So I give you the text of the wondrous offer now being made by the ACO to try and get them to turn up. Are you sitting comfortably?

First of all, I would like to come back to the edition of 2016. Obviously, we made a mistake and I would really like to apologize for that. The ACO and Peter Auto (it is important to remember that Le Mans Classic is a joint organization ACO/Peter at 50% each) had jointly committed to adjust your time slots by setting up a specific organization for activities outside official races, and then we did not stand by this commitment. During the various parades and additional activities, the race direction called on the Marshall posts to officiate, and thus making the timetables at the Le Mans Classic too busy for you. We would sincerely like to make our mea culpa and reassure you that we rapidly realized our mistake, however too late to correct it in 2016.

Aware of this problem, but also, in general terms, of the necessity to make Le Mans Classic more attractive for you, I am pleased to confirm the new disposals that will be effective for Le Mans Classic 2018:
Timetable: you will find with this mail the projected timetable. This year a specific organization will be set up for all the parade phases and other non-sporting activities. YOU WILL NOT BE CALLED ON. Therefore you will have new rest slots at your disposal. (See details in enclosed timetable). We have clearly defined the organization to this purpose, and I hereby promise that the inconvenience of 2016 will not be repeated.
Endowment: in addition to the usual endowment, each Marshall officiating this year will receive:
A superb technical jacket with the logo Le Mans Classic.
A Carrefour gift card with the logo Le Mans Classic worth € 15.
Marshalls’ Trophy Points. It has been decided to allocated specific points in order to reward your presence:
15 points for the day of Friday
20 points for the weekend
Le Mans Classic is from now on eligible for obligatory events, allowing the renewal of the licence paid by the ACO for our licensees (in addition to the number of obligatory events which of course does not change). Currently, a Karting or Rally event is obligatory, from now on a participation in Le Mans Classic will count as well.
Each post will get 2 parking spaces, which will allow Marshalls at rest and their guests to enter into the general enclosure.  Marshalls’ passes as well as their guests’ will give them access to the paddock where you can see those legendary cars up close. Do not miss this moment!
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:46 pm »

Never volunteer.  Looks like you're still on post for 24+hours, all for €15, which might cover the your food, (plus an anorak).  Does this breach the EU Working Hours Directive?  I really wouldn't want to see Marshals half asleep or eating on station/weeing in the bushes.

And is the "specific organisation" the local unemployed as paid unqualified marshals?

In the UK (9-5 events) we have an hours lunch break (very French) so the Marshals can brew up, have lunch and visit the loo etc

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »

I marshalled at a mountain bike race last autumn and got free food and beer, a goody bag, a tee shirt, a proirity entry for this years race and £100 cash per day! Im sure ACO could do better.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Rick101

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:51:31 pm »

I started marshalling a couple of years ago. Whilst I enjoy the racing and being around people with an interest in Motorsport, it's a pretty thankless task.
It's much preferable to me to book a ticket and have a day with friends but if none of the miserable buggers want to go, I'll marshal.
I tend to just do the stuff what suits me and what I want to see.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:33:52 am »

I marshaled at the Isle of Man TT for a couple of years and although the first year was great, the second year was varying degrees of misery!

There wasnt much in the way of rewards, but thats not really why I wanted to do it.  We got a free programme (worth about £15), free pint token and a marshals dinner (with 2 pint tokens!).  I think there is now a system of discounted ferry tickets if you marshal 2 consecutive years, but not sure how that works as it came in after my time.  Oh and you can keep your orange vest that has "TT Marshall" printed on it!  You can also sign up for a full day first aid course which is very worthwhile.

They have a good online system for booking your shifts and locations which seemed to work really well (though with the proviso that if there were too many in one place and not enough elsewhere you might get moved around).

I think they need around 550+ marshals in place to run a session (its approx 37 mile course and all posts have to be within line of sight of the next ones either side), so over 2 weeks thats a lot of bodies and they do sometimes struggle, particularly with the first practice sessions.  There also seems to be an issue with people signing on to marshal, taking the freebies and then not signing on shifts or turning up to actually work shifts.  You wouldnt think it worthwhile with those kinds of rewards, but everyone loves something for free!!

On the plus side you can sign up for some of the best parts of the circuit that arent open to the public but on the negative, there is an awful lot of hanging around with nothing happening and being stuck with the closed roads (though that is the same for spectators!) .

Overall I am glad I did it for the experience, but I wouldnt rush to marshal anywhere again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:37:26 am by Fran » Logged
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:44 am »

Rumour has it that things are not looking good on the marshal front for the Classic, with many of the French boycotting it. This could be one very dangerous race this year. Last time I saw posts with but five or six marshals for the 24 hours and that surely can't ever be considered safe.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:25 am »

Do they still run a shift system?

I know that with Silverstone and Wales Rally, you're expected to be the first there and the last to leave, so it makes it a very long day, But with LM its about 32 hours, plus Wednesday and Thursday, which are days off work

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: