Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 09:30:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOUX ROUNDABOUT FRIDAY  (Read 27214 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2006, 11:57:22 pm »

Sure, Chris - and after you've been set-upon by the baying mob and beaten to a lifeless pulp, you can be satisfied that justice has been served. I think this phenomenon is called 'pack behavior' i.e. the assailants only have the bottle to perform the assault, when backed-up by the rest of the pack.
My feeling is that unless you wish to to put yourself and your cherished car at risk to these low-life pond-dwellers, stay the hell away.... and in situations where there is no alternative (as happened to me in 2001) aim your car at the a-hole blocking your path and do your best to run the neandethal bastard over. 
What is this 'Mad Friday' crap anyway? Why does anyone feel that this event gives carte-blanche to illegal, downright dangerous and utterly childish behavoir? Anyone participating in or spectating who gets injured or worse, only has themselves to blame, as far as I'm concerned. This ain't harmless fun. If you feel the need to demonstrate what a hot-shot you are get a competition license and do it properly, instead of acting like a bunch of brainless TWOCers. Jeeezus, where's the Tylenol? 

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2006, 12:11:21 am »

The problem there Chris was that "the crowd" seemed to take the side of the offenders from what I saw.
Robster
CA Veteran

"Les Garagistes"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2006, 08:55:38 am »

You're absoloutly right.  In fact, having seen this happen over a number of years, and have some idiot try to pour beer into my car at the roundabout this year. I would quite happily see the whole Friday event shut down by the gendarme.  It's no longer any fun, just dangerous and I don't like the feeling that it's not safe to take your car out of the campsite on a public road, just because it's Friday.  Complain to the police and hopefully the whole thing will be clamped down on.
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2006, 03:59:08 pm »

For all the reasons mentioned in this thread I will not be returning to Houx roundabout nor the road alongside MB / Bleu.

Went to these areas last year and got a face full of verbal abuse, punching the car and face full of water……and I was attempting burnouts.

I did not bother going to these areas this year.

It seems that many of today's Le Mans goers are trying to create a 'new' Le Mans atmosphere that revolves around stupidity and lack of respect.

That is not the atmosphere I believe I read about many years ago, that convinced me to start the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans.

I will continue to go for the race and keep my fun to the group of mates I go with. The idiots I saw this year seem to think that just because they find it funny then everyone else will.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 06:57:47 pm »

We went to ARnage on Friday night for a few hours and a few beers and to see the nice cars...

On arriving, whilst trying to park, some "person" thought it nessacery to throw his beer at me.

Being slightly short tempered i remioved myself from the van, and walked gently up to him and his mates.

I asked him if he wished to buy me a drink as his last effort to give me a drink had missed my mouth and landed on my shirt.

No fisty cuffs, despite a few worries from my chasing pack of mates, but i explained that i thought he was a bit of a c ock and then left with fluck you very much, master bater.

Again an area i wont be going next year, as its lost its sparkle. Les flicks were there, so that argument isnt valid.

I thinjk one day it will end up in a huge fight, as Brits nerver take things lying down and it will ruin the event for a long time to come.

So...

Lets all ridicule the idiots. Oh next year, if some turd throws beer over me...

We will have a 25 gallon water tub for him.

Take life by the horns and live it.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 07:14:53 pm »

... Oh next year, if some turd throws beer over me...

We will have a 25 gallon water tub for him.

Make it a little more obnoxious, Robbo, like the contents of the porta-potti.

I endorse most of the comments already given, and also feel that there is a major accident waiting to happen.

I recall several years ago, before Friday became 'mad', they used to have burnup sessions on a quarter mile stretch of tarmac in the middle of parking Bleu (maybe this is now in the middle of Camping Bleu Nord??).  It was good fun, relatively safe, and off the public road and no cause for aggro to anyone.  Unfortunately, it crept over on to the road, and over the last 10 years or so, has 'developed' into what it is today.  Like others have stated, I never go near the black spots either in the car or as a spectator.

There is enough fun to be had at LM without the dangerous stupidity of these antics.

Rant over - time for bed said Zebidee......

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Radar
CA Veteran

What is this llama sh*t anyway?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2006, 04:10:29 pm »

Lighten up fellas - Mad Friday is part of the fun. Le Mans wouldn't be the same without a bit of free sprited pratting around. Nothing wrong with trashing a few tyres.

The problem comes when things go too far - like the idiot who managed to park his MX5 among the spectators on the Houx Annexe roundabout while trying to do a donut - taking out a couple of spectators on the way. Or the bloke who let his kids stand at the front - and let them stay there after one of them had been hit by another car.

Sooner or later someone will get seriously hurt, and the gendarmes will really clamp down. Then its over- for good.

fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2006, 05:50:04 pm »

I agree with most of it.. I had to run the MB gauntlet on friday night going to arnage in my old mitsubish galant estate with 8 people in it Shocked just held back while the burnouts and water pistols etc went for it.. then fly through..

We were in the harlequin (out the back) having a drunken meal while it was going on in arnage, and the froggy police would stop them, then let them carry on.. crazy dutch mainly( good larf tho!!) but nothing too serious.. but methinks it will go too far soon..

roll on next year Grin

Andy

SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2006, 06:58:50 pm »

Radar, I don't think we are heavied down.  As you go on say, things are starting to go too far because people are either too stupid or too drunk (or both) to realise it and we're just discussing that.

Surely the people who pour beer or p1ss into other people's cars wouldn't want it done to their Citroen Saxos!
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2006, 12:08:54 pm »

Lighten up fellas - Mad Friday is part of the fun. Le Mans wouldn't be the same without a bit of free sprited pratting around. Nothing wrong with trashing a few tyres.

Well that seems to me to be part of the problem. Its all good fun and games up to a point and I for one, who used to indulge in the odd smokey tyre stint,  now looks for an alternative route. You seem to contradict yourself Radar, in one sense you are asking us to lighten up because its ok to pratt around and then you see sense and comment that it has gone to far.
This subject was commented upon last year and I for one warned the Le Mans virgins in our group this to avoid the trouble areas.
Last year I was in the Se7en, which is quite capable of doing doughnuts and burning lumps out of the tarmac, and I was stopped by a couple of drunken w***ers just before the level crossing in Arnage who inspite of the local gendarmerie watching wanted me to do something silly. I gave both of them some Northern verbage and they eventually moved out of the way. I really dont mind the water pistol or super soaker challenge, its quite good fun and fairly harmless but beyond that its just pure vandalism and thuggery. Roll Eyes

Does it really only have full throttle
Radar
CA Veteran

What is this llama sh*t anyway?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2006, 04:09:56 pm »

I take your point. Pouring beer or buckets of water into cars or having a go at people cos they don't want to burn a clutch out isn't on. Personally, I just hope the abusive schmucks get bored and find something else to do.

That said, I think the general pratting about in cars is part of the Le Mans experience - in the UK it would never be tolerated, and the odd burnout doesn't harm anyone. Immature? Certainly, but its still fun. And in the past, it didn't get out of hand

Yes, the past couple of years there have been too many idiots, and if we're not careful someone will get badly hurt, the police will clamp down, or both. Maybe a clampdown for a year is what's needed, I don't know.

But my point is - is it really that bad? Yes there is some pond-life around, but Le Mans is still the best weekend of the year as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely be back next year. Why let the idiots put you off?

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2006, 04:14:11 pm »

Perhaps the point is that they're turning something we all once enjoyed and which was once harmless fun into a prattfest.  Wouldn't keep me away from the race either - just Houx R'bt on Friday.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2006, 11:22:33 pm »

I recall several years ago, before Friday became 'mad', they used to have burnup sessions on a quarter mile stretch of tarmac in the middle of parking Bleu (maybe this is now in the middle of Camping Bleu Nord??).  It was good fun, relatively safe, and off the public road and no cause for aggro to anyone. 

I remember those days too, I also remember moving my tent as I was somewhat concerned about the chances of a car ending up in it!  However was fantastic and relatively safe and off the public road.  Even watched a transit beat a porsche over the course!
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2006, 01:03:36 am »

Never been to HA roundabout or Blue.

I used to regularly do Indianapolis on friday midday before going to LM square until les Flick seemed to shut all that down after the Ferrari/Seat hit and run incident a couple of years ago. ( all captured on video too )
Shame really as it was great fun watching Arnie Webb and the rest of his crew from the Catreham Club pulling their stunts.

Whatever happened to the drag racing in Houx Annexe on Sunday evenings ?
That was a top shout, albiet incredibly dusty. There was no hooligan element at all, just good nature, oh and a few broken motors. Hey but that was the price of playing.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2006, 04:00:03 pm »

the drag racing  also used to happen in down the centre of Houx campsite as well back in the '80's on a Sunday.

remember seeing a jag (racing a 2cv) pile into a lamppost which quickly came down, luckily between occupied tents!  1990?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: