Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 06:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning!!!  (Read 16616 times)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2003, 07:31:04 pm »

This was posted by Stig, the moderator over on the Le Mans section of the Piston Heads Forum:

From one of the Ultima Car Club members who lives in France:

"Be careful guys, the word is that the Police are going to be very tough this year. Not only have they halved the alcohol limit, but after Jaques Chirac told the French Public that they were terrible drivers and should take lessons from the Brits, Les "flics" are out to get us! I have been stopped several times in my Caterham (may have had something to do with me banging down the gears as I entered the village where they were lurking!!)"

One of the other members also wrote:

"When I was in France last week, the local Police to the small town where I was staying, were trying out their new Lazer speedguns on the bikers."

Another wrote that he and his friends were stopped last year on Saturday night in their Mitsubishi L200 with 5 in the cab and 8 in the back. This landed them a £480 on the spot fine.

I always thought the Gendarmes were quite lenient towards us Brits. Maybe not!!  Sad

Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 07:34:02 pm »

Oh great....!!

I had better fit the rear belts to the Sud then, as it is still a little bit grey as to whether it should have them or not (1983 model, not required by law in the UK, never had them fitted originally)

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 07:59:45 pm »

Take a gun. Take two. Big ones.
If they manage to catch you, just shoot them, shoot to kill, between the eyes. It works every time.
After all the b*stards have managed to turn good old cash bribes into legal on the spot fines. In fact, shoot them even if they don't chase you.
I know some people near where we camp whos tents you can plant the guns in.
Don't let them spoil your weekend, and if you think this is a joke, I can recommend some pills for you to take which will make you realise it's worth it.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
IanB
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 08:18:17 pm »

Looks like no more shinnanikins in the Jag this year then BigH . Uncle Albert will be pleased
regards

Ian
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 08:21:11 pm »

H, tell us how many you shot last year after leaving the sports bar, 1, 2, 3 go on H, Uncle Albert, told us it was 6, was it H, was it.
Like in the old movie, Give it to him H.

Hope we don't have to help Albert put your tents up at mid night this year.

Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 08:41:39 pm »

Gimme the gun Albert, it's in the glove compartment.
Well, no, actually. The reality was that Alberts teeth were in the glove box. The old bugger's still moaning on about whiplash, maybe I should get him some cream.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 10:50:47 pm »

Hmmm... One of our party is known as "Guns" - could this be an omen?!  Smiley Grin

Take a gun. Take two. Big ones.
If they manage to catch you, just shoot them, shoot to kill, between the eyes. It works every time.
After all the b*stards have managed to turn good old cash bribes into legal on the spot fines. In fact, shoot them even if they don't chase you.
I know some people near where we camp whos tents you can plant the guns in.
Don't let them spoil your weekend, and if you think this is a joke, I can recommend some pills for you to take which will make you realise it's worth it.
H

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 12:44:26 am »

I was planning on starting a tread on this theme tonight. JPC beat me to it.
There is a very definite crackdown on speeding, crossing white lines and drink driving. There are several new toys at the gendarmes disposal to catch you speeding, most of them virtually undetectable. Spot checks for alcohol are becoming more common and Brits are no longer just waved on through.
Fines are rumoured to have been hiked by a factor of five.
I have an idea that they will be waiting for us Brits on the new A28 and the N138.
Have fun, all of you, but keep your eyes open and take it easy. A few kph over the limit on the open road will probably be ignored, but don't forget that the limit on two way roads is about 56 mph.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003, 01:03:05 am by Kpy » Logged
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 12:48:09 am »

Thanks Kpy

Any idea what the drink drive limit is?

I am sure we are all careful and don't drive whilst under the influence but I've heard rumours that the limit has been lowered. Could we perhaps be penalised even if we now just have two small (250ml) beers??
BryanC
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 12:53:36 am »

Strewth....!

That means I'won't be able to drive before the following Thursday ...

Bryan C  Shocked

And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 01:13:21 am »

Thanks Kpy

Any idea what the drink drive limit is?

I am sure we are all careful and don't drive whilst under the influence but I've heard rumours that the limit has been lowered. Could we perhaps be penalised even if we now just have two small (250ml) beers??

Dunno, about half UK limit is a rough answer, but penalties are on a sliding scale. Answer is don't risk it, but two small beers should be OK.
Limit has not yet been lowered, so far there's talk of much heavier penaltes - and they can already be heavy. This is all a result of the relatively new macho right wing government. Note how they crushed a lorry drivers strike a few months ago, just by threatening to confiscating the drivers licences if they blocked any roads. No change in the law, just a new attitude.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 01:25:38 am »

I agree, not worth the risk. Our nominated drivers have a couple of beers on the overnight ferry then hit the sack (well.....reclining chairs anyway!!) After all, we can sleep on the way down while they drive, as long as our snoring doesn't put them off too much.

Same again on the way home, they stop drinking on the Sunday night at a sensible time so that they are OK to drive by about 11am.

But I've taken my turns of being the driver so BRING ON THE BEER!!!
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2003, 03:43:09 am »

For those of you who want to play it safe, this is the drill:

Speed limits (unless otherwise signed):
Motorway: 130 kph (110 in wet conditions)
Open Road (Dual carriageway): 110 kph (90 in wet conditions)
2-Lane-Road (Most Route Nationales: 90 kph
Town: 50 kph
Conversion to english money: 1 Mile = 1.6 km

Alcohol limit: 0.5. Some people exceed this already after 1 or 2 beers, so better stay clean completely. Don't underestimate your hangover-level from the party the night before. After serious drinking even 10 hours of sleep might not get you down below the critical level.

Seat belts: All passengers (front and back) are required to wear them.

Stopped by the police: When the police signals you to stop, you are expected to pull off the road, switch off the engine, wind down the window and remain seated. The cops will come to you.

Fines: Can be heavy. I once paid around 300 Euros for overspeeding by 35 kph on the motorway.

Latest trend: They have started to measure the gaps beween cars on the motorway by using helicopters. There seems to be a minimum distance, but I don't know what it is. So if you hear a chopper and your car is not equipped with some anti-aircraft-gun, keep some distance;-)

Cheers

Werner
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003, 09:19:27 am by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
TWIT Racing
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 06:44:31 am »

Can't remember wether any of the A28 is toll road yet, but when using toll roads do not forget the favourite French trick of " les flics " standing at the toll booths and checking your start and finish times from your toll ticket, working out your average speed and Robert's your mother's brother a hefty Eurofine!

On a seriuos note they are being tough on speeding all over the country. There was a report earlier this year from the South of France of a motorcyle being clocked on the A* outside Nice at 260kph. The Gendarmes could not catch him, on the road but got him at the toll booths. They threw away both his bike and the key to his cell!

Be careful & don't get caughgt it coould spoil your weekend!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 08:56:50 am »

For those of you who want to play it safe, this is the drill:

Speed limits (unless otherwise signed):
Motorway: 130 kph (110 in wet conditions)
Open Road: 110 kph (90 in wet conditions)
Town: 50 kph

True, except that open road = dual carriageway.
Two-way roads (like most of the N138 Rouen-Alecon-Le Mans road) have a limit of 90 kph - about 56 mph.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: