Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 03:41:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going by coach tour... a little info please! (if possible)  (Read 5659 times)
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2003, 04:25:13 am »

Hi, this is my first time to Le Mans and I am damn looking forward to t, but I got a couple of questions...

I'm going by an organised coach tour this year, which leaves thursday evening, visits paris on Friday, and get's to LM Saturday morning. Apparently we will be able to camp (i.e pitch a tent) next to the coach. Does anyone know where this might be (in relation to the track). This is so we roughly plan when to go back to the tent for food, sleep etc., and to allow time for it.

Also, when are the best times to be at different parts of the track. Obviously the busiest point will be the start and end of the race, but at other times is it easy to get a decent view, or are the viewing areas always chock-a-block (i.e. packed! Cheesy )? I plan to stay up till after dawn, then sleep Sunday morning...

Anyway, that's my questions, can't wait till LM, and will probably post again here before Thursday! Cheesy

mdh-photography.co.uk
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 09:04:27 am »

Don't know where the coach is parked so can't tell you that one. Your right that its busy around the start, but you can get around the circuit easier the later it is. I like it when it turning dark and the cars are lit up. Fantastic. My favourrite spots are in no particular order,

Tetre Rouge and before leading up to the corner. Both sides give a good view of the cars thundering up to the corner. Arnage corner and Mulsanne corner (both require transport although a shutle bus runs up to about 22:00. I also like watching them come through the Ford Chicacane as you get a good sense of speed. Information and maps etc are available here and on the main site at www.clubarnage.com. Also get  Autosport (just came out) as it has a good guide in.

Hope that is of some help and don't forget a small radio with ear pieces. An essential bit of kit for Radio Le Mans on 91.2 FM.

Have a good time

Stu (who's leaving tonight)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 09:40:33 am »

A few tips:

Enjoy it
Take the radio
Travel Light
Be prepared to walk to see the accessible parts of the circuit, so take something comfortable for walking and a backpack to stick some basic suppies like bottled water in - standing in the terraces near the start for a couple of hours can be bloody hot!
Get the Autosport Le Mans guide
Check out the various discssion threadson this site - you'll find all sorts of useful info amidst the banter

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 02:31:03 pm »

Cheers guys, I got most of that stuff already, Autosport guide, radio etc.

Also, how far can you walk around the circuit? The Autosport guide shows spectator areas from the Ford chicane to Tetre Rouge, plus the bits at Arnage and Mulsanne. But can you walk any further? My 2002 DVD shows tents by the Porsche curves etc., with no obvious barriers.

mdh-photography.co.uk
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 02:32:44 pm »

Also, we're coming from Paris early Saturday morning. How long can we expect to take to get in? with traffic etc?

mdh-photography.co.uk
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 06:13:34 pm »

Hi Mike
I think you'll find that your coach parks in the main coach park (now there's a shock) opposite the main entrance. Good for access - but crap for camping. Take a battery drill to make holes for your tent pegs - 6" nails. The ground is flat but hard.
Viewing enclosures are from Porsche curves to Tetre Rouge and I agree with earlier replies - best spots are Virage Ford and the braking area before Tetre Rouge. The circuit has changed recently in the stretch between Dunlop bridge and the esses, which has taken away the opportunity for "Hail Mary" braking dives into the esses and I understand that there will be temporary grandstands in this area this year - so if you want a decent view from the outside of the circuit, you'll have to stump-up some more dosh (don't get me started on this subject!)
Take a radio, wet weather gear, stout walking boots and something to tote your beer (which pansy suggested water?)
Unofficially, you can watch the cars on the Mulsanne straight, between Tetre Rouge and the 1st chicane if you trudge with stealth across the fields and through hedges on the outside of the track south of the Tetre Rouge underpass (go under the bridge and turn right onto the first farm track). Go under cover of darkness. We've done it about 5 times and it is one of life's great motorsport experiences - elbows on the armco with cars passing at nearly 200mph, ten feet away. Most of the track marshalls are on the infield of the track - but you should endeavour not to be spotted.
Travelling from Paris on Sat morning - you should be prepared for some serious traffic getting in - but if your coach operator is up to snuff, you should be sipping champagne at noon.
Next weekend will change your life - soak it up!

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 07:22:55 pm »

Matt - you have bottled water to mix the whisky, that is unless you want the sh*ts from using tap water.......

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 08:57:43 pm »

Matt - you have bottled water to mix the whisky, that is unless you want the sh*ts from using tap water.......

mgmark
Pansy status unconditionally withdrawn.
Seriously, beaucoup de l'eau highly recommended, unless you want to spend 50% of the event horribly bent out of shape. I speak from bitter experience (of the Tetley variety).
Have a great Le Mans.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 02:26:35 am »

Sounds good guys, I may indeed attempt the getting on the Mulsanne straight plan. If I go about 2am, it should be alright I should think. Cheesy (don't tell anyone I said so!)

Hopefully the camping area will be OK, the tour blurb reccomends taking a tent, and apparently there are barbecue facilities, any clues to the location Cheesy Cheesy?

As to having a good time, I think that's a given!!

mdh-photography.co.uk
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 03:28:40 pm »

We camp near the mulsanne, its well worth the effort to get there. If you want any help, or a beer  call us. Taking a cammo net this year as extra disguise.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 04:55:59 pm »

Good thinking Rhino, I have Camo trousers but they are urban, grey and white! Cheesy

Get green ones though, I am persuading my group to give it a try! Cheesy

mdh-photography.co.uk
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 05:20:38 pm »

Check with your tour operator Mike where the coach will be parked. There were a lot on Expo last year but they were all parked on hard ground, not ideal for pitching a tent!!
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 06:57:31 pm »

We were indeed on Expo (I believe, alongside the airfield and opposite the main entrance), and probably about as far away from the entrance as you can get without leaving the area altogether! But still only 5 minutes walk, if that to the entrance.

You guys were right about the camping ground, it was hard, luckily softer by the fence, wich we camped next to, and tied our tent ropes too Cheesy

And Matt, we (or some of us anyway) got to the Mulsanne straight, an amazing experience, despite stepping in a Marsh in the field on the way! My own fault, my mate with the torch should have been in front reallly, but I insisted on walking ahead Cheesy

An amazing weekend, can't wait for next year (sadly the guys I went with are from all around the country, so I'm unlikely to see them much till then, which is a shame as they were great guys)

mdh-photography.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: