Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 03:25:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian memorial at Arnage  (Read 8001 times)
keithk
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:54:56 am »

As many of you know there is a memorial to a Canadian aircrew that crashed near Arnage.

http://www.gtphotosport.com/lm2005/KPK002.html

It's one of my (our) regular stopping off points to remember these guys and spend a few minutes there. 

The rough translation of the inscription indicates and please correct me if I'm wrong that the plane crashed near where the memorial is, but that one of the crew is berried "near by" does anybody know where?
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:19:42 am »

Visited the memorial last year with Canada Phil, and a group of other CA's. Canada Phil may have the answer to your question.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:33:57 pm »

Can you give us better directions to it, last year they were a bit vauge.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:59:30 pm »

Canada Phil did some research into this aircraft (ongoing i think) met him and brian last year on the friday whils't he told us what he had found out.
Leave it to Phil for the info.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
keithk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:42:24 pm »

It is on the D139 just passed Aragne corner in the woods it is sign posted from the main road. When the road is open drive form Porsche allong the D139 ate what would be Arnage corner go steight on at the crossroads just follow that road for about a kilometre and there is a dirt track on the left into the woods there is a sign on the D 139 directing you to the mamorial.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:54:06 pm »

directing you to the mamorial.

Keith, I just love the idea of a "mamorial"!
A monument to breasts of yesterday and ones that have served above and beyond the call of duty. There could even be a Remamberance Service for survivors, heroic knockers of years gone by, old campaigners be-decked with medals and ribbons.

Brings a lump to my throat...
H
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:03:22 pm by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
keithk
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:23:49 pm »

directing you to the mamorial.

Keith, I just love the idea of a "mamorial"!
A monument to breasts of yesterday and ones that have served above and beyond the call of duty. There could even be a Remamberance Service for survivors, heroic knockers of years gone by, old campaigners be-decked with medals and ribbons.

Brings a lump to my throat...
H

I'm sorry to show any disrespect to this guys who died at Arnage in 1943 but being dyslexic I don’t see words. Its just a jumble of letters. Again sorry….
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:50:35 am »

No need to apologise Keith, and don't let it stop you posting, tolerance is all par for course, or cause, around these parts. Thank the Lord, and sweet little baby Jesus.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:49:42 am »

Hi guys,
            Indeed this memorial to "my boys" is an ongoing project of mine. As the memorial indicates all the crew died at the scene although at least one had bailed out. They are all buried in the Cemetery west of the city centre. in the Comonwealth War graves section along with numerous others both air and army casualties.
 RCAF Squardon 432 6th Bomber Command.
Halifax on a raid to disrupt the railyards on 23 May 1944.
One Australian , (wireless operator from memory) and a Welshman in the crew.
Keith already gve directions. I think it is a little further than a kilometer or feels it on s bicycle:) look for a tall industrial building on the right which is just beyond the left turn into the woods. road has a do not enter sign. the sign to memorial  is very small.
Canada Phil
keithk
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:01:31 pm »

I managed to track some of the graves through the CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/ Web site I will check the wording on the plaque we translated as all but one of the crew was killed at the crash site but the guy that got clear also died but was buried "locally" not in Le Mans
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 02:53:12 am »

I managed to track some of the graves through the CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/ Web site I will check the wording on the plaque we translated as all but one of the crew was killed at the crash site but the guy that got clear also died but was buried "locally" not in Le Mans
Hi Keith seems to me we need someone to translate the plaque properly for us. I wonder who put the plaque there as it was not there in 2004. Beer and a chat in MB?
Phil
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 08:13:40 am »

Hi Keith seems to me we need someone to translate the plaque properly for us. I wonder who put the plaque there as it was not there in 2004. Beer and a chat in MB?
Phil

It would be a pleasure to do that Phil. And we'll be having a drink together on MB. See you there. Smiley
chas080646

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 03:15:50 pm »

There are 4 recorded crash sites around Le Mans from a fateful day, 4 July 1943.
The sites are Belfronds, Coulonche, Paille sur Vegre & Malicorne. The site at Paille sur Vegre is marked by a very poiganant memorial to the crew of the "Lakanuki". Well worth a visit to pay respect to a v ery brave crew.
keithk
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 11:29:35 pm »

Phil

Yes be there from Monday before race weekend, sorry been away at WTCC at a "damp" Brands Hatch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: