Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 03:17:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Gas Bottles?  (Read 8548 times)
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2003, 08:08:36 pm »

I have a new cooker which needs a regulator and a gas bottle. Does anyone know if the connections are different abroad, so If  i get a regulator and a 2nd hand bottle here I will be still able to exchage it over there for a full one.

Cheers Stu  (19 days and closing)
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 09:00:58 pm »

Yes, the bottles are standard. we use a 4 or 8kg bottle that screws onto the regulator. as it is a cooker you need a butane regulator and gas, both supplied by the same shops here, bottle is straight exchange over there.

Andy
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 09:23:16 pm »

Cheers mate for that. Now where's that yellow ad mag.

Stu
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 10:02:48 pm »

There's something I can't quite recall about different regulators for propane and butane gas. Something to do with different pressurisation in the cylinders. The applicance will most likely be OK on either, but needs the right regulator (if it's not built in).

I use the dark blue Calor Gas ones in the caravan and I don't think I can get those abroad. Mind you, I'm talking about BIG cylinders, 13kg I think.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 11:32:16 pm »

Just a word to the wise, you CANNOT get Calor Gas in France. Camping Gaz is freely available in most places though.

Depending on whether you've chased around yet or not, I've got a couple of spare small Camping Gaz cannisters you can have if you wnat them!!
rcutler
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 09:48:16 am »

Calor Gas is definatley not avaliable in France or anywhere else on the continent but Camping Gaz is avaliable. You can buy camping Gaz regulators over here but as I recall Camping Gaz is flipping expensive so it might still be cheaper to buy a new calor gas fitting here.

As for propane and butane. Propane burns a lot hotter so for bbq's and fridges it is a better option. There is a 6kg bottle that has a screw fitting regulator that is avaliable throughtout the UK.

I use a BBQ on the 6Kg bottle and it lasts all week even if we do forget to turn off.

Rick.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 04:36:14 pm »

There is something complicated to do with the difference between Camping Gaz and Calor Gas other than the fact Camping Gaz is available in Europe and Calor isn't.

After all you go to Calor Gas outlets in the UK and they will sell you Camping Gaz.

I think the difference is that with Camping Gaz you buy the bottle and therefore when it runs out you just pay for it to be filled, although in practise it is exchanged.  With Calor Gas you don't buy the bottle just rent it and therefore the refills are more expensive.

So you need to look at how often you will use it, and whether you are likely to run out whilst in France.  I went for Camping Gaz as sods law says it will run out when in France!

On the Propane v Butane arguement presumably if your Fridge was supplied with a Blue bottle it wouldn't be wise to switch to red or vice versa?
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 04:40:24 pm »

The other thing of course is the regulator fitting. They are not interchangeable so a camping gaz regulator will only fit a camping gaz bottle.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 08:42:17 pm »

Camping Gaz it is then. Complicated stuff. I'll probably set fire to the bottle after downing my first case.

Stu
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 11:44:47 pm »

Let me know if you want the bottles Stu
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 01:45:40 am »

Thanks for the offer JP. Much as I probably would take one of them, we are arriving on the Monday evening (Houx Annexe)and I notice you are travelling down on the Wednesday. I will need it for cooking and hopefully my new fridge if gilles got me it.  I will probably buy on out the local Ad Mag which sells them for up to a fiver or go to the local tip who always seem to salvage loads. La Defense, now thats a place which changes at night when all the riff raff come out. Pain in the arse to drive around as well. Hope to meet up for a beer in Le mans. I can't wait. Sorry for not replying quicker but my DVD burner has hogged the PC most of the night.

Regards and thanks

Stu
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 02:01:21 am »

Ooooh you name dropper you!! "My DVD Burner!!!" It wouldn't copy cheap imports from overseas would it??.......If I knew somene who had cheap copies from Overseas of course.  Grin

So you are the one that beat me to Gilles  for the fridge!!!  Sad

Where are you Stu. If reasonably local to Basingstoke, Hampshire,  or you pass by here on the way to the ferry, we could get together for a beer before the race and drop the gas cannisters to you!!

Agree about La Defense. I think I know my way around the roads better than "Les Taxis Bleu". Either that or they are just trying to rip of the Brits"  Lips Sealed
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2003, 10:48:10 am »

Just find an another one gas powered fridge, twice larger and a bit more new but as it costs 150 Euros I didn't buy it, still trying to find something cheaper!

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: