Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 07:22:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferry Costs- how do they work?  (Read 35888 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:22:40 am »

When I looked weeks before the race the cost range from £19 e/w (speed ferries) to over £375 rtn (Brit Ferry).

In the end, out with LD Portsmout to Le Harve (even thou I thought Iwas going to Caen) £55 one way - ferry 1/2 full

return Sea France Calais to Dover £ 60, including a £18 extra to get the earlier crossing. Again boat was 1/2 empty.

If they gave the sensible prices in the first place, I would have booked earlier and ahd my money for longer, and they could have a fuller ferry, making more money.

I wonder what was the average cost for everyone (car + 4 people)

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:07 am »

I always do the Dover - Calais run with P&O.

Last year I booked in January ( 5 months in advance) and it was £138 return for a car and 4 passengers.

This year, same time ferry same car 4 passengers only it was booked 9 months in advance I was charged £60 return.

It must be a matter of book early before the demand rises and get the bargains. I will be booking early again this year.

Sea France and P&O are always priced within in a couple of quid of each other no matter when you book so I presume there is a sliding scale of charges again depending on how early the booking is made.

The one problem with booking so early, as was the case when booking for this year, is that the ACO may not have published the race date but a gamble on the 24th weekend usually works.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:12:26 am by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:53:01 am »

I have got a frequent travellers deal with Eurotunnel.  This costs £350 for 10 single trips.  Even if you just make the race and the Classic, this is beginning to make sense.  Add a couple of booze cruises, a trip to Spa and you're there.  It's limited to off peak travel but only costs £20 or so to alter this.  I realise that it's particularly good for residents like me wanting to go back to blighty occasionally but could make sense for some CAers?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:36:39 pm »

A Carnet on Sea France. £400 for 10 single trips. That way a nice rest on the end of the journey for either breakfast or afternoon meal.

Wooosh!!!!
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:06:14 am »

Never ever will i use the chunnel.

Ride on, sit next to your bike and wait..

Rubbish

Ferry for me, regardless/

This year however our costs were :

Car + 2 = £237
Car, Trailer + 2 = £412
Minibus, Trailer +16 people = £804

We saved £1000 by going out, Poole to Cherbourg and returning Caen to Pompey. I thought Brittany Ferries were poor and not much to do on the boats. Food out was good, on return very poor.

IF we could use someone else we would, but its too much driving for some.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 07:55:26 am »

Brittany Ferries Poole Cherbourg and back fast boat both ways was £272 for car + 2 booked in January.

I live 8 miles from Poole so the extra cost is worth it to save the drive to Dover.

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:37:02 pm »

Rubbish

It's quick, and I get sea-sick.  What can I say?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 04:33:15 pm »

The tunnel is by far the most efficient way to cross - all formalities done at the exit port and just drive off and on to the motorway on the other side. Having said that we almost always use Speedferries at £19 a crossing and about 30 miles saved each way.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 04:45:17 pm »

and about 30 miles saved each way.
You should subtract the distance between Folkestone and Dover from that, if you're coming from the North... and the boring trundle through the town of Dover itself.  Having said that, there's good and bad with both, just thought the "season ticket" deal might suit some.

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 04:49:13 pm »

I have a 140 mile drive before Dover and 260 after. I find the 1 1/2 hours on the ferry a good break, couldn't sit in the car for 35 minutes and then start driving again so if the tunnel was cheaper I would still use the ferrys.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:04:47 pm »

I have a 140 mile drive before Dover and 260 after. I find the 1 1/2 hours on the ferry a good break, couldn't sit in the car for 35 minutes and then start driving again so if the tunnel was cheaper I would still use the ferrys.
Driving south after the train arrives is not compulsory. There are decent food facilities in Cité d'Europe right next to the Tunnel exit. They are open 'till late to cater for the cinema crowds.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 07:08:22 pm »

The tunnel is by far the most efficient way to cross - all formalities done at the exit port and just drive off and on to the motorway on the other side. Having said that we almost always use Speedferries at £19 a crossing and about 30 miles saved each way.
Oops, looking at Termie's posts makes me realise I only save 40 miles per return journey over the Tunnel with Speed ferries. 60+ miles over the Calais - Dover ferries.
The Tunnel is tops, Speedferries suits us for price.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 08:45:37 pm »

Speedferries are ok if you are not carrying a roof load, prices for these went up a lot this year, about £113 return. Booked early, September, for crossings with P & O, high load, £60 return.

But will be going back to SeaFrance if poss next year, faster ferries and the food on P&O was awful.

Total thumbs up to Speedferries for forcing down crosschannel prices, shame they are not the cheapest by a long way for us anymore.

neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 03:02:58 am »

we booked with LDLines back last Sept.  got  a great rate of £140 inc cabins return.

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:30:56 pm »

Rubbish

This year however our costs were :

Car + 2 = £237
Car, Trailer + 2 = £412
Minibus, Trailer +16 people = £804

We saved £1000 by going out, Poole to Cherbourg and returning Caen to Pompey. I thought Brittany Ferries were poor and not much to do on the boats. Food out was good, on return very poor.

IF we could use someone else we would, but its too much driving for some.

Robbo

You might want to look at LD Lines from Portsmoth to Le Havre, problem is only 1 crossing each way a day, out of Portsmouth at 23:00 return from Le Havre at 17:00.  Not used them yet, but doing so nest week on route to Brittany.  The return crossing with Brittany Ferries was over £500 inc Cabins.  With LD Lines it is £250.

Incidentially we went Sea France, would be reluctant to do so again, charged extra for getting the 23:00 crossin instead of the 23:45 and then found there was no hot food on it, or draught beer!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: