Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 06:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bacardi 151  (Read 4819 times)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:45:26 am »

Robspot, do you know anyone in Germany??  Wink

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220251462&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:48:08 am »

Item location:  Passau, Germany
Bl00dy 'ell, JPC, that's like asking somebody in Plymouth to pick up something in Blackpool! Shocked
There's not much more south in Germany than Passau, it's on the Austrian border. No wonder it's cheap Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 01:15:04 pm »

Doesn't Gab live in Germany?

I did see that auction but I'm wary about alcohol coming from Europe and getting impounded by customs, especially at that volume!

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 01:19:05 pm »

Any luck with the Sebringers? I'll need it before Le Mans as the punch takes time to cure. If we can't get hold of 151 I'll have to use the Wray & Nephew stuff. Only 63% but it'll give a bit of a kick.

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 03:26:01 pm »

I could give a collegue a call, he used to live there, and his parents still do. Grin

On the other hand, it says 'No pickup possible' and 'shipping europe'. Shipping is 10 euro's, so the bottle would € 39,99 . Dunno what it's normal price is??
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 03:28:01 pm by LangTall_DfH » Logged

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 04:28:35 pm »

In the US it's about 22$ but in the UK it costs £70 (about 100€)  Shocked Shocked

Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 01:56:04 pm »

I've checked with Beerman, but he can't even get it

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 04:06:16 pm »

Spoke to Steve Brown last night. He's going to see if he can find it in a liquor store out there. He was on his way up to Daytona at the time having had a fantastic weekend of good company, good beer, good food and great racing. But is he happy?HuhHuh
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 04:09:26 pm »

Doesn't Gab live in Germany?

I did see that auction but I'm wary about alcohol coming from Europe and getting impounded by customs, especially at that volume!

Yes, gab is in Germany, as is HGB. If HGB can get it, I could collect it from him at Spa!

Otherwise, I wonder what the law is about buying booze from another EU country. If it's Duty Paid then would we be allowed to?
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 04:51:09 pm »

If its for your own personal use then you can personaly bring in as much as you like Cheesy But only if you buy it in the EC as the local duty is paid. Its the bit about for your "personal use" that you have to be carefull about, I belive even if you bring it for another person and even make no profit you are breaking the law, as UK duty and tax has not been paid and it is seen as a comercial transaction/smuggling.

Not to sure about what happens about buying from an other countries via a well know auction site (oddly you can not sell wine/beer/sprits etc on the UK version)  I would guess that you will possably be having it deliverd to the UK it will have to come through customs and you will have to pay duty and VAT. I have an equation some were that will tell you how much the Duty would be and it wont be cheap!! Dont forget the VAT is calculated on the total of the cost and duty. Yep they tax the tax.

I think thats right but the best people to speak to would be the Customs (also know as the The Church - C E - Customs and Excises)

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 03:21:29 pm »

Some of you may know I have family living in the carribbean and the West Indians have some excellent rums out there. Bacardi is not a popular brand in it's native lands, mainly because the locals consider it to be unadulterated muck. Personally I agree. It's like the difference between drinking Johnny Walker Red Label and a fine single malt for less money. However, there is a good choice of 150proofs available from various local distilleries. I'm sure someone will be over soon and I'm happy to get a bottle over. Personally I prefer the ordinary stength for a rounded taste.

A word of warning: you do not mess around with this 150 proof stuff, it tastes of paint stripper and it kills. And I mean this, it really kills. Please remember, alcohol is a toxin and a large intake of this strength can cause alcohol poisonning in a trice. The poisonning makes the brain shut down vital organs leading to death or serious illness before vomitting has a chance to rid the body of the poison. It might be a bit of fun to give folks a small shot neat and then laugh as they grasp their throat but if you're thinking of adding this into Tropicoma then I very strongly suggest you don't.  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 03:27:14 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 03:32:45 pm »

These high strength rums are imported by the barrel for adding alcohol to various drinks (Pony is the one I remember and must now include the Alco pops) and it is just a type of paintstripper.  I've had Puerto Rican Hi Strength Bacardi and it worried me because there was a flame trap in the neck of the bottle, and it tastes of nothing special.  There are far better things to drink, believe me.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 04:08:28 pm »

I brought back 5 litres of 70% alcohol white rum from St Lucia a few years ago (no brand name just local stuff) and used it with much enjoyment in many cocktails.

I was initially searching for Bacardi 151 because it was the only rum I could find online that was a similar strength. However, it's cost and Andy's warnings lead me to believe that the 63% Wray & Nephew white rum available in the UK may be a better bet.

This rum is not for inclusion in Tropicoma as that, I believe, is made to a thousand year old recipe which was originally created by fat albino monks.

It will be going in one of my own punches and rest assured that any punch will be fully tested by myself prior to release and any bottles containing high strength alcohol will be properly identified as such. The original idea of using St Lucian white rum allows one to vary the alcohol content of the punch without altering the taste, it's not simply a question of including bottles of the stuff in an attempt to render drinkers unconcious. I'm far too sensible for that and anyway, last time I got someone overly pissed on overproof rum it took me weeks to clean the lumps of sick out of my wicker furniture.

Pidgeon
CA Veteran

I'm a Sebringllama

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 07:12:43 pm »

Roll Eyes Shocked Someone at Turn 10 at Sebring had some 'moonshine' or sometimes called 'white lightning'. You ain't just a poopin'. That stuff will kill you. I took some back to our camp site and passed it around. All who tasted it had the same reaction. WOW !!!

A word of warning: you do not mess around with this 150 proof stuff, it tastes of paint stripper and it kills. And I mean this, it really kills. Please remember, alcohol is a toxin and a large intake of this strength can cause alcohol poisonning in a trice. The poisonning makes the brain shut down vital organs leading to death or serious illness before vomitting has a chance to rid the body of the poison. It might be a bit of fun to give folks a small shot neat and then laughas they grasp their throat but if you're thinking of adding this into Tropicoma then I very strongly suggest you don't.  Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: