Club Arnage
April 18, 2024, 08:16:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019-20 WEC  (Read 3854 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:49:06 am »

Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:10:52 pm »

ooooh Spa might be a good shout

Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:56:59 am »

Intrigued by the 4/6/8/12 hour formats.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:10:02 pm »

Hate the idea of 4 hours, should be 6 hours minimum IMHO to qualify as a world endurance event.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:25 am »

What Barry said.

Anyone know any good reason why it has been reduced to 4 hours?

I find it difficult to believe that it's been changed solely because of "fan feedback", which seems to be what is being touted on the WEC website, viz: "The 2019-2020 FIA World Endurance Championship calendar announced today heralds the return of two popular venues, São Paulo and Bahrain, and also introduces a revision to the duration of its different races in line with fan feedback gathered in the 2017 WEC Fan Survey"

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:40 am »

The four hour races are going to play havoc with stint lengths for the three driver teams unless minimum driving times rules don't apply.

And all that way to China for a four hour race?  And eight hours in Bahrain that barely draws a crowd of three blokes and a camel!

I think they always wanted to move away from a fixed six hours for the non LM races, and the survey question was rigged to give the result the wanted from the fans if I remember rightly.

Still, with a four hour race at Silverstone, and no F3 next year it does give the chance to have a longer more relevant race added to the card.  Endurance legends anyone?Huh

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:13:53 am »

Link to the survey below. Show 24, 6 and 12 hours in that order as the top ranked durations. 4 hours was preferred by only about 5%.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.fiawec.com/assets/ressources/Pdf/2017/WEC_Global_Fan_Survey_Media_Report.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjeltz1pfvcAhVpAsAKHQ4SCHkQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw3bqI-LBG53Kt8urNcnPRP3

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:18:37 am by mgmark » Logged

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 03:21:29 pm »

So will Bahrain carry twice as many points as Silverstone?

4 hours is hardly endurance, but judging from the F1 coverage, its how long they expect you to sit in front of the tv.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:49:26 pm »

Hate the idea of 4 hours, should be 6 hours minimum IMHO to qualify as a world endurance event.

4 hours - that's what it takes me to drive to London - so I call it other words than endurance  (and I'm the only driver!)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:46:53 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:54:00 pm »

Not sure what Silverstone must think of this especially as they'd pulled the nuclear option on cancelling F1 so (potentially) cutting off another major revenue stream for them.  Is this revenge of the FIA?

I'll still probably attend coz I love the racing but I can't see this attracting the hoards of overseas fans (ie their cars I saw in the carpark and the ones I met at the circuit) would make the effort for just 4 hours of racing.  It's almost cheaper to fly to Bahrain!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: