Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 03:52:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: castrol calendar  (Read 2869 times)
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2006, 12:43:06 am »

Has any body seen the picture of an aston martin on this years calendar, have you noticed  a strange pipe thingamagigy poking verticaly outa the rear of the right hand side of the bonnet ( just behind the vent and about 18" long) does any body know what it is or does?Huh either that or a mechanic has left his idle adjusting gizmo in the orfice !!!

been there done that doing it again !
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:32 am »

Its a pitot tube, like you would find on aircraft. Its used to provide accurate information as a speedometer.

There you go, theres your answer.
RS2 Babe
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:19:31 am »

Has any body seen the picture of an aston martin on this years calendar, have you noticed  a strange pipe thingamagigy poking verticaly outa the rear of the right hand side of the bonnet ( just behind the vent and about 18" long) does any body know what it is or does?Huh either that or a mechanic has left his idle adjusting gizmo in the orfice !!!

Kiss Kiss Kiss

Having a blonde moment Mr Bongo - glad I knew what of of them is Wink
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:26:12 am »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh ........it did make me wonder, thats a bit old school innit? what with all the electronics available these days any sat nav will tell them how fast they are going Huh? less drag too !  Cheers

been there done that doing it again !
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:48:48 am »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh ........it did make me wonder, thats a bit old school innit? what with all the electronics available these days any sat nav will tell them how fast they are going Huh? less drag too !  Cheers
Checkout an F1-car, how many tubes there are still sticking out in front of the driver. It's not only a speedometer, but also measures humidity and airtemperature for the engine.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:21:13 am »

The pitot tube can be used to determine the air flow velocity, pressure, temperature and humidity to calculate the correct density.

As the tube is fitted to the vehicle it will be providing the engineers with real time information to allow alterations to the engine settings.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:25:46 am »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh ........it did make me wonder, thats a bit old school innit? what with all the electronics available these days any sat nav will tell them how fast they are going ?

And what happens when the GPS system goes down (which it sometimes does) or the sats momentarily go out of allignment? Nothing should ever rely on one core system only.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
nickliv
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:09:54 pm »

Also it wil give the cars speed through the air, rather than over the ground, something of prime importance to an aerodynamicyst / setup engineer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: