Club Arnage
May 23, 2024, 06:38:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans Advice...  (Read 18374 times)
schmidder
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:21:54 pm »

In response to a posting on the ALMS forum, Amazing Randy turned me on to you fine folks at Club Arnage.  I will be in Paris with my wife the Thursday Friday before the race, and have tickets on the train arriving in Montparnasse around noon on Sat, and going back at 6 on Sunday.    Will it be hard to make the 6 o'clock train after the race?

What are my options to and from the track to Montparnasse station?  I have a 36 hour window in our vacation to go, and I couldn't be more excited.  

After 25 years of following IMSA and ALMS, attending the West Coast venues, my father and I attended an incredible Sebring race this year for the first time and my wife was ignorant enough to book travel through France the weekend of the race.  I have to go!  

I would love to link up with some of you that have been before when I get there, not sure how to make that happen?  

I prefer to roam the tracks, is a grandstand ticket even something to consider?   I just plan on my backpack and some essentials (radio, sunblock, rain gear), anything else I should consider?  I figure I can crach under a tree for a few minutes at a time when/if needed.....

I don't have a ticket yet, if I buy online, can I pick up in a 'will call' type system at the circuit?  Anyone done that before?  Is it easy?  What other options do I have?  Can I just buy a ticket when I get there??

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Erik Schmid

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:42:07 pm »

Welcome in Erik!

I cant help you with travel info but i am sure someone else will...

You can buy general entrance ticket at the gate, sleeping under the trees or on the banking is acceptable (and inevitable), bring radio for sure  - Radio Le Mans is the only way to know what the hell is going on, grandstand ticket might be difficult to get hold of (tho probably available in the sell/swap forum here from time to time) - but if you like to wander about probably not worth the extra expense.  All the essentials (beer, food, t-shirts) available at the circuit.

Thats all my wisdom for now - i am sure others will tell you more when they get back from the pub (or maybe they already went to bed!!).

Anyway, get down to Le Mans and have a great time.

Fran

redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:00:15 am »

Erik

Welcome to the forum.

Isn't Montparnasse the station in Paris, you would need to leave the circuit in the early afternoon to get there assuming there was a suitable train.

Stu
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:07:46 am »

Hi Erik

Well any friend of Randy's is a friend of ours!!!! The Turn 10 were so hospitable when we went to Sebring this year that we can't wait for some of them to make it over to Le Mans next year!

I believe Montparnasse station is in Paris? So you will need to get a train down to Le Mans. And Back. Am I right in reading that you will arrive in Paris at Montparnasse at 12.00 noon on Saturday and need to be back at Montparnasse by 6pm on Sunday? I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick otherwise you are going to be really tight on time.

As Fran says, General Admission tickets (Enciente Generale) are available on the gate for 59 Euros so no worries there! Lots of people take a break and a sleep around the circuit, but if you hook up with some of us guys then we'll be able to do better than that for you! Even if it's just a dry spot under a gazebo with a blanket we'll get something sorted!

Johnevans3 will be along at some stage. He is from Texas and he travelled from Paris by train last year and is doing the same again this year so his advise will be invaluable.

One word of warning, the viewing is rather restricted at Le Mans, especially compared to Sebring. There is high level catch fencing
around most of the viewing areas. Also, as a major part of the circuit is in fact public road 50 weekends of the year, you don't have access to the whole circuit for viewing. It's still a must do though!

Keep in touch, and we look forward to seeing you down there!

schmidder
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:07:51 am »

Stu, my (rookie) mistake.  I arrive and depart from the Le Mans TGV station.  How far is that from the circuit, any idea.  I figured I would leave right after the race, or just before it ended to make it for the 6 pm train to Paris (Montparnasse)?

-Erik
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:14:10 am »

Hi Erik!
You are in for a great time! Travel is easy - TGV from Paris takes less than an hour. Shuttle bus from main entrance will get you back to LM station in time for the 18:19 or 19:04 trains to Paris see www.voyages-sncf.com
Tickets available on the gate - no premium. Take whatever clothing you can get into a backpack, and a sleeping-bag, if you can. Inflatable mattress a big plus, if you can carry it. Grandstand tickets are not worth the money, but a cheap FM radio is ESSENTIAL for radio Le Mans - otherwise you'll have NO idea of what's going on after about 3 hours.
Feel free to PM me for any advice up to the end of this month.
Have fun!!
schmidder
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 12:15:13 am »

jpchenet,

I arrive in Le Mans at noon on Sat, and leave at 6 PM to go back to Paris (Mont).

Thanks, and I will find you guys, just give me something I can identify you guys with!

Too bad about the viewing, Sebring really was great from that aspect (the end of the back straight in the stands was wild, especially when the turn light went out for about 15 minutes toward the end of the race).  I think we are spoiled here in California venue-wise as Laguna Seca with it's natural elevation is great for viewing, and Sears Point (Infineon) with the improvements is also incredible viewing.

I will 'rough it' with the General Admin.  Will I be able to leave the circuit (proper) and go to some of the public road areas if I want?  I thought I read some posts about buses that would take me out there?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Erik
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 12:27:18 am »

Eric

You can enter and leave the circuit at any time.

There are buses that do a one way circuit starting opposite the main entrance then to indianapolis then to an area after the turn at the bottom of the Mulsanne. They get very busy though and I don't think they run throught the night.
Indianapolis has a good viewing area as it banked.

Stu
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 12:36:32 am »

The main Club Arnage get together seems to be 9 pm Saturday night at the Champagne Bar, (inside the circuit) but i am sure there will be some Sebring reunions in the Maison Blanche campsite!!!  Roll Eyes  - so they can remind us all what we missed out on!   Bitter? Me?!! Nooooooooooooooo...

Keep an eye out for CA t-shirts and flags, both of which i am sure are modelled somewhere on these forums.

F
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:40:19 am »

Keep an eye out for CA t-shirts and flags, both of which i am sure are modelled somewhere on these forums.

Absolutely the easiest way to spot a fellow CA'er. If you wander in to Maison Blanche look out for Team JP Chenet. We'll be pretty easy to spot!!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 12:57:56 am »

Absolutely the easiest way to spot a fellow CA'er. If you wander in to Maison Blanche look out for Team JP Chenet. We'll be pretty easy to spot!!

JPC forgets to advise you, he is the slightly taller race driver on that picture, having just done Silverstone in a Caterham last weekend.

Grin

Bill

Eric, stick around this forum even after the race. I promise you will be welcome and "hooked"

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:12:47 am »

Hi Erik, You made it. Roll Eyes You will need to leave right after the race to catch your train but quite doable. (i have done it) Enjoy Paris too
Canada Phil
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 03:15:32 am by Canada Phil » Logged
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 03:40:17 am »

People have already pretty much given you all the advice you need.
Look out for Club Arnarge Flags or t shirts. There will be plenty about in Maison Blanche camping. (From the start finish straight, walk in the direction that the cars are coming from on the track and you will find Maison Blanche opposite the Kart track and near the porsche curves).

Someone will probably sort you out with a tent for the night if you want to sleep.

Try and make the CA get together on Saturday night at around 9pm. The champagne bar at the top end of the village area behind the paddock. Next to the track underpass road at the main entrance.

Most important though, bring a toilet roll with you, as they will only give you about 3 sheets for a small donation in the toilets, so bring your own !

Hope to see you at Le Mans
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 11:48:24 am »

Shocked Shocked Sorry Chris, but the Shampoo bar is at the Top end of the village by the Tunnel at the Esses, (unless they have moved it of course), anyhow, judging by the number of CA's likely to turn up, itwill be difficult to miss wherever Shocked Shocked as from 9.00pm Saturday evening.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 01:54:42 pm »

Yes, I know where it is, but having just read my decription, I guess it could be mis interpretted to make someone think its behind the paddock and the othertrack underpass near the ford chicane.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: