Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 07:21:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the Year  (Read 24665 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 12:24:38 pm »

I've been scanning my old photos in (as if you can't guess), and I know nostalgia isn't what it used to be, but it was so different when you had 3 or 4 works teams, a handfull of private Porsche 962s, Cougars (now Courage), the WM, and then a dozen C2 cars.

I suppose the factories don't have the money and the privateers are few and far between.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 12:41:50 pm »

Lorry, unfortunately it is the way of things.  The bright side is that the old cars are still there and competing, albeit, at a reduced level. 

So, thanks to the historic series of races that are featuring around Europe now.

The next one in my diary is the Mille Miglia starting in Brescia, Italy, on the 11th May.  So that is something to look forward too, proper road racing!!

http://www.millemiglia.it/
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 01:16:10 pm »

I'm just glad I was there at the time, drinking beer at prices I couldn't believe.

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 02:22:06 pm »

Five LM incidents in particular have stuck in my mind over the years, tho the fine details are a bit hazy:-

1.  I think was a Nissan lost its rear panels and so another Nissan team (presumably same car difference team) who had dropped out gave them a rear end they had spare, so it finished the race looking like a cut n shunt.  (I think the back end was the pale blue n white colours - tho am quite prepared to be put right that was never a Nissan in the first place!)

2.  A Porsche (i think) where the bonnet flew up as he was leaving the pit lane, so he did a whole lap hanging outta the door.

3.  A car (not a clue what sort) that had a big smash and limped back to the pits, and cos the steering was shot to bits the driver couldnt get it round the corners and was trying to push it round, with marshalls helping, desperate to get it back to his garage, this was being shown on the big screen and everyone was cheering him on from the grandstands and willing it to get back for repairs.   Sadly he just couldnt do it even with thousands encouraging him....  Cry - but a heroic effort just the same.

4.  The "Sard" - based on (and recognisable as) the Toyota MR2 SW20 (which i drove for many years).  It always finished but kinda looked and sounded like it was just off to the coast for a Sunday afternoon run out.

5.  Of course the flying Mercs are memorable, goes without saying.  The "winglets"   Roll Eyes - yeah right like they were gonna do the trick.......

I am sure there are loads more but these kinda come to mind.... so - anyone name those years?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:28:52 pm by Fran » Logged
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 03:16:07 pm »

Its amazing how these things stick in the mind.  Also with the Sard were a couple of Nissan Skylines (or similar)  I was driving a Sierra at the time, and these things looked identical after a couple of beers, so I had a good giggle every time they went past, with a series of standing jokes (where did you get all the stickers from/is it your turn to drive yet)

I suppose that now I've bought a DB9, I'll have the same problems

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 03:17:38 pm »

So if we see a caravan being pulled at 150mph we'll know it's you!!  Wink Grin
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 03:19:51 pm »

I don't seem to be able to get it past 110.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:26 pm »

I've been scanning my old photos in (as if you can't guess), and I know nostalgia isn't what it used to be, but it was so different when you had 3 or 4 works teams, a handfull of private Porsche 962s, Cougars (now Courage), the WM, and then a dozen C2 cars.

I suppose the factories don't have the money and the privateers are few and far between.

I scanned my photos a few years ago, it rellay brings home just how the track and quality of entry vary thru the years.

btw. the skyline raced over 10 years ago in 95!!

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2809453.html

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »

Thanks for posting those Nordic. 1995 my first year! Brought a few memories back the noise of the Marcos and the rain.................. Grin

rcutler
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 10:21:27 pm »

Five LM incidents in particular have stuck in my mind over the years, tho the fine details are a bit hazy:-

3.  A car (not a clue what sort) that had a big smash and limped back to the pits, and cos the steering was shot to bits the driver couldnt get it round the corners and was trying to push it round, with marshalls helping, desperate to get it back to his garage, this was being shown on the big screen and everyone was cheering him on from the grandstands and willing it to get back for repairs.   Sadly he just couldnt do it even with thousands encouraging him....  Cry - but a heroic effort just the same.

If that was 2001 it was a Chamberlain Viper. Crashed at the Porsche Curves in the heavy rain. The driver really struggled to get it back to the pits. It ended up in the gravel trap where marshalls and the driver managed to get it back into the pit lane. When the car got to the garage the mechanics took one look at it and withdrew it from the race.
I felt sorry for the driver as he tried his upmost to keep going.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2006, 10:21:49 pm »

1.  I think was a Nissan lost its rear panels and so another Nissan team (presumably same car difference team) who had dropped out gave them a rear end they had spare, so it finished the race looking like a cut n shunt.  (I think the back end was the pale blue n white colours - tho am quite prepared to be put right that was never a Nissan in the first place!)

2.  A Porsche (i think) where the bonnet flew up as he was leaving the pit lane, so he did a whole lap hanging outta the door.

4.  The "Sard" - based on (and recognisable as) the Toyota MR2 SW20 (which i drove for many years).  It always finished but kinda looked and sounded like it was just off to the coast for a Sunday afternoon run out.

5.  Of course the flying Mercs are memorable, goes without saying.  The "winglets"   Roll Eyes - yeah right like they were gonna do the trick.......

I am sure there are loads more but these kinda come to mind.... so - anyone name those years?

2. - 2000

5. - 1999

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2006, 10:41:42 pm »

4.  To kinda answer my own question - seems like the last time the Sard ran was 1996, and i saw them two years,  maybe three!  Smiley
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2006, 11:00:24 pm »

1 1990, by deduction.  There was a private one in dark blue and plenty of spare light blue "works" body parts. 

The Nissan did lead briefly as it's famous for the Radio Le Mans commentary when it nudged a Toyota into the barrier on the approach to Dunlop and crawled back to the pits and they were totally confused as to what the pace car should do

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2006, 11:05:05 pm »

So if we see a caravan being pulled at 150mph we'll know it's you!!  Wink Grin
For the avoidance of doubt, you can't get a tow bar to fit an Aston, so I reluctantly went for the Peugeot instead.

garystout
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 12:29:00 am »

For the avoidance of doubt, you can't get a tow bar to fit an Aston, so I reluctantly went for the Peugeot instead.

Shame, it could be used to pull Corvettes  Grin

Le Mans is for life, not just for Christmas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: