Club Arnage
June 16, 2024, 08:46:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youngsters at Le Mans  (Read 8747 times)
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2004, 09:40:20 pm »

My eleven year-old son would love to go to Le Mans, and I've said we could go next June.

(I've been 3 times before, last time was 2000).  Has anyone had any experience of taking young children?  Any pitfalls to be especially aware of, ideas please?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
bgeorge104
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 09:58:19 pm »

Sorry can't help you, we've only experience of taking our two kids who've not yet reached the heady heights of an eleven year old. My daughter will be nine & my son 5 next time we go, we've been taking them camping (Houx) since they were about 6 months old.  Unless they like cold showers get 'em up early, watch them in the fair ground, don't let them take anything they're not prepared to lose. Do you have bikes, take them if you can, you can cover so much more ground with them & a sure fire way of tiring them out. Get them a camera so they can take pictures of what they want & enjoy yourselves, we have over the years.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 10:22:18 am »

...Has anyone had any experience of taking young children?  Any pitfalls to be especially aware of, ideas please?

I took my son and his mate when they were 13-14.  They had a wonderful time.  I can't think of any particular pitfalls, except one - and that depends on how much you drink when at LM.  I told them that they could drink as much as they wanted, but if they were sick, they wouldn't be able to have any more for the duration.  This allowed them some freedom, whilst I could carry on (more or less) as normal.

Obviously, a close eye is needed at all times over at the circuit, but as I say, they were very impressed with everything - the circuit, the cars and the atmosphere.

He has not yet been back - but that was more a financial thing than anything else.  He is now talking about getting up a group of his own to go next year (he's now 28).

Del

Team Delboy Racing
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 02:23:48 pm »

I can't see a problem, so long as you are responsible, i.e. no going off and getting blind drunk and leaving them on their own!

You've just got be prepared to do what they want I suppose.

mdh-photography.co.uk
ian murat
CA Veteran

mozilla firefox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 12:22:02 pm »

i took my eldest, 10, to last years.

Did the hotel trip rather than camp ended up sleeping in the car for a couple of hours during the night.  but used hotel as a base for a reasonable bed and meal and wash

no problems what so ever, there's plenty to do PS 2 stand, funfair though not cheap,  didn't do pits too exspensive

take a bike and a padlock as it did get a bit boring just staying around the main bit so we cycled to arnage

kids go free

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 07:56:18 pm »

Hi Davids Dad,
                      The important thing to remember when bringing children is the right sauce, though finding a BBQ big enough can be a problem too Grin Grin Grin
Note in Ians post how he refers to WE did this and WE did that very different form the "I got pissed" scene but  enjoyable. Thursday night practice is always well attended by the local kids and i would recomend the drivers parade in town on Friday and also exploring the city centre in daylight.
Canada Phil
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 08:03:26 pm »

Take him around the city centre under the cover of darkness.
Andy Zarse can recommend a few sights worth seeing I'm sure. He'll come back a man.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 09:50:29 pm »

And Mr Zarse is still trying to claim tax relief on these "sights"

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 10:02:48 pm »

Took my 8 year old daughter and her mother in 1990 - never, ever, again. 'Nuff said? Le Mans and those you are responsible for do not mix, under any circumstances in my sophomoric opinion.
My daughter is now 22 and drinks more than I do, so her planned return to La Sarthe in 2005 will probably see her carrying me around.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 12:20:19 am »

Started taking Brad to Gp's when he was 10, had some great times, wish I had got to LM with him earlier, now he is more useful - (well some times at 23, I still seem to get stitched on money) i.e. driving the car when I want get P-ssed, and sharing the trip back when we're both nackered. we made it our boys event (the wife and thje girls do their thing the same weekend - careful though can make it expensive!). Should be encouraged its what its all about.
Would be interesting to see how many of us first when't motor racing with our dads?
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 12:06:41 pm »

Took my 11 year old and 3 year old to the classic this year and would make the following observations.

The younger they are the less of the race you will see
Under 10 take the wife/partner ( see above)
Buy some earplugs which filter out the phrase ' how much further do I have to walk'
Take ear defenders.
Buggies don't work in the sand between Dunlop and Tetre Rouge, a large tricycle pushchair would be the answer.
The younger they are the quicker they will get lost on the campsite, 3 year old managed it within 10 minutes of us arriving on MB.
Plan some alternative activities during the day, Dad's awe at 30's Bugatti's, Bentley's and Aston's can wear thin on the PS2 generation.
You can't get p*ssed during the day, only after the kids are in bed, you need to be soberish during the day to keep track of them.

BUT, we had a really good time, and are thinking about the Classic again in 2006, but probably without the youngest.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 01:53:35 pm »

Took my 11 year old and 3 year old to the classic this year and would make the following observations.

The younger they are the less of the race you will see
Under 10 take the wife/partner ( see above)
Buy some earplugs which filter out the phrase ' how much further do I have to walk'
Take ear defenders.
Buggies don't work in the sand between Dunlop and Tetre Rouge, a large tricycle pushchair would be the answer.
The younger they are the quicker they will get lost on the campsite, 3 year old managed it within 10 minutes of us arriving on MB.
Plan some alternative activities during the day, Dad's awe at 30's Bugatti's, Bentley's and Aston's can wear thin on the PS2 generation.
You can't get p*ssed during the day, only after the kids are in bed, you need to be soberish during the day to keep track of them.

BUT, we had a really good time, and are thinking about the Classic again in 2006, but probably without the youngest.

Or just take your children to Houx Annexe during the main race and find the East Anglian Cobra Club. Ask for Steve Brown...he is Club Arnage's Chief Babysitter (as long as you have Thomas the Tank Engine books!!)  Grin
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 02:41:07 pm »

Barry, I seem to remember your eldest got a slight taste for fine champagne at the Poo bar at the Classic!

As to the sights in the town centre, I can recommend the XIVth century cathedral, the interior is magnificent with it's gothic crenellations. It is historically interesting too, as it is where King Henry Plantagenet had a bit of a dust up with the locals, I think it followed a drunken argument with the tatooed slatterns and door management of Ye Olde Relaxe Clubbe.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 04:01:05 pm »

We intent taking a bus full of swedish au pairs to look after our infants. If anyone needs to book themselves into the Brethren creche I suggest you get your application form filled in right now.
Rusty

The Brethren Rock
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »

Me Me Me!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: