Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 12:03:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet access from Le Mans  (Read 16101 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2003, 02:59:59 am »

Can anyone suggest a way I might get access to the internet while I'm down at LM?

If someone on Maison Blanch (Rick?) has portable computing I could do with 15 mins or so twice a day, at no cost to me!!

Or if anyone from one of the teams or ACO can help that would be good...

Any sensible suggestions welcome!!!

via email if you'd prefer... smokie@stones.com

Gilles - if I get no offers, is there an Internet Cafe near the track? Within cycling distance...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 03:00:47 am by smokie » Logged
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 03:18:10 am »

Sorry Smokie, the MB laptop went tits up earlier this year and poor old me can't afford to replace it! Currently not planning to update live from the circuit - but if things change I will let you know!

Cheers

Rick
Liszt
CA Veteran

Beer is a legitimate breakfast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 10:26:07 am »

I will have my Ipaq and mobile with me, but you cant borrow it.  The phone charges are enough as it is.  Just invest in a couple of magazines.
For God's sake man, it's only a couple of days!
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 10:52:14 am »

It could be the case of blagging a few days of to be able to make the trip

"Yes boss, I am working from home" do a few emails now and again, and BINGO, scam complete.   Or, the wife is expected to be in labour at that time and at least this way, you can get picture of the kiddy on arrival...  Well, you wouldnt miss the race now would you  Wink

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 10:55:51 am »

Exchange has a feature where you can delay the time a mail is sent. Not sure how well it works, but I've used it before for "cover-ups"  Wink

It wouldn't be the end of the world without it, but would be better with...so keep the suggestions coming!
larry
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 11:14:03 am »

I have heard rumours of a free WIFI hot spot that will cover most of Masion Blanche and Karting Nord from some time wednesday to Sunday evening.....
A huge 2mb pipe etc - More details as I get them.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 11:30:29 am »

Larry

I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about! But there's certainly been a wiffy hot spot over MB for years. And I presume the huge pipe is to do with the Morgan owners club. Am I right, or is the Ziggy Marley concert on again?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
larry
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 12:09:51 pm »

Andy,

To enlighten the terminally bewildered - a WIFI hot spot is FREE access to the next to anyone with a PC or PDA with wireless ethernet also know as WIFI or 802.11b.

The typical range of said hot spot is between 250 & 500 metres (750 - 1500 feet) and if there are repeaters in the mix then it could be a whole lot further.

So all smokie will need to do is get hold of suitably equiped laptop or PDA and he will be able to surf for FREE!!

Larry.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 01:29:42 pm »

Larry - my ignorance is showing through. I have a Dell laptop with a wireless network card. Will that do the trick? (Forgetting the risk of theft - it's only a company laptop anyway...)

Would I need an ISP?
larry
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 02:09:06 pm »

Yup that will do the trick - all you need to do if be in range and set your card to Ad Hoc mode and channel 6 then your laptop should detect the hot spot the network name should be LocustWorld
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 02:25:01 pm »

Hmmm...Larry of you hear any more about whether it covers Maison Blanche please let me know

No ISP required?
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 02:29:03 pm »

OK now I'm really intrigued. So who is providing the WIFI? Will they know we're there? etc.......

All this techno-babble .. it's enough to turn me to drink!! OK, too late.....

larry
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 03:39:53 pm »

My understanding of what is plan, based on discusions with the guy putting the WIFI element together, is that the wifi access will be a side effect of a group of journo's who have arranged here own connection (via satelitte I believe) and will be working out of the Media centre and more importantly the Karting Nord site.

The plan is that the will be as close to the fence as possible which will mean that with out repeaters there WIFI will be covering at least 250m in all directions which looking at the details topographical plans the guy I was talking to had means that it should cover most of the southern bits of KN and the southern bit of MB - Now if they were to put repeaters in then that means that the whole of the KN site would have coverage and most of the MB....

Anyone with a WIFI enabled device will be able to surf for free - just set the card up right and off you go - expect them to restrict the bandwidth slightly when they are using it but with a minimum of 2mbps availabe (that 4 x BT ADSL) then there should be plently to go round - that is as far as my technical knowledge goes.

It is a case of await some more information which I will share as and when I have it...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 03:43:07 pm by larry » Logged
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 04:52:05 pm »

Sounds interesting! The main media centre is above the pits though, so is this something for Audi/Bentley who usually have large encampments opposite from MB?
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 05:53:47 pm »

Ok, so I have a mobile, albeit ageing.  What do I need to make it Wi-Fi and how much does it cost?  Come to that where in the south east can I take it to test once the bits are in it!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: