Club Arnage
April 26, 2024, 01:00:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blend 37, well I never......  (Read 13391 times)
24hourman
CA Veteran

Racing is life everything else is just waiting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 06:12:09 pm »

Peirre Levegh did indeed race  solo in the 1952  le Mans  race and was leading the works  Mercedes by 4 laps in His Talbot when the engine broke with 90 minutes to go he was thus unclassified. It was his  guts and determination and driving skill which he extolled in the 1952 race which was noticed by Alfred Neubauer team manager of Mercedes. Levegh's breakdown gifted Mercedes the win. On the  strenghth of this drive and the fact that his breakdown allowed Mercedes to win  helped land him the the works drive for Mercedes in 1955. The rest is history. To see the pierre Levegh letters to Alfred Neubauer regarding this drive and to view some of the newspapers relating to the accident go to http://www.24heuresdumans.co.uk/content.php/340
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:24:54 pm by 24hourman » Logged

Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 06:31:50 pm »

Let’s play a little longer, I will post the answer on Friday. But if you can't wait that long Bob, the answer is on the label Grin

Oh no it isn't……..

There are different explanations given for the name Blend 37 on the latest jar labels however these are all fictitious.

Nescafe Blend 37 was launched in 1955. Significance with a major occurrence at Le Mans (the previously mentioned crash).

There is no definite answer as to how Blend 37 came by its name. The most likely explanation is, when the product was first being created, the blend which was chosen from numerous different ones, was the 37th blend.

Therefore I think the connection with Le Mans was that it was launched in the same year that the great race experienced a very dark day.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 07:30:45 pm »

thanks for your input Christopher, I think we have already established that I am a 'mug' Sorry about the pun.  Grin
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 07:37:13 pm »

thanks for your input Christopher, I think we have already established that I am a 'mug' Sorry about the pun.  Grin

Opps....

And I thought we were still looking for a genuine link to Le Mans and that the 1955 connection was it......

But apparently Blend 37, like Le Mans is "a favourite with men between 25 and 44 years old."

(I got that last bit from some sales blurb....sorry)

......Fancy a brew anyone.......tea......its a good drink......keeps you going!

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 10:57:34 pm »

that would nice, one sugar....................... Cheesy
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 11:23:20 am »

Pierre Levegh got close, but the engine let him down. I don't think anyone has ever finished the race driving solo.

Pierre Levegh was an alias, his real name was Pierre Bouillon IIRC. Levegh was an anagram of Velghe, the name of his uncle who competed in early long distance races.

Levegh drove for about 23 hours before a crank broke IIRC, it was this level of commitment that got him the drive for Mercedes in 1955.

I'd recommend reading 'Managing A Legend: Stirling Mos, Ken Gregory and the British Racing Partnership', pages 154-157 for an account of the 1955 accident.

It's written by Robert Edwardes and is well worth reading simply for its own sake.

A very good book.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 06:21:29 am »

YES and a good sport too Roll Eyes
Phil
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: