Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 10:48:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferry Crossing  (Read 34633 times)
Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2004, 11:03:05 am »

That ferry is actually newer than the recent  P&O Portsmouth to Cherbourg ones - Pride of Cherbourg/Le Havre. My family aptly named that the  "The Rusty Bucket"!

I will giving the Transmanche line a 'test' run in April to visit my parents.

The road from Dieppe to Le Mans is good, you basically take the road to Caen and then onwards to the Sarthe....

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2004, 11:08:15 am »

That ferry is actually newer than the recent  P&O Portsmouth to Cherbourg ones - Pride of Cherbourg/Le Havre. My family aptly named that the  "The Rusty Bucket"!

The Tunnel is becoming more alluring by the minute  Shocked

Steve East Anglian cobras

Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2004, 01:16:40 pm »

amazing what a lick of paint can do!

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2004, 04:53:22 pm »

Wink

If this ferry is going forward through the water, why does the smoke from the Funnel seem to go forward as well, and faster.

Makes you wonder.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2004, 05:13:04 pm »

Oh by the way - how long is the journey from Dieppe to Le Mans and what is the road like?

Anybody know or done the route.

Come to think about has anybody been on Transmanche before?

The run down from dieppe is very good, you can detour round rouen and go the back roads via Yvetot over a large toll bridge at Claudebecquet.

I have used Transmanche before, its a bit basic and would try the seacat,  Bookings do become available so its worth ringing from time to time.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
rcutler
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2004, 05:15:41 pm »

How old are the Pride Of Cherbourg and Portsmouth. I have sworn never to sail this route again. We were on a night crossing and it scared the s**t out of me.

Any idea if P&O Caen fast craft is new or and old hoverspeed one??
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2004, 05:29:02 pm »

Pride of Cherbourg

Built in Aalborg (Denmark) under the name of Viking Valiant for Townsend Thoresen. It was launched 4 October 1974 and was entered in service 21 May 1975 en routes Southampon/Portsmouth - Cherbourg/Le Havre.

In 1974, the Southampton service closed.

In March 1986, Viking Valiant was lengthened, a new deck for cars was added. After that, Viking Valiant operated only between Le Havre and Portsmouth.

In 1989, Viking Valiant was renamed Pride of Le Havre.

In 1994, it was transferred en route Cherbourg - Portsmouth and was renamed Pride of Cherbourg.

30 years old - happy birthday

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2004, 05:31:04 pm »

Pride of Portsmouth

Built in Bremerhaven (Germany) for TT-Line of Germany). It was launched 28 October 1989 and named Olau Britannia and operated with Olau Line between Vlissingen (Netherlands) and Sheerness (UK).

In May 1994, this service closed and the ferry was chartered by P&O European Ferries, re-registered in UK and renamed Pride of Portsmouth. It entered in service with P&O in June 1994.

It briefly operated en route Cherbourg - Portsmouth in June 1994 for the fifty anniversary of D-Day (6 June 1944). After that Pride of Portsmouth operated en route Le Havre - Portsmouth.

15 year old - a whipper snapper

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2004, 05:33:10 pm »

how do you go about making a ferry longer:o?

must have a pretty serious welder.

In March 1986, Viking Valiant was lengthened, a new deck for cars was added. After that, Viking Valiant operated only between Le Havre and Portsmouth.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2004, 05:41:25 pm »

Portsmouth Express (Caen fast ferry)

Built in 1998 by Incat Australia Pte Ltd, Hobart, Australia.

Delivered on July 1998 to Buquebus Ltd (Spain) under the name of CATALONIA.

In April 2000, she was chartered by P&O Portsmouth for the Portsmouth - Cherbourg service and renamed PORTSMOUTH EXPRESS.

In April 2001, she will sail again for P&O Portsmouth.

Capacity: 900 passengers and 220 cars

Speed: 41 knots

41 knots - caps on back to front chaps - and bring a sick bag  Lips Sealed

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2004, 05:41:48 pm »

I was thinking exactly the same thing Nordic. I've got visions of them getting hold of two ferries , one that has bow damage and one with stern damage and joining the goods bits together like they do with cars!!  Grin
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2004, 05:43:30 pm »

must have a pretty serious welder.

There's a proper word for this - jumboisation.  They put the ship in dry dock, cut it in half, pull the two parts apart and drop in a new premade section.  Then out with the welding set.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2004, 05:57:26 pm »

Here's a scan of a Naval Architecture book I have showing the concept.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2004, 06:32:05 pm »

Righty ho lets get this all right. As a once employee of this fine! company , and friends still working there i must correct you all ( except Steve )

The Pride of Cherbourg and Hampshire are now working in Israel and were sold for a lot of dosh. P&O couldnt keep them going as new legislation meant they would be spending millions of pounds per year keeping them running. They havent been on this route for over a year now .
The new P&O Pride of Cherbourg was built in 1995 for Irish Ferries and is very nice, with lots of space and good cabins.  This now runs the route all year round a with a little help from the fast ferry in the summer.

The old Jumbo's ( Super Vikings ) ran from Portsmouth and Southampton to Le Havre and Cherbourg. They were nearly  identical to the Pride of Kent which ran Dover Calais until recently. They were chopped in 3 bits, the front and back off then the upper decks , adding a "top deck " of about 200 car spaces and a cabin deck, plus a bit of structural strengthening to the main deck and the bulbuos look was complete.
These were THE most profitable boats in the P&O Ferry fleet !!

The fast craft Portsmouth Express was built in 1998 by Incat , australia and goes to cherbourg, runs on Diesel, goes fast. makes puke etc etc.

The Pride of portsmouth / Le havre are nearly identicable to Britaany ferries Val De LOIRE which runs to Spain.

These ships are the safest ships ont the channel as are certified for Deep Sea sailings to Spain.

The Transmacnhe line is a Freight service who offer cheap passenger fares to fill up the boat. Most other companies offer passenger sailings with freight to fill up the boats.

Steve you are slightly wrong as NO definate ship has been highlighted offficalilly for the Caen route although its excatly the same apart from it runs on Gas Turbines at 75% power as apposed to 95% power for the Cherbourg express. Should help to keep it running on time. Max speed is around 45 / 50 knots FULLY LADEN and i am led to believe its coming from another South American firm like the Birqabus heap they have now .

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 06:35:09 pm by Robbo SPS » Logged

Take life by the horns and live it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2004, 07:21:09 pm »

Here's a proper ship.
I did 5 months on this baby in 1985.